Music Festivals given go ahead from late May...

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, charlierc said:

I'm kinda confused about the news this morning that Formula 1's British Grand Prix race at Silverstone is allowed to go ahead with a full capacity crowd of around 140,000 people on race day (July 18th) yet a ton of smaller festivals have been stopped in their tracks. The Euros getting increasingly bigger crowds for games at Wembley is one thing but I don't feel like these two events are really that far apart as far as set-up goes.

If I was being cynical, which I am, I'd say that one is likely to have a higher proportion of punters that will be Tory voters than another.

Having said that, they could be focusing more on events where people tend to be seated / remain in place for a large part of the time rather than wandering all over the shop as you get with a fest.

I'm sticking with my first answer.

1 minute ago, Quark said:

If I was being cynical, which I am, I'd say that one is likely to have a higher proportion of punters that will be Tory voters than another.

Having said that, they could be focusing more on events where people tend to be seated / remain in place for a large part of the time rather than wandering all over the shop as you get with a fest.

The point about people sitting and remaining in place at sports events as opposed to wandering around in festivals does seem correct if you compare the pilot events in Download festival and the Wales Albania football game.

Only anecdotal but there seems to be quite a few on Download forums saying they have been told to isolate by the track and trace after the festival last week.

So far I haven’t seen anything in Twitter or the Welsh football forums about anyone being asked to isolate out if the 6000 who went to the pilot in Cardiff.

Thats not scientific of course but it will be interesting to see the difference when/if they produce the results.

10 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I'm kinda confused about the news this morning that Formula 1's British Grand Prix race at Silverstone is allowed to go ahead with a full capacity crowd of around 140,000 people on race day (July 18th) yet a ton of smaller festivals have been stopped in their tracks. The Euros getting increasingly bigger crowds for games at Wembley is one thing but I don't feel like these two events are really that far apart as far as set-up goes.

I believe that the Government views things solely through the lens of "what appeals to my base" and then acts upon the answer. I would imagine that relatively few festival-goers are established Tory voters or red wall targets so they just don't matter. 

9 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

The point about people sitting and remaining in place at sports events as opposed to wandering around in festivals does seem correct if you compare the pilot events in Download festival and the Wales Albania football game.

Only anecdotal but there seems to be quite a few on Download forums saying they have been told to isolate by the track and trace after the festival last week.

So far I haven’t seen anything in Twitter or the Welsh football forums about anyone being asked to isolate out if the 6000 who went to the pilot in Cardiff.

Thats not scientific of course but it will be interesting to see the difference when/if they produce the results.

Yeah I think the download thing will derail it - too much self isolation after events would be bad for business, and I doubt they'll get rid of the track and trace

My current Cynical view is that download will be the last camping event this year but I hope I'm wrong 

Posted this in the Boomtown thread but just incase anyone else hasn't seen;

Boomtown is putting on a smaller festival this year named 'Boom Village' taking place over the usual Boomtown weekend. It was originally going to be held for locals only and at a capacity of just 4000. However, i've just been reading through the FAQs and had a look on their socials, and it appears they are now opening this up to the general public as they're confident all restrictions will be dropped in time! 

I thought this was a local event, why have you opened it up for anyone to buy tickets?

We initially launched Boom Village as a locals only event when it was still unclear as to whether we would be moving into Stage 4 of the government Road Map. However, it is now looking increasingly likely that by the time of the festival we will be in Stage 4 and most restrictions will be lifted, however we still plan to keep the festival small and intimate but just open it up a little wider. After offering those who live nearest to the festival site the opportunity to buy the discounted tickets first and a month to purchase them before opening up wider, as of Monday 28th June the tickets will go on general release. At the heart of it, Boom Village is still going to be strongly focussed on the local area with Trinity Winchester as our main charity partner, as well as partnerships with Winchester Uni, outreach to local families and local entertainment offerings. We are in discussion with many local traders, crafts people and much more to ensure that it absolutely is a local, family friendly, small and intimate festival"

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Oh you sweet, sweet child!

Grand Prix, Wimbledon, Open Golf, Euros - all massively high-visibility events that can display bouncing Boris's brilliance in full effect, Britain Rules The Waves. 

Music festivals - lefty, hippy filth. 

The prosecution rests, m'lud. 

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22
  • Upvote 10

30 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

Except, as I've suggested before, risk of transmission with 140000 seated, but also up and about, getting food and drink etc is no less than, say, 10000-15000 milling at a festival.

It'll be fascinating to see how they manage prestige events after 19 July. This morning's chosen cabinet monkey again suggested that 19 July is (a) on and (b) would mark the removal of all legal restrictions and requirements. If that is true (yes, we've all seen Tory truths over the past year/decade/lifetime...) then festivals thereafter absolutely can happen as normal. If they differentiate thereafter because they favour certain types of event, so help me I may do something bad. 

Ben

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Except, as I've suggested before, risk of transmission with 140000 seated, but also up and about, getting food and drink etc is no less than, say, 10000-15000 milling at a festival.

It'll be fascinating to see how they manage prestige events after 19 July. This morning's chosen cabinet monkey again suggested that 19 July is (a) on and (b) would mark the removal of all legal restrictions and requirements. If that is true (yes, we've all seen Tory truths over the past year/decade/lifetime...) then festivals thereafter absolutely can happen as normal. If they differentiate thereafter because they favour certain types of event, so help me I may do something bad. 

Ben

If you're having "research events" on the weekend just before the 19th, at the very least events will not be free to open as normal on the 19th. I say at the very least because I'd be shocked if they actually removed social distancing elsewhere, but either way it shows events are going to be subject to different rules 

Edited by efcfanwirral

51 minutes ago, Quark said:

43 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

Silverstone is kind of a hybrid between the two. There are lots of seated grandstands around the course, plus it is spaced out and I'm aware that the relatively out of the way location of Silverstone means public transport isn't used so much compared to, say, a London city centre venue. But Silverstone has a lot of general admission areas of people just wandering around picking a spot to sit on the grass. It also has surrounding campsites that I know regularly get locals gatecrashing it. 

I live nearby and while I haven't been there for a race itself, I have been to see Kaiser Chiefs play it (they played there the night before the 2014 F1 race) and it is a very different environment to a general sports stadium with fixed seating. To me it feels closer to a festival-style set-up than the likes of Wembley do.

14 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

If you're having "research events" on the weekend just before the 19th, at the very least events will not be free to open as normal on the 19th. I say at the very least because I'd be shocked if they actually removed social distancing elsewhere, but either way it shows events are going to be subject to different rules 

I need to stop reading about and listening to this stuff. It's making me furious. Double standards, failing to publish test event results reports, failure to underwrite a whole industry because they don't like it...

It's just all so transparently duplicitous. And we are powerless. With the current HOC majority and polling inexplicably improving for these bastards, we are currently powerless. Maddening. 

Ben

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, charlierc said:

Silverstone is kind of a hybrid between the two. There are lots of seated grandstands around the course, plus it is spaced out and I'm aware that the relatively out of the way location of Silverstone means public transport isn't used so much compared to, say, a London city centre venue. But Silverstone has a lot of general admission areas of people just wandering around picking a spot to sit on the grass. It also has surrounding campsites that I know regularly get locals gatecrashing it. 

I live nearby and while I haven't been there for a race itself, I have been to see Kaiser Chiefs play it (they played there the night before the 2014 F1 race) and it is a very different environment to a general sports stadium with fixed seating. To me it feels closer to a festival-style set-up than the likes of Wembley do.

Well exactly. But the VIP lounges will be stuffed full of Tory donors revelling in the false impression that the A-listers in there like them. Fuckers. 

Ben

55 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

I need to stop reading about and listening to this stuff. It's making me furious. Double standards, failing to publish test event results reports, failure to underwrite a whole industry because they don't like it...

It's just all so transparently duplicitous. And we are powerless. With the current HOC majority and polling inexplicably improving for these bastards, we are currently powerless. Maddening. 

Ben

Channel that anger - retweets, sharing the stories, getting it out there what they're doing. Writing to MPs etc- we probably don't live in a democracy anymore but until its official we can still try! 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Oh you sweet, sweet child!

Grand Prix, Wimbledon, Open Golf, Euros - all massively high-visibility events that can display bouncing Boris's brilliance in full effect, Britain Rules The Waves. 

Music festivals - lefty, hippy filth. 

The prosecution rests, m'lud. 

Ben

^^ spot on.

I get angrier about these double standards every day. I’ve given up watching the news now it’s makes my blood pressure rocket 😂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stuie said:

^^ spot on.

I get angrier about these double standards every day. I’ve given up watching the news now it’s makes my blood pressure rocket 😂

I remember back in Feb 2020 having concerns that the government would be happy to cancel festivals yet would allow the events such as Wimbledon to go ahead as that’s where them and their friends normally go. It didn’t happen last year but looks like it might happen this one sadly.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to add your rising blood pressure! 😆

Edited by Ozanne

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I remember back in Feb 2020 having concerns that the government would be happy to cancel festivals yet would allow the events such as Wimbledon to go ahead as that’s where them and their friends normally go. It didn’t happen last year but looks like it might happen this one sadly.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to add your rising blood pressure! 😆

Yes, probably should have seen it coming from a mile off. I really don’t know why we are surprised. It’s just typical Tory behaviour really.

3 minutes ago, stuie said:

Yes, probably should have seen it coming from a mile off. I really don’t know why we are surprised. It’s just typical Tory behaviour really.

They smell blood. All they need to do is string it out through the summer, get to winter when it's likely unsafe to have indoor events and they'll have destroyed most of the industry. Then they can rebuild it in their soulless corporate image with the help of a certain large organisation who seem pretty close to them 

Edited by efcfanwirral

6 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

They smell blood. All they need to do is string it out through the summer, get to winter when it's likely unsafe to have indoor events and they'll have destroyed most of the industry. Then they can rebuild it in their soulless corporate image with the help of a certain large organisation who seem pretty close to them 

That breaks my heart. But they won’t win. The grass roots/independents/party collectives will push back through. It might take a while but they will. 

They are the reason we have our rich cultural and musical heritage, not the corporations. 

4 hours ago, charlierc said:

4 hours ago, Quark said:

Basically agree with both of these. It is the whole seated thing why they'll let it but at 140k it's still nonsense.

Just now, incident said:

Someone posted it on the Latitude forum earlier - basically Melvin was interviewed on Radio 4 earlier today (start of the show), and confirmed that they're officially a test event.

Amazing nice one. I'm doing it- been waiting for this news. Latitude and a few days in Norfolk - genuinely excited about something for the first time since before this all started 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chapple12345 said:

Looking as if Melvin Benn has confirmed with DCMS that Latitude is going to be another test event. I'm very excited to go, although a bit mythed as to why it would be classed as such after the 19th

Because the 19th is not a guaranteed point of total restriction easing.

11 hours ago, stuie said:

They do not like that plenty of bands speak out about injustice. They say we’re all ‘woke lefties’ and taking away one of their platforms (e.g. Stormzy and 100,000 at Worthy Farm screaming ‘Fuck Boris’ live on the BBC) is a source of great satisfaction for them.

The incompetent DCMS secretary has ‘forgotten’ about the culture and media aspects of his job.