Music Festivals given go ahead from late May...

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, Old_Johno said:

Is there any decent reason for festivals not to be allowed to happen? Or am i oversimplifying because I want them to happen. 

Surely with pre event testing, vaccines, summer, being outdoors, sanitiser everywhere it’s probably safer than a trip to the beach?

last summer cases were down to a handful per 100k (pre vaccination) so even with people faking tests the risk of anyone sneaking any covid in is ridiculously low to start with, and I doubt there many unvaccinated pensioners queuing up to go to Boomtown for some ket and bass. 

if it’s all based on some random varient showing up you could cancel off any overseas tickets for more defence in layers? 

As I understand it It's essentially the concern that these events would be mass super spreaders that would result in the virus being seeded into areas it might have been eliminated from and then find its way to the unprotected. 

The programme is trying to work out if all the measures you talk about in your post are enough to mitigate that risk.

Edited by Leyrulion

9 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Which festival is this Which is cancelled according to the Times?

20210419_224107.jpg

Am I right in saying Boomtown is around that number?

I did hear from a mate (who would have reason to know) they were potentially close to cancelling. but not sure if that was old information. 

6 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

As I understand it It's essentially the concern that these events would be mass super spreaders that would result in the virus being seeded into areas it might have been eliminated from and then find its way to the unprotected. 

The programme is trying to work out if all the measures you talk about in your post are enough to mitigate that risk.

if that’s the new government idea (no transmission at all versus “let’s not overwhelm hospitals”), then I’m not sure concerts/festivals could ever come back. 

1 hour ago, assorted said:

if that’s the new government idea (no transmission at all versus “let’s not overwhelm hospitals”), then I’m not sure concerts/festivals could ever come back. 

Yeah it'll only be younger people unprotected by gig season, those who are much less likely to go to hospital and even less likely to die. If we're worried about the vaccinated vulnerable then the logical conclusion would be to not even bother trying these test events. But they are so maybe we'll get lucky in a few events happening.

I'm hoping the liverpool gig is successful and hopefully there aren't any cases afterwards - any live music in summer relies on this. Lets also hope those behavioural scientists observing the crowd know what gigs are about- Im imagining stuffy old scientists being horrified by how close people get when social distancing is taken away, tests or otherwise! 

Edited by efcfanwirral
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Zacko said:

Am I right in saying Boomtown is around that number?

I did hear from a mate (who would have reason to know) they were potentially close to cancelling. but not sure if that was old information. 

75k. We heard it from the festival what would happen itself directly without funding.

5 hours ago, assorted said:

They will. But right now promoters are looking and thinking, in four months time we have a festival to run with 10s of thousands with a current daily average of 2600 approx new cases. Regardless of that going down, right now they need to know before funding is put in etc that should that not go as planned/a new spike etc that they are safe. And if I'm honest, the government are likely aware people want music but is it their priority to pump millions into letting punters be covered for that?, the answer is no.

The government have spent a lot of money this last 18 months and their priority is that people can get back to as normal standard going out life as possible, whereas events are a luxury. Priority is to save jobs, a festival or event cancelling not bring covered won't lose jobs but will just be pushed back. 

I'll probably get flamed for this and that's fine.

10 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

I agree it's a step but that's a 3rd of the capacity. This date is after the Euro Semi Final. If a 3rd is given the go ahead by then that will mean that 30k out of 90k can be used and the unlikely to change from that 2 days later for the final. Yes Wales isn't Wembley and London but still, this is the capital. Basically it says that by almost the middle of July that events may only be able to hold a 3rd of their capacity and that's what promoters have to go by.

But do people actually want me to come on here and say something different?, talk and pretend that things are different to how they are?

I've not got an August Festival the same weekend as Boomtown that is Independent and I consider I'm not going this year. I have another day two weeks later and I've been given reason to not be optimistic so I'm not going to bury my head in the clouds. 

There are days this summer where I'll get out in the weather and it'll be nice, it'll be fresh air and it'll be better than the last 18 months.

I had to return from New Zealand early due to the pandemic. Stuck in a hostel in a shit town for four days doing nothing but trying to get home. So right now I'm happy if I just get to see friends and etc atm as that wasn't doable after returning for extended periods.

Edited by thewayiam

14 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

You can stay overnight in someone else's house from May 17th can't you? So surely tent sharing would be fine. Wouldn't recommend doing it with anyone except your partner though. Remember sharing a very small 2-man with a friend at my first Reading...

Yes indeed, two households indoors from the 17th.

38 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Damn, now Boomtown is officially cancelled. I appreciate that their build is more technical than most but it's not looking good for this season, is it? 

Sad for everyone involved there. I still have confidence Reading and Leeds will go ahead but anything else might be a struggle?

3 hours ago, thewayiam said:

I agree it's a step but that's a 3rd of the capacity. This date is after the Euro Semi Final. If a 3rd is given the go ahead by then that will mean that 30k out of 90k can be used and the unlikely to change from that 2 days later for the final. Yes Wales isn't Wembley and London but still, this is the capital. Basically it says that by almost the middle of July that events may only be able to hold a 3rd of their capacity and that's what promoters have to go by.

But do people actually want me to come on here and say something different?, talk and pretend that things are different to how they are?

I've not got an August Festival the same weekend as Boomtown that is Independent and I consider I'm not going this year. I have another day two weeks later and I've been given reason to not be optimistic so I'm not going to bury my head in the clouds. 

There are days this summer where I'll get out in the weather and it'll be nice, it'll be fresh air and it'll be better than the last 18 months.

I had to return from New Zealand early due to the pandemic. Stuck in a hostel in a shit town for four days doing nothing but trying to get home. So right now I'm happy if I just get to see friends and etc atm as that wasn't doable after returning for extended periods.

Steelhouse festival in Wales is only two weeks after this Newport gig,so I suppose this only being a third of capacity isn’t a good sign for that.

3 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

If you consider that the blossoms event popped up on two weeks notice, even if we do see the festival season bits the dust due to lack of insurance, I think we could see some hastily arranged events pop up once the green light is given. 

I had this thought too, or even like a series of outdoor gigs that could fall under a festival guise e.g. Trnsmt. I'm confident gigs and some festivals will happen, its just about who can hold their nerve until then I guess, but I suppose some independent festivals may have little to no choice whereas others who have sponsorship can have some leeway

18 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Sad for everyone involved there. I still have confidence Reading and Leeds will go ahead but anything else might be a struggle?

The way things are panning out and as confident as Melvin Benn is sounding, I'd assume that Reading and Leeds go/no-go cut-off must be after June 21st? That still gives them two months to plan and build but that doesn't seem like very long at all, does it?

4 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

The way things are panning out and as confident as Melvin Benn is sounding, I'd assume that Reading and Leeds go/no-go cut-off must be after June 21st? That still gives them two months to plan and build but that doesn't seem like very long at all, does it?

Hmm it’s hard to interpret the reason. R&L doesn’t necessarily have the same logistics as Boomtown right? I’m thinking this may be a bit of a kiss of death for Reading but I wouldn’t be surprised if they can hold out a bit longer.

5 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Although Reading and Leeds are pretty big the setups pretty easy, it’s basically a gig in a field, doesn’t have the themeing and intricate stuff that you’d get an Boomtown or Glastonbury.

I used to live in Reading and setups probably 6 weeks 

Just now, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I suspect that Live Nation have a huge advantage in that, aside from the financial stability that a late cancellation won't bring down the company (unlike just about all of the independents), they own a lot of the stuff that other events would need to contract in and be paying for around now - ticketing, security, infrastructure, etc.

In that situation, 2 months notice is plenty for them. The plans will be done well ahead of that, and the build for something like Reading is only going to be about 2-3 weeks.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Hmm it’s hard to interpret the reason. R&L doesn’t necessarily have the same logistics as Boomtown right? I’m thinking this may be a bit of a kiss of death for Reading but I wouldn’t be surprised if they can hold out a bit longer.

Based upon absolutely no expertise whatsoever, even though it's smaller in capacity, I'd assume that Boomtown is a more complex build than Reading and Leeds. I can only think that the length of time it takes to plan and build Boomtown was a key factor in the decision, alongside the lack of financial protection that insurance would have provided. For everyone involved at RnL I hope it goes ahead but today's call by Boomtown puts a huge question mark over festival season 2021, particularly the weekend-long events

Just now, incident said:

I suspect that Live Nation have a huge advantage in that, aside from the financial stability that a late cancellation won't bring down the company (unlike just about all of the independents), they own a lot of the stuff that other events would need to contract in and be paying for around now - ticketing, security, infrastructure, etc.

In that situation, 2 months notice is plenty for them. The plans will be done well ahead of that, and the build for something like Reading is only going to be about 2-3 weeks.

They don't own infrastructure or security, just the ticketing platform.

Build starts around 25th July and is 5 weeks and break is around 2 weeks.

But yes they are a corporate machine, and would suck up losses if needed.

Boomtown statement below

https://www.boomtownfair.co.uk/info/covid-19/