Music Festivals given go ahead from late May...

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, Paul ™ said:

They don't own infrastructure or security, just the ticketing platform.

Build starts around 25th July and is 5 weeks and break is around 2 weeks.

But yes they are a corporate machine, and would suck up losses if needed.

Boomtown statement below

https://www.boomtownfair.co.uk/info/covid-19/

They do own ShowSec, or at least did last I checked, and they tend to be the primary security provider at LN events.

No idea how on earth they stretch their build out to 5 weeks - that's astonishingly long given how sparse the events are.

1 minute ago, incident said:

They do own ShowSec, or at least did last I checked, and they tend to be the primary security provider at LN events.

No idea how on earth they stretch their build out to 5 weeks - that's astonishingly long given how sparse the events are.

Showsec don't do Reading (or Leeds)

Having worked there for the whole 7 week period serval times, it does take that long.

56 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

Steelhouse festival in Wales is only two weeks after this Newport gig,so I suppose this only being a third of capacity isn’t a good sign for that.

I'm guessing that depends by then what the restrictions are based on 5k events.

38 minutes ago, Old_Johno said:

Although Reading and Leeds are pretty big the setups pretty easy, it’s basically a gig in a field, doesn’t have the themeing and intricate stuff that you’d get an Boomtown or Glastonbury.

I used to live in Reading and setups probably 6 weeks 

Hence why I say that what the government allow in terms of fans for that semi final euros and the final are key. Reading at 90k when 6 weeks before only 30k were allowed allowed in Wembley for example with no guarantee of that extending will be the plug.

30 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Sad news 😞 Only a couple of months ago there was so much positivity about festival season and I was feeling pretty left out that I hadn't booked anything. I'd much prefer to see them go ahead, though, and I still had a vague bit of hope I might get to one. Really hope some of them manage it.

I think people read way too much in to it and over hyped themselves off off of the government's *earliest* dates. I don't mean to be negative but I see so many people setting themselves up for disappointment and I'd rather just save that after everything 

1 hour ago, Old_Johno said:

Although Reading and Leeds are pretty big the setups pretty easy, it’s basically a gig in a field, doesn’t have the themeing and intricate stuff that you’d get an Boomtown or Glastonbury.

I used to live in Reading and setups probably 6 weeks 

And with the “two main stages” this year (I think there will be no smaller tents) wouldn’t that be logistically easier and quicker to set up?

I wonder how organisers of festivals like Truck and 2000 Trees are feeling? Such a tough time for so many.

10 minutes ago, DirtyLurker said:

Yeah, not feeling quite so confident about dancing in fields this summer now 🙁😔

same, I didnt have a boomtown ticket (and i regret it massively!! will be trying to get one for 2022) but i feel proper deflated this morning after the announcement 😞 

4 minutes ago, Wellyboot said:

same, I didnt have a boomtown ticket (and i regret it massively!! will be trying to get one for 2022) but i feel proper deflated this morning after the announcement 😞 

With every festival that postponed/cancel it's like a body blow 😕 

I've got a horse in the Festival Republic race (Latitude) & a little independent (Aug bank hols weekend) but today I feel like neither will go ahead.

Very despondent tbh 😣

I think this was always inevitable that full weekend events would struggle - day gigs will happen though. APE etc, plus once it becomes clear events can happen I think there'll be announcements of field type shows that can be put up quickly. That confirmation was just always going to be too early for the more complex events 

That Feeder gig can't be read into- they're doing what they can to make an event happen and it is a very sensible move, if they're allowed more then they'll sell more tickets nearer the time to a music starved audience. This is what we need now, innovation

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

I think this was always inevitable that full weekend events would struggle - day gigs will happen though. APE etc, plus once it becomes clear events can happen I think there'll be announcements of field type shows that can be put up quickly. That confirmation was just always going to be too early for the more complex events 

That Feeder gig can't be read into- they're doing what they can to make an event happen and it is a very sensible move, if they're allowed more then they'll sell more tickets nearer the time to a music starved audience. This is what we need now, innovation

Agreed. Go with the lowest you can and opt to sell more if and when a closer time.

39 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

If Boomtown is down, surely no chance Houghton makes it. 

I hope it does.

They may just thrown in the towel this year otherwise. How many times can you cancel an annual event before you think fuck it? 

2 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Agreed. Go with the lowest you can and opt to sell more if and when a closer time.

If that gig was remotely accessible I'd have tickets for it. I hope to see similar for mid July onwards around the country popping up soon, then get further down the line and IF its possible same for August. 

I don't think we'll be camping in fields but there'll be plenty of live music at similar sizes to what they're trying in Liverpool. And that's much better than we would've dared hope for before Feb 22nd

13 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

If that gig was remotely accessible I'd have tickets for it. I hope to see similar for mid July onwards around the country popping up soon, then get further down the line and IF its possible same for August. 

I don't think we'll be camping in fields but there'll be plenty of live music at similar sizes to what they're trying in Liverpool. And that's much better than we would've dared hope for before Feb 22nd

There are already plans for lots of one day/pop up events from July onwards on the same basis as Virgin Unity last year. And will be opened up if restrictions allow. 

22 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Yes. My Feeder gig will be part of Catfish in September but I've not purchased yet

7 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Yes. My Feeder gig will be part of Catfish in September but I've not purchased yet

Always liked Feeder and my girlfriend is a big catfish fan so I'd be there if it wasn't so awkward to get to and stay over for us! Will be a good day that 

Oh and neighbourhood is supposed to be the same weekend. Hoping that one sticks with it being a day event and only a few miles away 

Edited by efcfanwirral

5 minutes ago, FakeEmpire said:

My concern is that we may be in this same position next year. I cannot see insurance companies being in a rush to offer cancellation insurance for these events until the risk of restrictions is a distant memory.

In that case they would never insure again.

The issue isn't cancellation insurance, it's a specific part of that which relates to communicable diseases.

Events can get cancellation insurance now, it's that part of it that they can't and that's the issue. 

1 minute ago, Paul ™ said:

In that case they would never insure again.

The issue isn't cancellation insurance, it's a specific part of that which relates to communicable diseases.

Events can get cancellation insurance now, it's that part of it that they can't and that's the issue. 

Sorry yes, I should be more specific - I think that part of the insurance may still be an issue next year. Even if the UK is 'back to normal', insurers are focused on their shareholders & we're expecting the virus to still be a global problem.

1 minute ago, FakeEmpire said:

Sorry yes, I should be more specific - I think that part of the insurance may still be an issue next year. Even if the UK is 'back to normal', insurers are focused on their shareholders & we're expecting the virus to still be a global problem.

True, but most events wouldn't normally take out that policy. Most didn't in 2020 for sure!

I don't think it will still be a global problem in 2022, far from it tbh.

Standard cancellation insurance will be fine by then.

This doesn't give me much hope for festivals around late July - August. I have 2000 Trees as my only camping festival this year (got One for the Road in October) and that's 3 weeks before Boomtown. I wonder if because they're a much smaller festival (10,000) that they'll risk it? I can't see how festivals smaller than them are gonna get by another year without help again. 

So much is still to happen and things will change many more times

new questions on why these cant go ahead will need to be asked if we reach 21 june and the roadmap hasnt changed

and then again once everyone has been vaccinated

so much still to change, its so fluid. 
of course by then it will be way too late.

Edited by Memory Man