Music Festivals given go ahead from late May...

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

🙂 crossing fingers very firmly .... does that lineup announcement make it any more likely though ? .... or is it announce it and then cancel like all the others ... 

well it’s a positive they are going to announce the line up rather than just a cancellation so I can only assume at this they are planning to go ahead 

whether it happens is just a case of crossing fingers I think! 

9 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Its a government backed test event, and makes sense if they want to do negative tests as an option this summer before everyone has had a vaccine

I'm almost 100% sure the vaccine passports will be in place for indoor gigs later in the year and beyond though. 

Very jealous of those going to this gig I have to say! 

Trust me, they want to not have to deal with them at all. We’re going backwards now. Just set a standard and make everyone require the shot. You can get all these people back next year who will demand refunds. There needs to be an incentive to getting the vaccine, this is it. 

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

Theres nothing wrong with being a music snob it's better than being proud about liking shit music 

Not really. Whatever music someone likes is subjective to their own personal opinion. What a load of shit to just belief your music taste is superior to someone else and be that narrow minded.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

Trust me, they want to not have to deal with them at all. We’re going backwards now. Just set a standard and make everyone require the shot. You can get all these people back next year who will demand refunds. There needs to be an incentive to getting the vaccine, this is it. 

But with the events happening way before younger people have their second, and way after the vulnerable have had theirs, it feels unfair on the industry to not allow them to have a decent proportion of their audience in their events just on a principle when they probably can happen safely by that time, probably with only a short limit on when any events can happen over summer  time as there's no guarantees of gatherings being allowed when we get back to things needing to be inside in autumn and winter (I'd venture there's not much chance of any indoor gigs this year and that's probably right)

Gove is over in Israel scouting it out, - I almost guarantee you'll see them this year but it'll only go to vaccine only when its fair to do so. 

Edited by efcfanwirral

Spamming the thread here but- 40 Tory MPs have written to the PM to ask him to underwrite events insurance. 

I know people don't like to give this paper clicks but this contains the letter and its good to see it going mainstream as an issue even if it (possibly rightly) gets rejected https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9494799/amp/Save-festivals-Boris-40-Tory-MPs-want-PM-underwrite-250m-insurance-scheme.html. the comments make it clear their supporters think this is a waste of money and that festivals are a waste of time and full of unwashed lefties. Yes I doubt they'll be doing the underwriting....

Edited by efcfanwirral

4 hours ago, thewayiam said:

I think the term a 'luxury' in this when it comes to insurance sums this all up.

To the government, to plough millions into insuring these events is a luxury unfortunately. Things like buying food, having healthcare facilities open in the non essential is necessity. This like gyms etc aren't buy they also don't require insurance. If they don't open, they don't use electricity, furlough scheme is extended until September if needed etc. Getting back to normal enough daily life is costing the government a lot already and to be fair there is only one person that is paying in the long run if the government granted the cover and it was needed, and that's the tax payer. People are already out of pocket by a lot this last 18 months.

This ignores that an insurance style scheme has been made available for other "non essential" industries like film production but not live events

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

Spamming the thread here but- 40 Tory MPs have written to the PM to ask him to underwrite events insurance. 

I know people don't like to give this paper clicks but this contains the letter and its good to see it going mainstream as an issue even if it (possibly rightly) gets rejected https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9494799/amp/Save-festivals-Boris-40-Tory-MPs-want-PM-underwrite-250m-insurance-scheme.html. the comments make it clear their supporters think this is a waste of money and that festivals are a waste of time and full of unwashed lefties. Yes I doubt they'll be doing the underwriting....

BoomTown cancelled I'm not interested now. 😜

18 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

BoomTown cancelled I'm not interested now. 😜

Haha to be fair most of the good ones are gone it seems. I'm simultaneously wanting to see it happen (purely selfishly) and horrified at the idea of taxpayers money being used for something like this

Edited by efcfanwirral

42 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Haha to be fair most of the good ones are gone it seems. I'm simultaneously wanting to see it happen (purely selfishly) and horrified at the idea of taxpayers money being used for something like this

It'd only be tax payers money used if the events didn't go ahead right? And by having insurance for the organisations, that stops them going bankrupt so surely it'd save money by reducing people going on to job seekers etc etc etc.

Anyway all academic. No boomtown. 

Although I am supposed to be volunteering with Oxfam at wilderness so I guess I have half a vested interest. It's just much less exciting right now!

4 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Radio4and. The telegraph. Reporting boomtown cancellation I wouldn't have thought those places are where boomtowns punters hang out😁

8 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

You do realise the event organisers pay the insurance premium and not the tax payer?

Only if they got cancelled would that happen, and if the UK government are as confident on their roadmap and lifting of restrictions, then shouldn't be an issue.

10 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

It'd only be tax payers money used if the events didn't go ahead right? And by having insurance for the organisations, that stops them going bankrupt so surely it'd save money by reducing people going on to job seekers etc etc etc.

I think that's the issue. This should be a money-making scheme for the government if they have any confidence in these events actually being able to happen. As they could pocket the premium and not have to pay out if they happen.

Problem is I don't think a Tory government can countenance actually doing the insuring themselves. Rather they'd be looking at a scheme where they find one of their mates who runs an insurance company and offering them a few million in backing to do the insurance - or to underwrite the risk and not see any of the profit. If you try and do it that way it *is* a waste of cash.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I think that's the issue. This should be a money-making scheme for the government if they have any confidence in these events actually being able to happen. As they could pocket the premium and not have to pay out if they happen.

Problem is I don't think a Tory government can countenance actually doing the insuring themselves. Rather they'd be looking at a scheme where they find one of their mates who runs an insurance company and offering them a few million in backing to do the insurance - or to underwrite the risk and not see any of the profit. If you try and do it that way it *is* a waste of cash.

It probably won't even be a mate who runs an insurance company, it'll be a mate who runs a pub or something.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DeanoL said:

You are right... if Matt Cockhands / Boris had a family member that runs an event insurance company this would already be a done deal! 

4 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Rather they'd be looking at a scheme where they find one of their mates who runs an insurance company and offering them a few million in backing to do the insurance - or to underwrite the risk and not see any of the profit. 

I'll have a tenner on Arron Banks.

28 minutes ago, Greenelk said:

My kid is going to Leeds, so I'd rather it was cancelled so I don't have to worry all weekend what the fuck she is doing.....

At same time, what do you think chances of indoor concerts happening from September onwards, as I have tickets for Manchester psych festival and I'm really hoping it is able to go ahead?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

My kid is going to Leeds, so I'd rather it was cancelled so I don't have to worry all weekend what the fuck she is doing.....

At same time, what do you think chances of indoor concerts happening from September onwards, as I have tickets for Manchester psych festival and I'm really hoping it is able to go ahead?

I guess we will have to wait and see the outcome of the trial events? Frustrating to wait but the best way forward.