Music Festivals given go ahead from late May...

Chrisp1986

38 minutes ago, stuie said:

Womad, Latitude, Noisily still holding on. 

And Bigfoot, Black Deer, NASS, Standon Calling, Truck, Tramlines, Kendal Calling, Y Not, Camp Bestival, and Wilderness, all prior to mid-August. Probably a few others I'm not aware of as well.

So yeah, while it may well end up being the case eventually, so far at least the claim that almost everything up to mid-August has gone is typical bullshit. It's just the usual culprit being too eager to be the first person to pronounce something dead.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Bigfoot for me is the fascinating one, as it's before the 21st June, yet the breweries are all still talking like it's happening, and the festival itself are still pushing the tickets all over social media.  I love festivals, and I love craft beer, so I'm very tempted (as is my son), but intrigued as to the how it's going to work.  Though the details of their plans are here - https://bigfootfestival.co.uk/info/covid-safety-ticket-policy/

Edited by Greenelk

9 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

Some of these festivals must know they are unlikely to go ahead, so why are they pushing tickets?

Assumption is that this is to secure funding for next year when people roll over?

Quite possibly because some of them need to take that gamble in order to survive.  A second summer without going ahead is going to do real damage to finances, so could be as simple as a throw of the dice.

16 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

Some of these festivals must know they are unlikely to go ahead, so why are they pushing tickets?

Assumption is that this is to secure funding for next year when people roll over?

That's what I thought, no furlough from sept so use ticket money to get through winter. Obviously though means that if any do go bust people won't get all their money back.

2 hours ago, Quark said:

Beautiful Days still hanging in there as well, lineup announcement coming on Friday apparently.

2 hours ago, incident said:

And Bigfoot, Black Deer, NASS, Standon Calling, Truck, Tramlines, Kendal Calling, Y Not, Camp Bestival, and Wilderness, all prior to mid-August. Probably a few others I'm not aware of as well.

So yeah, while it may well end up being the case eventually, so far at least the claim that almost everything up to mid-August has gone is typical bullshit. It's just the usual culprit being too eager to be the first person to pronounce something dead.

You are an idiot. That'll be and is are two different things. 

Why are you getting annoyed at people when at the same point saying while it may end up being the case.

If those events go it doesn't the results of which ever way it was said any different.

2 hours ago, Greenelk said:

Bigfoot for me is the fascinating one, as it's before the 21st June, yet the breweries are all still talking like it's happening, and the festival itself are still pushing the tickets all over social media.  I love festivals, and I love craft beer, so I'm very tempted (as is my son), but intrigued as to the how it's going to work.  Though the details of their plans are here - https://bigfootfestival.co.uk/info/covid-safety-ticket-policy/

not sold out....it's a big con.

16 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Why are you getting annoyed at people when at the same point saying while it may end up being the case.

If those events go it doesn't the results of which ever way it was said any different.

It's really not difficult. Wait until events actually cancel before proclaiming them dead. Yes, some of those named likely will cancel - maybe even all of them. But until they do, then they're not cancelled and there's no internet kudos to be gained from being the blind squirrel who finds a nut.

This isn't the first time you've been called out on it either - didn't you claim WOMAD had cancelled several weeks back, literally a couple hours before they announced their intention to push ahead.

4 hours ago, thewayiam said:

I think that's almost everything upto middle of August now. I imagine pride is quite an important event to go ahead if it can but as it can't

37 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

To be fair, you did say ‘that’s’ e.g. that is

36 minutes ago, incident said:

It's really not difficult. Wait until events actually cancel before proclaiming them dead. Yes, some of those named likely will cancel - maybe even all of them. But until they do, then they're not cancelled and there's no internet kudos to be gained from being the blind squirrel who finds a nut.

This isn't the first time you've been called out on it either - didn't you claim WOMAD had cancelled several weeks back, literally a couple hours before they announced their intention to push ahead.

Yes and I held my hands up saying I'd looked at something incorrectly and changed the wording.

As I said. That'll be is different to is. 

2 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

That's what I thought, no furlough from sept so use ticket money to get through winter. Obviously though means that if any do go bust people won't get all their money back.

Most ticket companies hold ticket sale monies in similar funds as escrow and promoters don't get access to the funds till after the event, for that very reason.
Some will get cash advances of ticket sales, but they are few and far between.

2 hours ago, Quark said:

Quite possibly because some of them need to take that gamble in order to survive.  A second summer without going ahead is going to do real damage to finances, so could be as simple as a throw of the dice.

Yes this, and a some need to sell tickets as they have already spent the hypothetical money on costs already incurred.. therefore needing to sell to be able to refund those who don't roll over.

1 hour ago, stuie said:

To be fair, you did say ‘that’s’ e.g. that is

He's an idiot. The fact he even mentions Reading cancelled on 10th May last year has no relevance at all to this years festival or how they are proceeding this year, along with the current state of play.

11 hours ago, Kim Wrong-Un said:

Co-op are pushing on recruiting (Co-op) staff for their festival stores at Latitude, Kendal Calling, Leeds, Reading, Isle of Wight and Creamfields.

https://colleaguestories.coop.co.uk/2021/05/05/music-to-our-ears-were-back-at-6-festivals-this-year-and-youre-invited/ 

coop-mash-up-1000x523-girl.jpg

This one's particularly interesting, and has just sparked a thought about how much they're pushing ahead.

As the regularly cited reason for cancelling has been the lack of govt support or insurance the fests that are pushing ahead could be doing it to show how much demand there is for them, and use that demand to push the govt to provide that support.

An if you build it, they will come approach maybe?  Make the demand harder to ignore, all the jobs that go with it and that.

Just a thought.

14 hours ago, steviewevie said:

I'm not so sure. They set the festival up on the understanding that it would be run under social distancing rules and so aren't really impacted by the June 21st changes. Legally there is nothing to stop them from holding it tomorrow (as long as the local authority will grant a licence). I'm guessing that the amount of corporate backing that they have and the lack of dependancy on further easing means that they thing that they can wing it without insurance. We shall see... 

14 hours ago, steviewevie said:

I think it's a massive leap from not being sold out to calling it a big con.  Who are they conning for a start?  The breweries are all independent from the festival and they believe it's happening, and some have brewed beer specifically for it.  There must be a reason they think they can go ahead from speaking to the authorities as they've indicated on the COVID info page.  It may be misguided, only time will tell, but without insurance it would be a very dangerous con for them!   The founders are established craft beer festival promoters, so they would lose the trust of all the breweries and damage their other business for a start.

1 hour ago, Quark said:

This one's particularly interesting, and has just sparked a thought about how much they're pushing ahead.

As the regularly cited reason for cancelling has been the lack of govt support or insurance the fests that are pushing ahead could be doing it to show how much demand there is for them, and use that demand to push the govt to provide that support.

An if you build it, they will come approach maybe?  Make the demand harder to ignore, all the jobs that go with it and that.

Just a thought.

I saw a picture someone had put up from the screen sefton park that said "make sure festivals happen this summer - send in your PCR test" - it must be a case of if the event results are good then they'll look more seriously at insuring the events. With co-op having a direct line to FR via Reading and Leeds they must be confident based on what they've heard   

19 hours ago, MrBarry465 said:

Maybe they will only get insurance payouts if they show they have taken every step possible to put the event on?

36 minutes ago, Fish Bulb said:

I'm desperate to know what the con is...

well...I was kidding...kind of...But a socially distanced festival in just over a month when many other festivals are being cancelled and there are a whole load of people desperate to go to a festival...and it isn't sold out yet?