Music Festivals given go ahead from late May...

Chrisp1986

It's mad how much this situation has kept changing. I remember there being such a sense of optimism about festivals when the roadmap was announced, tickets selling out etc. I really thought at that time that there would be a good run of them this summer, even if I wasn't getting to go to one. Now it just seems so uncertain and as others have said it really doesn't have to be. Totally on the government.

2 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Lefty festivals bring in a pittance in tax and have unimpressive turnovers tho compared to yer Euro's and so on - I mean Glasto gives most thair money to charities and so nothing to tax there. They're not typically stuffed full of big name sponsors and so on either. Local community projects / local enconomies - as above: big corp is all that matters to Govt plc. as they make all the contibutions to the party and offer all the well paid non-exec / consultant / lobbyist jobs to MP's and so on.

Glasto brings in 2.5 million in VAT on tickets alone - so it's not nothing.

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

Can you imagine the hysteria in the media? Christ alone knows what it'll be like. First step? Stop publishing the daily CV figures. If they continue to publish and broadcast them in the same way post-19 July, it'll be nigh on impossible to return to 'normal'...

Nah - the media need to stop broadcasting them every day but it's important to transparency around the whole thing that the figures are still there for those that want to see them. 

2 minutes ago, Boilingtent said:

An industry of mostly freelancers who will get new jobs and pay tax elsewhere has sadly caused them to not give a shit.

And I think this "lefty festival" thing does have something in it - these things promote tolerance, diversity, enjoyment and a feeling of freedom even for a few days

All things this current government seems to hate...

10 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Glasto brings in 2.5 million in VAT on tickets alone - so it's not nothing.

Fair enough, but must be peanuts compared to whats generated for the economy by Wimbledon, Silverstone, Euro's etc. What I'd say is that its not enough for Govt to be trifled with in the context of those events.

27 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

I think you are the one thats being hysterical here to be honest.

This year was always going to be a transitional year and the focus on getting vaccines rolled out. Which meant big events particularly in the first 3/4 of the year were likely under threat.

Yes. You're probably right. Or I work in frontline healthcare. Definitely one of the two. 

Ben

• Upvote 6

7 minutes ago, mikegday said:

Tramlines part of ERP! ‘an announcement will be made fairly soon’

https://accessaa.co.uk/kendall-calling-cancelled-as-latitude-and-tramlines-become-pilots/

Wow. More than one is interesting. Wonder if y not maybe made it through over kendal for the following weekend? Though kendals wording made it sound like there would just be one camping event 

Edited by efcfanwirral

14 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Nah - the media need to stop broadcasting them every day but it's important to transparency around the whole thing that the figures are still there for those that want to see them. 

Well yes to transparency, obviously, but the fact is that they're bombarding the public daily with figures about a disease which, currently, is of little proportional significance to health resources compared to so many others. By doing so, they perpetuate everyone's obsession and create, for many, a scenario whereby 'safety' can only be reached when those figures are zero. 

I've mentioned it before, but in 2017 the U.K. had over 50000 excess deaths above expected, most of which were from influenza. The British public neither knew about this, nor did anything 'happen' as a result. Compare that to the current death rate from COVID-19. Please don't for a second infer that any of the deaths are 'ok', but the fact is that people do die from infectious disease every day. And currently more are dying in the U.K. from diseases that are not from CV...

Ben

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Melvin on 6music news now talking about Download and Latitude...

He is saying it's not been confirmed as a pilot yet, he is just feeling very confident it can go ahead.

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

He genuinely believes the government is doing some kind of insurance. "I'm certain that it's coming."

Interesting - well if kendal knows it's not the camping event, but Latitude isn't confirming it is...maybe someone else got it

Kendal will feel rightly screwed over if the insurance comes in...

Edited by efcfanwirral

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

He genuinely believes the government is doing some kind of insurance. "I'm certain that it's coming."

Thing is, while I don't think it was ever an official promise there were well placed people within the Government briefing that, essentially the Government would step in to offer something if the private sector hadn't by June 21st.

Obviously that was before they pushed the date back, but it's now time and obviously no private sector insurer has been or will be crazy enough to insure against the policy whims of the Government.

4 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Melvin on 6music news now talking about Download and Latitude...

He is saying it's not been confirmed as a pilot yet, he is just feeling very confident it can go ahead.

That's interesting. I was just about to pull the trigger on Latitude on the understanding it was a test-pilot. Might hold fire now...

3 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

That's interesting. I was just about to pull the trigger on Latitude on the understanding it was a test-pilot. Might hold fire now...

Kendal Calling gave it away without mentioning names I think. That is the only reason Melvin is so confident, enough to announce more acts and stage splits. He has the ear of ministers and its no coincidence he has ran all the other pilot events. 

6 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Interesting - well if kendal knows it's not the camping event, but Latitude isn't confirming it is...maybe someone else got it

Kendal will feel rightly screwed over if the insurance comes in...

I imagine that Latitude are the pilot but he isn't allowed to say it yet? He was a bit cagey on details.

It'll be on listen again if anyone wants to see if they interpret it differently! 

Just now, Havors said:

Kendal Calling gave it away without mentioning names I think. That is the only reason Melvin is so confident, enough to announce more acts and stage splits. He has the ear of ministers and its no coincidence he has ran all the other pilot events. 

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I might just take the plunge. I'll get a refund if it's canned

Just now, Havors said:

I cant imagine they would still be going if they didn't pay the artists? 

He's referring to Download Pilot, which had all the acts playing for free.

To be fair, I don't think that's indicative of anything. The whole thing won't have been cheap to put on as it was genuinely pulled together in approximately a month start to finish with tickets sold arguably below market value price.

Just now, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I might just take the plunge. I'll get a refund if it's canned

I'm thinking the same. 

Though I do wonder if he's doing this to sell tickets and that he's no more confident of getting the one events research slot than anyone else...