Music Festivals given go ahead from late May...

Chrisp1986

Update from Y Not, scheduled for 29 July

Apologies for the radio silence, we’re continuing to explore every avenue possible to allow the best chance for Y Not to go ahead safely. Thanks for your patience & support thus far, we’ll be updating everyone as early as we can next week.

https://twitter.com/ynotfestival/status/1408409724123504646?s=20

Edited by Kim Wrong-Un
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

BUT...then cancelled Shambala and Boomtown BOTH go and create and offer to me mini-versions of themselves for the same weekends they would have been on. What does that mean?! Is it that they can afford to develop these events and then not lose massively if forced to cancel? It certainly isn't because they know that these new events are absolutely guaranteed - there are no indications to suggest there'll be a differential plan for events of different sizes (not that we know anyway), if 19 July (or whatever) doesn't lead to lifting of all legal restrictions.

Shambino is set at 4,000 capacity - so I reckon that's a very deliberately chosen number allowing them to have a contingency whereby they can operate it under Level 3 restrictions if they're absolutely forced to.

By the sounds of it, Boom Village is quite a bit bigger and so probably is a different story.

• Upvote 1

Cropredy just cancelled (I wasn't planning on going this year but am still on their mailing list from years past). Was supposed to be mid August:

Hello Fairporters,

I’m very sorry to have to inform you that we have finally run out of time to stage Fairport’s Cropredy Convention this year.

We’re left with no other choice than to postpone our festival until 11-13 August 2022. We have reached the point where we’d need to spend BIG money without any certainty we could go ahead.

Like the rest of the festival industry, we’ve tried everything we can to keep going but I’m afraid we would be placing Cropredy’s future in serious jeopardy if we were to wait any longer. The dilemma we are facing is very simple – go ahead and risk potentially going out of business or postpone for a year and live to fight another day.

So far, despite over six months of lobbying, the government has failed to support any form of Covid-related cancellation insurance scheme for the festival industry. Also, there has been no guidance on what mitigations might be required post Step 4. This has made it effectively impossible to plan this year’s event.

I have spoken to all the acts booked for Cropredy this year. They (and their representatives) have provisionally agreed to transfer the bookings to the same days and times in 2022. This means we will carry forward the same great line-up into 2022. I am sincerely grateful to the acts, their managers and agents for their understanding and support.

All tickets purchased for the 2020 and 2021 festivals will automatically roll over to 2022. This will help us keep the festival going throughout the coming months while we prepare for next summer. I want to thank you all for the understanding you’ve shown in this. Of course, if you can’t attend in 2022 you will be entitled to a refund*.

I also want to thank everyone involved in the planning of the festival so far. They’ve worked through some of the most difficult challenges our industry has ever known. We are grateful for the Culture Recovery Fund grants we’ve received - as intended, the funds have filtered through to our suppliers and helped them keep going through these lean times.

The last 15 months have been an incredibly frustrating time for all musicians and Fairport are no exception. We are obviously in regular contact and I know they were really looking forward seeing everyone at Cropredy next month. Having to postpone comes as a bitter blow to them.

This is a pretty emotional time in the Festival Office as you can imagine. It is the second festival I have had to postpone – on my watch! However, I promise that we will return and when we do it will be AMAZING!

Again, if you can hold on to your tickets, please do. Knowing you will be with us again next year means a great deal to us at this time.

We will see you in the field at Cropredy next year but until we do, on behalf of all at Team Cropredy, please look after yourselves and each other.

Gareth Williams
Festival Director

*If you can’t roll your tickets over to 2022 and require a refund, please contact The Ticket Factory. I shall publish a link later today on the websbite. Cropredy is not the only festival to postpone in the last few days so please be patient with The Ticket Factory staff who are all still working from home. Your funds are secure and they will deal with your claim as quickly as they can.

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Cropredy just cancelled (I wasn't planning on going this year but am still on their mailing list from years past). Was supposed to be mid August:

Hello Fairporters,

I’m very sorry to have to inform you that we have finally run out of time to stage Fairport’s Cropredy Convention this year.

We’re left with no other choice than to postpone our festival until 11-13 August 2022. We have reached the point where we’d need to spend BIG money without any certainty we could go ahead.

Like the rest of the festival industry, we’ve tried everything we can to keep going but I’m afraid we would be placing Cropredy’s future in serious jeopardy if we were to wait any longer. The dilemma we are facing is very simple – go ahead and risk potentially going out of business or postpone for a year and live to fight another day.

So far, despite over six months of lobbying, the government has failed to support any form of Covid-related cancellation insurance scheme for the festival industry. Also, there has been no guidance on what mitigations might be required post Step 4. This has made it effectively impossible to plan this year’s event.

I have spoken to all the acts booked for Cropredy this year. They (and their representatives) have provisionally agreed to transfer the bookings to the same days and times in 2022. This means we will carry forward the same great line-up into 2022. I am sincerely grateful to the acts, their managers and agents for their understanding and support.

All tickets purchased for the 2020 and 2021 festivals will automatically roll over to 2022. This will help us keep the festival going throughout the coming months while we prepare for next summer. I want to thank you all for the understanding you’ve shown in this. Of course, if you can’t attend in 2022 you will be entitled to a refund*.

I also want to thank everyone involved in the planning of the festival so far. They’ve worked through some of the most difficult challenges our industry has ever known. We are grateful for the Culture Recovery Fund grants we’ve received - as intended, the funds have filtered through to our suppliers and helped them keep going through these lean times.

The last 15 months have been an incredibly frustrating time for all musicians and Fairport are no exception. We are obviously in regular contact and I know they were really looking forward seeing everyone at Cropredy next month. Having to postpone comes as a bitter blow to them.

This is a pretty emotional time in the Festival Office as you can imagine. It is the second festival I have had to postpone – on my watch! However, I promise that we will return and when we do it will be AMAZING!

Again, if you can hold on to your tickets, please do. Knowing you will be with us again next year means a great deal to us at this time.

We will see you in the field at Cropredy next year but until we do, on behalf of all at Team Cropredy, please look after yourselves and each other.

Gareth Williams
Festival Director

*If you can’t roll your tickets over to 2022 and require a refund, please contact The Ticket Factory. I shall publish a link later today on the websbite. Cropredy is not the only festival to postpone in the last few days so please be patient with The Ticket Factory staff who are all still working from home. Your funds are secure and they will deal with your claim as quickly as they can.

Just got that myself. Been a few times, not so much for the music but it’s a great wee festival, village pubs, car next to tent , very relaxed. Fairport were one of the Glastonbury originals. Acts like the Levellers,Richard Thomson and Avalon stage acts are regulars. All down to the lack of government support for the festival industry.  Frustrating. 

27 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Just got that myself. Been a few times, not so much for the music but it’s a great wee festival, village pubs, car next to tent , very relaxed. Fairport were one of the Glastonbury originals. Acts like the Levellers,Richard Thomson and Avalon stage acts are regulars. All down to the lack of government support for the festival industry.  Frustrating. 

Yeah had some lovely times there back in the day! Very chilled, very civilised and as you say the pubs near by are great.

20 minutes ago, Ollie 1995 said:

Anyone else planning on going to Boardmasters in August? They're still selling afterparty tickets and other extras (bold move) so must be pretty confident of it going ahead?

I wonder if Boardmasters are at the point where it doesn’t really matter whether they cancel now or cancel the day before the gates open, they’re stuffed either way. After cancelling 2019 due to the weather as well as obviously 2020, this year happening must be pretty crucial.

32 minutes ago, Ollie 1995 said:

Anyone else planning on going to Boardmasters in August? They're still selling afterparty tickets and other extras (bold move) so must be pretty confident of it going ahead?

I don't imagine that any organisers are confident of going ahead but are ploughing on in the hope that they will.

8 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Just got an email from Green Man basically saying they've not made a decision yet and hope to update next week, doing all they can etc.

Just had one as well. Yet another festival making the point that government-backed festival insurance in the case of a forced Covid cancellation is crucial - it's just a pity nobody is listening.

30 minutes ago, sjseabass said:

I wonder if Boardmasters are at the point where it doesn’t really matter whether they cancel now or cancel the day before the gates open, they’re stuffed either way. After cancelling 2019 due to the weather as well as obviously 2020, this year happening must be pretty crucial.

Boardmasters aren't an independent, they're owned by Superstruct who also own Truck, Kendall Calling, Tramlines, Sziget, and many others and have huge VC backing. So if the ownership group feel it's worth continuing then they'll be able to find the money to do so regardless of what happens this year.

I guess it's possible that the owners just decide missing 3 years on the trot is enough and pull the plug though.