Music Festivals given go ahead from late May...

Chrisp1986

20 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

What's left for July now? 

Not much, Kendal Calling at the end of the month will probably be the next big one to go.

The lack of insurance is critical now, even being discussed in the Lord's with no movement from either.

Link

I've now reassessed my calendar for the early season and have focused on sporting/agricultural events that have more probability of going ahead with either reduced crowds or behind closed doors.

Still saying by August we should be in a better position for mass gatherings, if there are any left 

Just now, Paul ™ said:

Not much, Kendal Calling at the end of the month will probably be the next big one to go.

The lack of insurance is critical now, even being discussed in the Lord's with no movement from either.

Link

I've now reassessed my calendar for the early season and have focused on sporting/agricultural events that have more probability of going ahead with either reduced crowds or behind closed doors.

Still saying by August we should be in a better position for mass gatherings, if there are any left 

Womad and Latitude are still going ahead in July as well aren't they?

7 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Womad and Latitude are still going ahead in July as well aren't they?

Noisily are still holding on. They say they’ve negotiated looser contracts with artists and DJ’s and as a small festival, largely built by a community, they are taking it to the wire.  

7 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I've got tickets for Truck Festival in Oxfordshire (22nd-25th July) still going ahead (at the moment!)

3 minutes ago, stuie said:

Noisily are still holding on. They say they’ve negotiated looser contracts with artists and DJ’s and as a small festival, largely built by a community, they are taking it to the wire.  

Oh yeah! So still a few out there. Fingers crossed for you all.

Everything I was thinking of booking got sold out before I could make a decision (and some of them have gone now), so it's just New Order at Heaton Park in September for me that I'm hanging on to. Still have one eye on Green Man but they are taking their time to announce.

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

They still pretending that's happening?!

They are the only ones though who've acknowledged that the festival will be going ahead under a number of restrictions, with a full section on their website with how they're going to overcome everything from the rule of 30 to social distancing. 

Every other festival has explicitly stated that unless socially distancing was dropped they wouldn't be going ahead - BigFoot hasn't

Im fully aware that this may be some marketing ploy to completely sell out before cancelling, but still, the fact that they've addressed the issues they will face under the roadmap have provided me with some hope, however false it may be. 

Has anyone else held back from buying any more festival tickets because of the current uncertainty? As much as I'd like to support these organisations through this difficult time, if 2020 is anything to go by, I had thousands of pounds tied up in festival and gig refunds, which certainly took a lot longer for them to refund than it did for me to pay for. I appreciate that this may be more down to the ticketing agent than the festival itself but it has definitely put me off making the leap.

The way I see it now is, if there's definite clarity on festivals going ahead after June 21 and there are tickets available, I'll go for it. If everything's sold out by then, that's on me.

22 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Oh yeah! So still a few out there. Fingers crossed for you all.

Everything I was thinking of booking got sold out before I could make a decision (and some of them have gone now), so it's just New Order at Heaton Park in September for me that I'm hanging on to. Still have one eye on Green Man but they are taking their time to announce.

Strangly everything I have booked for this year is still on (bar Glastonbury).   

Truck, Beautiful Days and the Sunday of Reading Festival.....not expecting that to stay like that for long though!

I've been one of the most optimistic people for late Summer festivals but given the government is clearly not going to put in place insurance (they probably think the grants they've given is enough...), I now think there won't be any large (capacity >10,000) festivals now in 2021. Gutted.

31 minutes ago, stuie said:

And fucking about with contractors too. 

No deposit for infrastructure, contractors etc helps no one but themselves.

1 minute ago, Paul ™ said:

And fucking about with contractors too. 

No deposit for infrastructure, contractors etc helps no one but themselves.

The other choice doesn’t help contractors either does it? 

15 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Has anyone else held back from buying any more festival tickets because of the current uncertainty? As much as I'd like to support these organisations through this difficult time, if 2020 is anything to go by, I had thousands of pounds tied up in festival and gig refunds, which certainly took a lot longer for them to refund than it did for me to pay for. I appreciate that this may be more down to the ticketing agent than the festival itself but it has definitely put me off making the leap.

The way I see it now is, if there's definite clarity on festivals going ahead after June 21 and there are tickets available, I'll go for it. If everything's sold out by then, that's on me.

This is the dilemma. After BeatHerder cancelling this morning my immediate reaction was to look for another alternative. But then whats the point when that cancels, as all that'll happen is ill lose another booking fee on the refund. 

Conversely, if i don't commit, and they do go ahead, there's a very limited chance there'll be any tickets left when its become plainly obvious that its able to go ahead. 

I think day festivals / events are going to be the best compromise. Moovin and Waterworks festival are the two ive gone for. 

10 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

I know it's not quite the same as there's no camping, but have any of you considered autumn/winter festivals later in the year? Iceland Airwaves is making an announcement today, that's one I'd perhaps recommend

In some ways, winter festivals are even less likely to happen as:

- more likely to be indoors 

- more likely for cases to be going up

This Summer was the real window of possibility with magic combination of testing + gov guarantees. What a disaster...

• Upvote 1