Music Festivals given go ahead from late May...

Chrisp1986

5 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

Looks like am going straight from Cornwall to Donington then to Black Deer... delighted with that and am now confident it will happen 😀

Why the sudden change of heart Paul? Thought you were under the impression anything before mid August was too early? You seem to be in the know, so any positivity from you is a good sign! 

2 minutes ago, TheFullShaboo said:

Why the sudden change of heart Paul? Thought you were under the impression anything before mid August was too early? You seem to be in the know, so any positivity from you is a good sign! 

My calendar is now beginning to fill up, event companies are taking on staff and with the Download trial now happening, definitely think things are looking better.

Worst case is we will be up running by end of July, I'll take that tbh.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

My calendar is now beginning to fill up, event companies are taking on staff and with the Download trial now happening, definitely think things are looking better.

Worst case is we will be up running by end of July, I'll take that tbh.

Fantastic news! 

Looks like i need to make a decision quick about which ones in July and August i'm going to take a punt on! Already lost a fair bit on booking fees this summer so been waiting for some positive news 🙂 

2 hours ago, Paul ™ said:

Looks like am going straight from Cornwall to Donington then to Black Deer... delighted with that and am now confident it will happen 😀

You working Donnington? Hopefully me too. For Oxfam. Got the email to apply so hopefully manage to secure a spot on Wednesday. Bit of a weird one. No idea how many Oxfam are taking or what the demand will be like

48 minutes ago, incident said:

If anyone wants a long read, they've published the full version of the report (I think this is new, unless I've missed it being posted previously).

Thanks for posting that- it's a great, balanced report that really shows the benefits of events to the wider infrastructure and economy. Shows us that there are good, reasonable people in the background in government, which I can sometimes forget to be honest with the public circus we see in the headlines.

If anything is going to convince them to sort it out, its this report. If they don't despite the clear wider economic benefits and the real dangers to the future of the industry, we might have to conclude the decision making is ideological in nature 

Edited by efcfanwirral

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

Thanks for posting that- it's a great, balanced report that really shows the benefits of events to the wider infrastructure and economy. Shows us that there are good, reasonable people in the background in government, which I can sometimes forget to be honest with the public circus we see in the headlines.

If anything is going to convince them to sort it out, its this report. If they don't despite the clear wider economic benefits and the real dangers to the future of the industry, we might have to conclude the decision making is ideological in nature 

Yeah, I reckon they've done a pretty good job on that - they've gone a lot wider than the immediate impact of COVID than I thought they would, and I think a large majority of festival attendees and organisers would broadly be on board with the conclusions and recommendations that they've drawn. In particular, I think it's good that we finally have an official body of sorts calling for organisations like The Loop to be allowed to operate legally.

Don't think it'll make any significant difference in terms of Government policy though - while the report does lay things out pretty clearly, the Government has a long history of ignoring reports that don't say what they wanted them to.

45 minutes ago, zahidf said:

20210603_092539.jpg

We strongly considered this a few months back, but decided against it due to loads of people telling us it was beyond bougie and somewhat of a "Tory fest"...really regret it now. Jamie and Bicep would be banging and once you're there you just party don't you!

2 hours ago, Zacko said:

We strongly considered this a few months back, but decided against it due to loads of people telling us it was beyond bougie and somewhat of a "Tory fest"...really regret it now. Jamie and Bicep would be banging and once you're there you just party don't you!

I guess so...so long as you've got a good and big enough gang with you, you're OK, but crowd is important.

I really like Latitude and have done...four?...over the years, including blooding Child 1 and Child 3 separately at their first festivals. But, the crowd there is very post-A levels and that's all good, but there's only so much whoomp, there it is I can take in the middle of a banging Simian Mobile Disco techno set at 2am.

Wilderness always came across to me as the sort of place where I would find the crowd drove me a bit nuts, something that Glastonbury and others (Boomtown, Green Man etc.) wouldn't.

Saying that. we're all so starved of just getting off tits at the moment that I'd likely not notice!

Ben

42 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

I really like Latitude and have done...four?...over the years, including blooding Child 1 and Child 3 separately at their first festivals. But, the crowd there is very post-A levels and that's all good, but there's only so much whoomp, there it is I can take in the middle of a banging Simian Mobile Disco techno set at 2am.

Wilderness always came across to me as the sort of place where I would find the crowd drove me a bit nuts, something that Glastonbury and others (Boomtown, Green Man etc.) wouldn't.

To be honest, if you can handle the Latitude crowd then you can almost certainly handle the Wilderness crowd. Wilderness is posher and that's often visible especially with some of the more extravagant (and for my taste, cringeworthy) things on offer, but I tend to find those are fairly easy to ignore as the crowd is generally quite relaxed and friendly, whereas I thought that the Latitude crowd was that they're by far the more entitled and selfish of the two.

Having said that, I'm doing both again this year having sworn never to go back to Latitude after not much liking it last time so may have reversed both positions in a few months.

Has anyone heard anything more about Houghton? 
We’ve had no updates or posts for a while, and whilst it is probably them trying to hold out for the 21st June announcement, it’s pretty concerning. 
Don’t know that they could handle a 3rd consecutive year cancellation. 

It seems like a great little set up and would be such a shame to lose it in its relative infancy.

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

I guess so...so long as you've got a good and big enough gang with you, you're OK, but crowd is important.

Saying that. we're all so starved of just getting off tits at the moment that I'd likely not notice!

Ben

The other problem with latitude is they dont change the kids area up enough, we did three on the trot between 2015-2017 with the kids, who are now 12 and 14, and that area felt like groundhog day. Plus by the third year they were at a weird age where they seemed too young for a lot of the stuff in the inbetweeners area but too old for a lot of the stuff in the kids area. 

36 minutes ago, Mellotr0n said:

Anyone have any further noises on how likely/unlikely Victorious is? Not fussed about the line up at all except looking like I might be side stage for CHIC/RB which would be phenomenal.

Praying it’s on as I have tickets.  Taking my little family for their first ever festival experience too

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

Ben

Yeah this is exactly it! In the end we went for Love International, which was always a risk and then that was inevitably cancelled. Our own fault really. 

Still got Love Saves the Day in for September, which I'm a bit more confident of. However I have heard it might only have two stages this year, which would be a shame. 

IDLES are playing the same location the night before so I'm assuming they'll just keep the stage for that up and it'll all be a bit soulless in comparison to other years. But like you said, any boogie will do! 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Ben

I've always described Latitude as Waitrose on a a day trip, then lo & behold a Waitrose popped up onsite 😅

The whoomp there it is crowd unfortunately pop up all over, I was watching a stream of the Circus gig in Liverpool & they started in with the whoomping 😭 it makes me long for the 90s when you only had the occasional ooooooeeee from a crowd so spangled that was the only way to express how much you were enjoying yourself, an involuntary animalistic noise!

That said I'm a massive advocate for Latitude, it's so relaxed & there's always little gems to be found - and if all else fails Shack can be found, in the forest pumping out actual vinyl 😍

www.instagram.com/p/B0vyqxCHBoA/?utm_medium=copy_link

On 5/29/2021 at 12:36 PM, incident said:

If anyone wants a long read, they've published the full version of the report (I think this is new, unless I've missed it being posted previously).

Thank you so much for posting this! I wish I had the time to read it in full this morning! 

20 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Ben

I’ve enjoyed SMD a few times and my a levels were 20 + years ago.  After giving it a seconds thought, sign me up for whoomping - I will take it! 

19 hours ago, gherring8 said:

Has anyone heard anything more about Houghton? 
We’ve had no updates or posts for a while, and whilst it is probably them trying to hold out for the 21st June announcement, it’s pretty concerning. 
Don’t know that they could handle a 3rd consecutive year cancellation. 

It seems like a great little set up and would be such a shame to lose it in its relative infancy.

Nothing at all since the initial social media posts. I’ve wanted to get to this festival for years - I’ve had a ticket for the last 3 years rolled over 😂 

You’ve got to feel for them... at some point I’d concede that the gods were against this festival and just shelve it! I’ll keep rolling over that ticket until it actually happens or they give up the dream! 

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, DirtyLurker said:

I've always described Latitude as Waitrose on a a day trip, then lo & behold a Waitrose popped up onsite 😅

The whoomp there it is crowd unfortunately pop up all over, I was watching a stream of the Circus gig in Liverpool & they started in with the whoomping 😭 it makes me long for the 90s when you only had the occasional ooooooeeee from a crowd so spangled that was the only way to express how much you were enjoying yourself, an involuntary animalistic noise!

That said I'm a massive advocate for Latitude, it's so relaxed & there's always little gems to be found - and if all else fails Shack can be found, in the forest pumping out actual vinyl 😍

www.instagram.com/p/B0vyqxCHBoA/?utm_medium=copy_link

I have to say I've always found it to have the upmarket feel that is never really my thing. Back in the days when say Bloc Party were around you would get a lineup with sine acts I didn't mind. They did well to grab Liam when they did. 

I can see it being all about the cocktails and prosecco in hand. Plus it's way too overpriced for a medium sized festival.