Music Festivals given go ahead from late May...

Chrisp1986

13 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

new questions on why these cant go ahead will need to be asked if we reach 21 june and the roadmap hasnt changed

Mass gatherings fall under the scope of the ERP and that's ongoing till mid summer at least. 

Edited by Paul ™

22 minutes ago, FakeEmpire said:

Sorry yes, I should be more specific - I think that part of the insurance may still be an issue next year. Even if the UK is 'back to normal', insurers are focused on their shareholders & we're expecting the virus to still be a global problem.

The insurance chance and payout would surely be much less due to the chance of a mass spread be very, very low? If we're still worrying that a gathering of 50,000 people could cause a spread in 15 months then we're never going back to normal. 

1 hour ago, chazwwe said:

This doesn't give me much hope for festivals around late July - August. I have 2000 Trees as my only camping festival this year (got One for the Road in October) and that's 3 weeks before Boomtown. I wonder if because they're a much smaller festival (10,000) that they'll risk it? I can't see how festivals smaller than them are gonna get by another year without help again. 

Trees is my worry as I really fancied an evening ticket for the Thursday. Again though like Catfish, I've not purchased a ticket. I already have two August festival dates in the balance plus a British Airways flight voucher from an Italy cancellation so I'm wary.

2 hours ago, FakeEmpire said:

My concern is that we may be in this same position next year. I cannot see insurance companies being in a rush to offer cancellation insurance for these events until the risk of restrictions is a distant memory.

Yeah but the odds of cancellation are really low at that point. There are plenty of risks you take when you run a festival, some you just can't insure against. But to an extent that's what running a business is - taking a risk and hoping you profit from it. Numerous things can happen to a festival just prior (or even during) the event which force it to cancel (see Y-Not 2017) - often those are existential threats and if they happen, the festival and the company is just done.

But they're so unlikely you go ahead anyway.

2 hours ago, FakeEmpire said:

My concern is that we may be in this same position next year. I cannot see insurance companies being in a rush to offer cancellation insurance for these events until the risk of restrictions is a distant memory.

They will offer insurance again, it's a market and people need it. Someone will step into that space. 

The problem next year is that it's going to be crazy expensive for all but the largest events to have it.

20 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

They will offer insurance again, it's a market and people need it. Someone will step into that space. 

The problem next year is that it's going to be crazy expensive for all but the largest events to have it.

Just like football and the wider world with the billionaires getting richer, the pandemic will force the power and money to the select few at the top 

1 hour ago, Homer said:

Sorry, not clear - responding to someone saying on the last page that larger events with corporate backing are more likely to go ahead: Creamfields, Reading/Leeds, APE.

My mate who has been working in the industry for a long time, seems to think the opposite. The bigger the event, the less likely it is to go ahead this year. 

1 hour ago, dotdash79 said:

Tramlines are doing a line up announcement on Monday which goes against the grain at the moment 

I think it’s backed my some venture capital company so maybe they’ve got the funding they need. Probably the rest of the small festivals just need some rich backers and all will be good! 

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

Sure seems that nobody wants to do vaccine passports at all in fear over losing customers. Gimme a break

https://www.nme.com/news/music/festival-boss-on-historic-liverpool-pilot-gig-punters-will-be-able-to-behave-like-covid-never-happened-2924091

Its a government backed test event, and makes sense if they want to do negative tests as an option this summer before everyone has had a vaccine

I'm almost 100% sure the vaccine passports will be in place for indoor gigs later in the year and beyond though. 

Very jealous of those going to this gig I have to say! 

Edited by efcfanwirral

2 hours ago, Homer said:

I think the term a 'luxury' in this when it comes to insurance sums this all up.

To the government, to plough millions into insuring these events is a luxury unfortunately. Things like buying food, having healthcare facilities open in the non essential is necessity. This like gyms etc aren't buy they also don't require insurance. If they don't open, they don't use electricity, furlough scheme is extended until September if needed etc. Getting back to normal enough daily life is costing the government a lot already and to be fair there is only one person that is paying in the long run if the government granted the cover and it was needed, and that's the tax payer. People are already out of pocket by a lot this last 18 months.