Music Festivals given go ahead from late May...

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, Fish Bulb said:

Not sure if this completely scientifically accurate, but I think it means festivals are completely safe and they should restart immediately.

Sounds solid enough to me.  I’ll pack me bags. 

1 minute ago, bennyhana22 said:

Cool. I guess that almost everyone will have taken a phone and that they'll likely have had (and not uninstalled) the app as they'll have been understandably desperate to do anything, including committing to giving up their first born, to get back into those fields!

Ben

Yeah, that sounds likely.

The problem is that it means that people will be getting pings from the app because someone they stood a couple metres away from for an hour or so while watching Frank Turner subsequently logged a positive test.

That kind of interaction would be risky in a badly ventilated space, and so the app would be right to flag it, but outdoors the odds of them catching something are miniscule so if people leave contact tracing on it's going to mean a lot of needless isolating.

38 minutes ago, incident said:

Yeah, that sounds likely.

The problem is that it means that people will be getting pings from the app because someone they stood a couple metres away from for an hour or so while watching Frank Turner subsequently logged a positive test.

That kind of interaction would be risky in a badly ventilated space, and so the app would be right to flag it, but outdoors the odds of them catching something are miniscule so if people leave contact tracing on it's going to mean a lot of needless isolating.

I assume most people would put the app off once inside the Festival?

Can confirm at Download not everyone was using the app.  There was an option to sign in manually at a desk by the gates rather than log in to test and trace.  Given the poor data signal on site, and the need to leave both Bluetooth and Location Services on for it to work, I doubt everyone would have left it on for the whole weekend as it wasn't great for battery life.  Will be interesting to see how many people send back their post-festival tests and what results we get.

2 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Nicola Sturgeon announcing an end to 'major remaining legal restrictions' in Scotland on 9 August, that following a further easing of gathering numbers on 19 July.

Nip and tuck for sooooo many events, now...

Ben

She has a habit of changing dates after seeing what Boris does. Basically just copies him but announces it a week or so later so she gets a free party political broadcast and maximum media coverage. Just like today’s July 19 announcement. 

29 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

She has a habit of changing dates after seeing what Boris does. Basically just copies him but announces it a week or so later so she gets a free party political broadcast and maximum media coverage. Just like today’s July 19 announcement. 

Yeah, I am starting to see that pattern, Chris, but good to have it confirmed by someone north of the wall!

Ben

Fiona Stewart from Green Man and Andy Smith from KC on 5Live now. Being interviewed re festivals. Stewart saying it is crunch time now as they have payment dates imminent but that Wales might have SD rules in place for the rest of the year. 

New report from the Public Accounts Committee released today. 'Eighth Report - COVID 19: Culture Recovery Fund'.

Read here.

Festivals are making difficult decisions about whether to risk their survival by going ahead this summer, but the Department has not modelled the cost of underwriting festival indemnity insurance.

Recommendation: The Department should write to us within three months setting out what it intends to do to support those that were under-represented in terms of the funding they received from the Culture Recovery Fund such as freelancers and festivals.

I don't think there's any appreciation for the urgency with which festivals need help. In three months, the season will be all but over.

20 minutes ago, kalifire said:

New report from the Public Accounts Committee released today. 'Eighth Report - COVID 19: Culture Recovery Fund'.

Read here.

I don't think there's any appreciation for the urgency with which festivals need help. In three months, the season will be all but over.

I think that's signalled their intent - to allow festivals to cancel off their own backs

2 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

This is where populism works in our favour - it's getting such a lot of traction now on news shows,  papers and MPs kicking up a fuss in parliament that the usual next step is for them to give in in some way

What I’d also add is there aren’t many left to go this year to insure!

I'm kinda confused about the news this morning that Formula 1's British Grand Prix race at Silverstone is allowed to go ahead with a full capacity crowd of around 140,000 people on race day (July 18th) yet a ton of smaller festivals have been stopped in their tracks. The Euros getting increasingly bigger crowds for games at Wembley is one thing but I don't feel like these two events are really that far apart as far as set-up goes.