Music Festivals given go ahead from late May...

Chrisp1986

5 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I do think Reading vs none at all then yes anyone who tests positive is turned away - but give them the option a few weeks before to decide not to take the gamble- there'll be plenty waiting around who will take on their ticket - I know I would love to go if it happens. There are creative ways around it but I agree it's unlikely standing events will happen this year without social distancing.

If you're using vaccine proof, which I'm not sure helps for reasons below but they seem to have decided its fine, then most will have two by then though so that's not to say they won't press ahead with some events however unlikely it sounds 

In terms of more test events - I mean we don't know how much spread is actually stopped when pravalence is high as we've only been locked down or low prevalence since they got rolled out - there are people going into hospital after 2 jabs so you clearly can catch it afterwards and Chris whitty said people will still die from it after 2 jabs..

If they go with vaccine proof only, which I think they will, it can still spread. So I guess a whole new load of test events for indoor events for winter will be needed post rollout, and I don't think we'll be as pleased with the results as the summer pilots. That's if they even bother because they'll know the results and won't want to be seen as reckless.

Well it's not down to me anyway what they do.

I mean apparently it's not about the cases and just about the deaths etc. But Hungary have 67k capacity crowd in their game tonight with a higher daily death and 7 day average but their case rates are very low.

Edited by thewayiam

Dear friends of WOMAD,

Like everyone we have been waiting for the decision on the Government’s “Roadmap” and further lock down easing. With the announced 4-week delay in the lifting of restrictions we are not able to confirm WOMAD 2021 today without understanding the realistic level of Government support in the event of a forced Covid cancellation and the basis on which large scale events are going to be allowed to proceed. 

At this time, we need to look further into the details as they come out and talk some more to our suppliers and artists to understand what we can do and how much further we can travel down this road.

Despite this frustrating delay, the confidence expressed by ministers that restrictions will be lifted in the days before WOMAD is due to go ahead has given some optimism and we are trying to establish what, if any, Government backed financial underwrite will be available to enable WOMAD to extend and manage its already considerable risk.

Of course, our priority is to be able to present a safe event and to minimise any risks to our festival family and we will work tirelessly to achieve this goal.

Thank you for your continued support we would not have got this far without the extraordinary commitment of our suppliers, artists, and you our festival fans who put your hands in your pocket and make WOMAD possible.

We will get back to you later this week.

The WOMAD Team 

>> https://womad.co.uk/womad-festival-2021-update/

28 minutes ago, westholtschic said:

Dear friends of WOMAD,

Like everyone we have been waiting for the decision on the Government’s “Roadmap” and further lock down easing. With the announced 4-week delay in the lifting of restrictions we are not able to confirm WOMAD 2021 today without understanding the realistic level of Government support in the event of a forced Covid cancellation and the basis on which large scale events are going to be allowed to proceed. 

At this time, we need to look further into the details as they come out and talk some more to our suppliers and artists to understand what we can do and how much further we can travel down this road.

Despite this frustrating delay, the confidence expressed by ministers that restrictions will be lifted in the days before WOMAD is due to go ahead has given some optimism and we are trying to establish what, if any, Government backed financial underwrite will be available to enable WOMAD to extend and manage its already considerable risk.

Of course, our priority is to be able to present a safe event and to minimise any risks to our festival family and we will work tirelessly to achieve this goal.

Thank you for your continued support we would not have got this far without the extraordinary commitment of our suppliers, artists, and you our festival fans who put your hands in your pocket and make WOMAD possible.

We will get back to you later this week.

The WOMAD Team 

>> https://womad.co.uk/womad-festival-2021-update/

Isn’t it a lost hope, as the government haven’t so far underwritten festivals? I would fancy going if it’s on, anyone been and how good is it?

28 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Isn’t it a lost hope, as the government haven’t so far underwritten festivals? I would fancy going if it’s on, anyone been and how good is it?

Also as my mate has just said do they really think that 20,000 will be allowed to mingle 3 days after the lifting of lockdown with no social distancing.

4 minutes ago, westholtschic said:

Also as my mate has just said do they really think that 20,000 will be allowed to mingle 3 days after the lifting of lockdown with no social distancing.

I think that for the whole of 2021 to be honest

There's a reason they haven't underwritten anything 

Edited by efcfanwirral

1 hour ago, westholtschic said:

People are looking a bit too blindly at what they want over the reality of what the situation is.

The minute they government supply backing and they all cancel we all pay for that. We are already all paying for covid for the next god knows years I'm taxes.

6 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

People are looking a bit too blindly at what they want over the reality of what the situation is.

The minute they government supply backing and they all cancel we all pay for that. We are already all paying for covid for the next god knows years I'm taxes.

This looks good for helping the festivals not go out of business which is a positive

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

That's fair enough, but if the government know events can't happen with any certainty they should have been honest with festival organisers from the start.

It's Boris that's given people false hope that's caused event organisers to waste time & money planning shit that consumers have now bought tickets for.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

This looks good for helping the festivals not go out of business which is a positive

Well let's hope they stick to their word or that this is true.

5 hours ago, found home in 2009 said:

That's fair enough, but if the government know events can't happen with any certainty they should have been honest with festival organisers from the start.

It's Boris that's given people false hope that's caused event organisers to waste time & money planning shit that consumers have now bought tickets for.

I partly agree. But the organizers also know the government haven't handled the scale of this particularly well and they also know where their point is point too much money going out vs we can't do it anyway without an actual time frame.

What the government didn't do right from the start is promise larger outdoor events would be able to go ahead. They always said earliest date and they did that due to data changing so quickly etc etc. I'm not a fan of them either.

7 hours ago, found home in 2009 said:

There are loyal Tories on a football club forum I’m on and even they say how terrible the DCMS are, especially Useless Dowden. These are the kind of people who have backed Boris throughout so they really must be doing poorly.

I wouldn’t trust a word that department says.

15 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Well it's not down to me anyway what they do.

I mean apparently it's not about the cases and just about the deaths etc. But Hungary have 67k capacity crowd in their game tonight with a higher daily death and 7 day average but their case rates are very low.

Hungary have a 67k crowd because their Prime Minister is a football mad autocrat, it's not really anything to do with cases or death.

Sorry if this has been discussed previously but does anyone have any insight/thoughts on day parties? I've got tickets to a couple like APE and Gala in London and the thought of being able to do them has been powering me through (maybe that was naive). This latest announcement has been more of a blow than expected. 

If they do go ahead I suppose it'll be with proof of a negative test etc

12 minutes ago, Sundance said:

Sorry if this has been discussed previously but does anyone have any insight/thoughts on day parties? I've got tickets to a couple like APE and Gala in London and the thought of being able to do them has been powering me through (maybe that was naive). This latest announcement has been more of a blow than expected. 

If they do go ahead I suppose it'll be with proof of a negative test etc

GALA might be cutting it a bit fine but All Points East is at the back end of August so I'm guessing it'll be OK by then. There's also a lot less infrastructure and planning needed for day events like this compared to three or four day festivals across large sites.

4 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

GALA might be cutting it a bit fine but All Points East is at the back end of August so I'm guessing it'll be OK by then. There's also a lot less infrastructure and planning needed for day events like this compared to three or four day festivals across large sites.

Yeah that's a good shout about the infrastructure factor... plus APE are a corporate fucking machine so probably have loads of cash to stay afloat if they did need to rearrange. 

Yeah, Gala is the one I'm most worried about tbh. It was the one I was most looking forward too as well, it's right on my door step! Perhaps if it came to it they could push it back 

1 minute ago, Sundance said:

Yeah that's a good shout about the infrastructure factor... plus APE are a corporate fucking machine so probably have loads of cash to stay afloat if they did need to rearrange. 

Yeah, Gala is the one I'm most worried about tbh. It was the one I was most looking forward too as well, it's right on my door step! Perhaps if it came to it they could push it back 

Yeah, I mean APE is still technically a multi-day event with similar infrastructure to 'festival' festivals, but the amount of money behind it, the fact it's in London, and the fact it's only a couple of stages will definitely help it get it over the line. GALA looks decent but yeah, even two weeks after this new deadline feels a bit dodgy to me. Fingers crossed.

11 hours ago, thewayiam said:

But if the government truly are confident about the unlocking date and festivals being able to go ahead after that, they would actually profit from such a scheme and help balance some of that COVID debt.

36 minutes ago, Fish Bulb said:

That's not how taxes work

It was kinda a bit tongue in cheek but who do you think is going to cover the longterm debt.

I'll remind you though when tax and insurance is 35% instead of 33

31 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

But if the government truly are confident about the unlocking date and festivals being able to go ahead after that, they would actually profit from such a scheme and help balance some of that COVID debt.

How do they know? 3k went to 5k to 8k cases quickly.

10 minutes ago, stephos83 said:

Looks like Wilderness is still going ahead...

Screenshot_20210616-111030__01.jpg

Cynical part of me thinks they would go under without a festival whatever...that's the only reason anyone would be so certain now about being allowed an event in August without social distancing- if they had no choice. That or the owners trust Boris fully...

Edited by efcfanwirral

3 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Cynical part of me thinks they would go under without a festival whatever...that's the only reason anyone would be so certain now about being allowed an event in August without social distancing- if they had no choice. That or the owners trust Boris fully...

Well, its run by Mama, which is LiveNation, so there are deep pockets and obviously they have Melvin on the "inside" so to speak...time will tell!

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

The owners are Live Nation, and so they've got a connection to the ERP/DCMS and in theory should know more than is in the public domain.

Given their backing, don't think there's any risk of LN going under even if they have to pull it at the last minute - though it could get sticky if they need to pull all of them.

33 minutes ago, stephos83 said:

Well, its run by Mama, which is LiveNation, so there are deep pockets and obviously they have Melvin on the "inside" so to speak...time will tell!

32 minutes ago, incident said:

The owners are Live Nation, and so they've got a connection to the ERP/DCMS and in theory should know more than is in the public domain.

Given their backing, don't think there's any risk of LN going under even if they have to pull it at the last minute - though it could get sticky if they need to pull all of them.

Ah the opposite then! Still got a feeling FR will benefit hugely by buying up failing festivals while theirs go ahead