Music Festivals given go ahead from late May...

Chrisp1986

2 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

Some tours for Sept and Oct cancelled too. Worrying.

I'm definitely unsure about any indoor live music happening this year. I'd be very surprised if we're allowed to go into respiratory illness season with mass gatherings in place. We just need to hope that a distinction is made between indoor and outdoor, and that summer is seen as a sort of "safe zone" but I'm not hopeful

4 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

My blood is boiling at the thought of seeing BBC footage of piles of people in pubs over the summer, watching sport and politicians patting themselves on the back that they've got 'life back to normal' and foreign holidays are back on (somewhere), yet its becoming less and less likely we can be outside, in a field enjoying the arts , there;s this whole sector thats been totally and utterly tossed aside.

I seriously thought there was hope for the end of the summer, its months away, yet with Shambala etc cancelling I'm losing hope, and thats not like me 😞

This is exactly how I feel - i don't feel confident going abroad this year, and i don't really want to start looking at meeting friends in the pub as some privilege that we should be grateful for. For me, losing the summer is pretty much having another year lost, and not even to save people's lives this time. Then like you say everyone will be off to benidorm which will make it feel even worse

But then I'm also on the side that the insurance underwriting would be a mental potential waste of taxpayer's money so I don't realistically think these events will or probably should happen, I think I'm just annoyed at the situation more than anything 

4 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I'm definitely unsure about any indoor live music happening this year. I'd be very surprised if we're allowed to go into respiratory illness season with mass gatherings in place. We just need to hope that a distinction is made between indoor and outdoor, and that summer is seen as a sort of "safe zone" but I'm not hopeful

I swear I’ve missed a chapter. What’s happened to getting vaccinated and getting our lives back? 😂 

2 hours ago, stuie said:

A second phase of the ERP is a pointless exercise without giving events the confidence to continue, there won’t be anything left. 

I’m still rooting for end of social restrictions on 21/6 including outdoor events. 

Pointless for this year, might allow them to confirm events can go ahead in 2022.

2 hours ago, stuie said:

A second phase of the ERP is a pointless exercise without giving events the confidence to continue, there won’t be anything left. 

I’m still rooting for end of social restrictions on 21/6 including outdoor events. 

10 weeks away from that date. I feel it's crazy to even think 21st June will be normal life.

4 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

10 weeks away from that date. I feel it's crazy to even think 21st June will be normal life.

I don't think many believe it will be "normal" but there are certainly some positive indications that a lot of the activities we've been unable to enjoy (with restrictions or at all) will be available to us again. For the subjects discussed on these boards, gigs and festivals, I think the restrictions may extend beyond July. Let's hope come August, things will feel a little closer to normality, even if they won't quite be 100% 

Interesting....

BBC Front Row this evening revealing that the DCMS have made a slight U-Turn and are now providing cancellation insurance for the events that are part of the Events Research Programme. 

The statement they gave the programme also says

"we are aware of the wider concerns about securing indemnity for live events and we're exploring what further support we may provide"

Apparently an insurance scheme would cost 250 million but could unlock 1.1. billion of activity.

From about 10 minutes in:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000v2qv

Interesting, perhaps moves afoot. I just wish the damn thing was faster.

Edited by Leyrulion

7 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I don't think many believe it will be "normal" but there are certainly some positive indications that a lot of the activities we've been unable to enjoy (with restrictions or at all) will be available to us again. For the subjects discussed on these boards, gigs and festivals, I think the restrictions may extend beyond July. Let's hope come August, things will feel a little closer to normality, even if they won't quite be 100% 

I hope as much as anyone. I'm bored not being able to travel. But I'm also sceptical I'll be able to properly before mid September time

13 hours ago, Chapple12345 said:

I know its a different kettle of fish but the Edinburgh Fringe has announced its going to try going ahead as planned for August, last year it was probably one of the first major things to cancel so it might give a bit of hope to promoters and organisers 

I might be wrong, but as far as I understand it, the Fringe don't organise any shows. They just allow performers to advertise in their magazine and sell tickets through their website and shop. So really they don't have any risk, it's the performers and venues that have the risk. So from a cynical point of view, the only thing the Fringe has to lose is good will, so could see how it would be easier for them to plough on.

4 hours ago, found home in 2009 said:

I might be wrong, but as far as I understand it, the Fringe don't organise any shows. They just allow performers to advertise in their magazine and sell tickets through their website and shop. So really they don't have any risk, it's the performers and venues that have the risk. So from a cynical point of view, the only thing the Fringe has to lose is good will, so could see how it would be easier for them to plough on.

You're right - it's down to individual venues and performers (and accommodation providers, which are the other big missing link). None of the big venues (Pleasance, Underbelly, Gilded Balloon, Assembly) have announced any shows, nor have The Stand or any of the Free Festival / Free Fringe venue alliances.

To put it into perspective, if you were performing at the Fringe in regular years, you'd normally have your venue confirmed towards the end of the preceeding year. And if you were going as a punter you'd better have accommodation booked by now. 

Something will be happening in Edinburgh this summer, but in the same way something is happening on Worthy Farm this summer. 

Edited by DeanoL

18 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

But then I'm also on the side that the insurance underwriting would be a mental potential waste of taxpayer's money so I don't realistically think these events will or probably should happen, I think I'm just annoyed at the situation more than anything 

I presume the costs associated with an insurance scheme are based on the government funding private insurers to reduce premiums to reasonable level?

Because, if it's actually a government insurance scheme, and the government are reasonable confident things will be able to go ahead, it won't actually cost them anything if they do? Because they won't have to pay out? 

Surely if the government run an insurance scheme and events can go ahead, like they keep saying they will do, the government will actually make money on that? Because promoters will have purchased this insurance?

I mean it'd be costly if they have to pay out, but if were at the point, especially in August, when events like this can't go ahead, we're likely fucked anyway.

1 hour ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Any idea which events those are?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-announces-pilot-events-to-pave-way-for-larger-audiences-at-sport-theatre-and-gigs-this-summer

The initial list of pilots is as follows:

• 16 April - Hot Water Comedy Club, Liverpool - 300 people (indoor seated)
  • 18 April - FA Cup Semi-Final - Wembley - 4,000 people (outdoor seated)
  • 17 April - 3 May - Snooker World Championships - Sheffield Crucible Theatre - up to 1,000 people a day (indoor seated)
  • 23-25 April - Luna Outdoor Cinema, Liverpool - 1,000 people (outdoor seated)
  • 24-25 April - Three 10k runs - Hatfield Park - 3,000 people and up to 3,000 spectators at each event (outdoor, mass participation run)
  • 25 April - Carabao Cup Final, Wembley - 8,000 people (outdoor, seated)
  • 28 April - Business Event, Liverpool - 1,000 people (indoor, seated and mixing)
  • 30 April - Circus Nightclub, Liverpool - circa 3,000 people (indoor club night)
  • 15 May - FA Cup Final, Wembley, London - 21,000 people (outdoor, seated)

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

I presume the costs associated with an insurance scheme are based on the government funding private insurers to reduce premiums to reasonable level?

Because, if it's actually a government insurance scheme, and the government are reasonable confident things will be able to go ahead, it won't actually cost them anything if they do? Because they won't have to pay out? 

Surely if the government run an insurance scheme and events can go ahead, like they keep saying they will do, the government will actually make money on that? Because promoters will have purchased this insurance?

I mean it'd be costly if they have to pay out, but if were at the point, especially in August, when events like this can't go ahead, we're likely fucked anyway.

Also if it's a government scheme surely they'll do a true economic costing assesment to include other costs. E.g. if these events don't happen what's the cost implications of so many people onto universal credit?

15 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Interesting....

BBC Front Row this evening revealing that the DCMS have made a slight U-Turn and are now providing cancellation insurance for the events that are part of the Events Research Programme. 

The statement they gave the programme also says

"we are aware of the wider concerns about securing indemnity for live events and we're exploring what further support we may provide"

Apparently an insurance scheme would cost 250 million but could unlock 1.1. billion of activity.

From about 10 minutes in:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000v2qv

Interesting, perhaps moves afoot. I just wish the damn thing was faster.

It's actually shocking that they didn't offer that in the first place for those events just by default - shows how little they either know or care about this stuff. Though if they're winging it that could mean they'll be influenced by lobbying. Hopefully some of the bigger companies put the bribes to the right people...

Edited by efcfanwirral

I've had a real influx of marketing emails from ticket companies lately for various events (some not until 2022). Mostly gigs and festivals, but today I got one telling me that two indie discos in London will be opening their doors on 26th June. Buy tickets now kind of thing. So there must be some level of confidence about nightclubs then? Or are they just winging it?

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

9 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I've had a real influx of marketing emails from ticket companies lately for various events (some not until 2022). Mostly gigs and festivals, but today I got one telling me that two indie discos in London will be opening their doors on 26th June. Buy tickets now kind of thing. So there must be some level of confidence about nightclubs then? Or are they just winging it?

The roadmap explicitly says all limits on social contact will end on the 21st and all remaining businesses such as nightclubs can reopen. The only reason to *not* expect this is if you think the roadmap will get delayed for some reason.

13 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

The roadmap explicitly says all limits on social contact will end on the 21st and all remaining businesses such as nightclubs can reopen. The only reason to *not* expect this is if you think the roadmap will get delayed for some reason.

So gigs and nightclubs likely to all be fine then? I thought they still depended on the events pilot thing.