Music Festivals given go ahead from late May...

Chrisp1986

41 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Thank you! 

The setup was outstanding. It took me around 3 minutes to walk from my tent to the 'arena'. I've never been to 2000 Trees but I've been told that it is very similarly set up to how DL was this weekend and it has made me really want to go there next year (or ArcTanGent) because everything about the Pilot was far, far better than regular DL. 

I've made quite a big post about the weekend on the DL sub if you want to read a little more about it 🙂

Yeah 2000 Trees you can take your own alcohol in too. It's very basic like the toilets etc but the sound is great and you are paying a fraction of the cost. As for Download as a festival I can't but agree with you, every other festival I've been too is better organised. Even the long wait to get in Birmingham Slam Dunk but tbf they sorted that out the following year.

Went to Beardy Folk for the weekend.  Really nice to be sitting in a field drinking beer and listening to live music though most of it wasn't to my taste really.  And it was bleeding freezing at times being on the top of a hill!

Was amused when a friend of a friend when chatting about festivals said to me "oh someone I work with goes to Glastonbury as a performer" when I asked who it was he assured me I wouldn't have heard of him.  On pressing him, it was Lekkido!  I stepped back and said "heard of him?  He's a legend!".  I think he was quite bemused at my reaction (I may have gone on about him a little too much and gone through my phone to find photos from 2019!).

Hoping Farmer Phil's goes ahead in August - he's said it will if at all possible.  Fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, Homer said:

I may have missed it but there wasn't great deal of that after hours. My memory was of lots of places playing 80s-type stuff like Everywhere by Fleetwood Mac and everyone singing along. It was still good fun though.

I saw guilty pleasures are on the list- I remember them being on at Williams Green in the past 

7 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I saw guilty pleasures are on the list- I remember them being on at Williams Green in the past 

Yeah, GP is good fun. Went to it at Koko years ago. They finished the night with Never Forget and a glitter cannon going off.

They put together a backing band to open West Holts in 2007. Magic Numbers came on and did ABBA; one of the Marleys did Charles and Eddie; Guy Garvey did something; and Suggs finished it off with Love is in the Air (bit of star quality). I wish they'd do it again.

Edited by Homer

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Yeah, I recall something similar. Ah, who cares? Chems and a random wander around on a Saturday night. What's not to love?

If I had a car, I'd have a ticket and be in exactly the same mindset! Enjoy!

(I swear when I went there was definitely music til 2/3am including some live stuff but that was so long ago I can't say for sure)

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Yeah, I recall something similar. Ah, who cares? Chems and a random wander around on a Saturday night. What's not to love?

Shack https://instagram.com/we_are_shack?utm_medium=copy_link are awesome, you'll find them in The Woods, opposite end & otherside of the lake to Forbidden Forrest - handmade dj booth, infact he's in the process of building a new one, you can see on his Insta stories building it this weekend - all vinyl sets, usually do a whole night of filthy funky house, loves his DnB😁

Quite often Solas has a decent dj playing too.... it's all about the random finds at Latitude rather than the listed line-up😉 

We'll 100% be Chems then a wander on Sat night 😁

2 hours ago, Havors said:

They havent put him under the comedy section so yeah i think so, sunday afternoon. He plays a lot of music so he will be perfect for main stage sunday afternoon. 

Edit: Yeah i love Simon Amstell too... gutted when he left buzzcocks ha 

I think they've put Bill Bailey on the Obelisk because the comedy tent gets so flippin rammed every time he's on, they were stopping people entering last time as it was at capacity.

He is absolutely made for a larger stage though, saw him a few times at Eventium Apollo & he'll def smash it on the Obelisk😁

11 minutes ago, DirtyLurker said:

Shack https://instagram.com/we_are_shack?utm_medium=copy_link are awesome, you'll find them in The Woods, opposite end & otherside of the lake to Forbidden Forrest - handmade dj booth, infact he's in the process of building a new one, you can see on his Insta stories building it this weekend - all vinyl sets, usually do a whole night of filthy funky house, loves his DnB😁

Quite often Solas has a decent dj playing too.... it's all about the random finds at Latitude rather than the listed line-up😉 

Fontaines for me if we go! 

2 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

If I had a car, I'd have a ticket and be in exactly the same mindset! Enjoy!

(I swear when I went there was definitely music til 2/3am including some live stuff but that was so long ago I can't say for sure)

Decided to chance it and bought ticket

I'm driving down solo and will passing Leeds coming down the A1 (M)  on my right if you need a lift on the Thursday morning. Plenty of room in a big car if you need it. No cost.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Some good news today.. Having previously cancelled, Shambala have announced that they're running a reduced capacity festival on their usual dates.

What's interesting is that they're combating the lack of Government support by running a form of self-insurance scheme by requiring a £40 non-refundable "Community Indemnity Pledge" with each ticket to offset the risks.

2 hours ago, DirtyLurker said:

See you there, then! Thanks for the heads up.

A "jungle golden era" set would set the night off right.

The Shambino thing looks cool! Good luck for those getting tickets, sounds like you get priority if you had tickets for a cancelled one previously? The crowd funded pledge thingy is interesting. Would love to go to that but think this year we will stick with their Camp Kin thing as I know my other half isn't really up for a full on festival just yet.

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

The Shambino thing looks cool! Good luck for those getting tickets, sounds like you get priority if you had tickets for a cancelled one previously? The crowd funded pledge thingy is interesting. Would love to go to that but think this year we will stick with their Camp Kin thing as I know my other half isn't really up for a full on festival just yet.

It looks good but the tickets start at £130 plus £40 non refundable amount if it’s cancelled. But having paid £30 to support them when they were cancelled last year then this feels a bit much. 

also I expect the prices to go up massively for next year. 

2 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

It looks good but the tickets start at £130 plus £40 non refundable amount if it’s cancelled. But having paid £30 to support them when they were cancelled last year then this feels a bit much. 

Yeah can understand that. I think the £40 thing came out of the survey they did a while back and people said they'd be up for doing it.

I've actually never been to Shambala (it's always been on the list!) But have been following this closely as we booked in for the socially distanced camp kin and wondered if I'd wish I'd gone for this instead.

They say that if the festival does end up being cancelled in the worst case scenario (which presumably means cancelled on the day Gates Open), then the Indemnity Pledge will only cover ~15% of their costs. My (first hand) experience of the organisers has been that they're very professional and trustworthy, and I've got more respect for them than any except maybe the Eavii, so I do believe them on this.

They're being very up front about exactly what's being asked for, and why it's needed, and so I think it's a reasonable option for those that are prepared to take the risk. As for it not being included in the ticket price - I suspect that they probably have to keep them separate for legal purposes as they need to avoid this part of the money being covered by the various legal protections that ticket purchases have.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, dotdash79 said:

It seems expensive but I’ve seen campsites charging £50per night this summer for a pitch, everything’s a bit off this summer cos no ones going abroad. 

If the prices go up next year after people paid £30 to support them and then gambled £40 a head to help them out this summer then I shall have no option…. But to tut quietly as I book my Tickets

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Copperface said:

Decided to chance it and bought ticket

I'm driving down solo and will passing Leeds coming down the A1 (M)  on my right if you need a lift on the Thursday morning. Plenty of room in a big car if you need it. No cost.

@Copperface- this is an absolutely amazing offer. I've been out all evening (my mate's starting a tag rugby team to try shed the lockdown weight) but wanted to make sure I came back to you!

Bizarrely, a friend messaged me about Latitude today (he's in London) so I think this might be a goer! 

I'll let you know later in the week if that's okay but I genuinely think this might happen. 

Thank you again! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/concerts/download-festivals-melvin-benn-bringing-back-latitudewere-going/

This article is interesting and sobering. Live music is on life support- I didn't realise quite how badly. Frank turner's comment at the end worries me

" I asked the staff what was going on, and they told me that I didn’t have to wear one if I didn’t want to. I was, like, ‘That is wild!’ "

This comment made me think, if festivals of a sort do happen this year it's likely they'll operate under no restrictions after entry. So you could be wearing a mask on the train down there and take it off for the weekend.

They'll become places of even more escapism than they already are!

6 hours ago, zeppelin said:

@Copperface- this is an absolutely amazing offer. I've been out all evening (my mate's starting a tag rugby team to try shed the lockdown weight) but wanted to make sure I came back to you!

Bizarrely, a friend messaged me about Latitude today (he's in London) so I think this might be a goer! 

I'll let you know later in the week if that's okay but I genuinely think this might happen. 

Thank you again! 

No problem. I'm meeting a group there but they're coming from London and Somerset so I'm travelling alone anyway. Not much of a diversion for me.

Coming back up first thing on the Monday. 

Just let me know.👍

• Upvote 1