Music Festivals given go ahead from late May...

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

They can, but transmission outside, in a couple of months' time with the huge increase in natural and vaccinated herd immunity make that a bit of a moot point. The bottom line is that these events could easily happen safely with an incredibly small risk of significant clinical impact of CV on a population level. Especially were there to be certification (I don't support it, but I can appreciate its utility). But the Johnson administration is showing no interest in making it so...unlike Grant Shapps who is now suggesting that your two weeks in Marbella is back on...

Ben 

I've long thought that people will be able to jet off on holidays before we can have events properly here 

Edited by efcfanwirral

21 hours ago, found home in 2009 said:

The statement also mentioned that their local authority hadn't been given any guidance about holding large scale events by the government. That must have been a pretty big red flag, if the local authority (who grant the license) don't know what the requirements will be this close to the festival what chance have Bearded Theory got of organising something that meets said unknown requirements.

No wonder events are being cancelled, organisers don't know what the rules will be when the event is scheduled and they can't get insurance. They are facing massive unknowns with no safety net. Being realistic only an idiot or a massive gambler would arrange a large scale event in those circumstances.

Spot on. Been saying a while now, a lot of events while being bold and putting tickets on sale on the hope that come their event all will be fine.

But with no information from DCMS to local authority level, who then need to be part of the SAG to get the event planning and license sorted months in advance, it's squeeky bum time for a lot of those 'sold out' events till late July IMO.

2 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Out of Latitude and WOMAD, which do you think has a better chance of going ahead this year? Alternatively, any other suggestions for festivals on that weekend?

I was planning to go to Bluedot but that's moved to next year now so trying to find a plan B

Womad this year has already cancelled. And Latitude will be likely on it's way.

27 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I googled it and just saw womad 2021 cancelled. My apologies. It was talked about being cancelled though and still probably will. 

It was never talked about cancelling this year, I know one of the main guys who runs it.

Wether it goes ahead this year is a different story, but he is confident.

Edited by Paul ™

Dropping this in a few threads.   Music Venue Trust running online survey on return to live music, what your gig habits were/are and what you're comfortable with (or not) happening in order to return to gigs. Get involved.

10 minutes ago, Quark said:

Dropping this in a few threads.   Music Venue Trust running online survey on return to live music, what your gig habits were/are and what you're comfortable with (or not) happening in order to return to gigs. Get involved.

At least its not youtube videos of Jessie J .... done 🙂 

3 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

Yup shame as end of August might be fine, but it's the risk factor again.

Wait till some of the bigger ones start doing the same

Might be fine? Paul, I predict that by the time Shambala was due to take place, EVERYTHING that hasn't had to adjust because of inadequate support (like the lack of insurance for festivals) will be essentially normal on a domestic level. FFS, we're almost certainly close to herd immunity in the U.K. Now. And we're talking about outdoor events in OVER four months' time. It's fucking outrageous. 

Ben

Another one bites the dust (16 to 18 July):

"The Bristol Harbour Festival will be taking a break in 2021.
This has been a difficult decision to come to, but unfortunately, the timelines leading up to this year’s event do not allow enough time to plan the event the city deserves. 
Instead, we will be focussing our efforts on creating an incredible 50th anniversary  celebration in 2022."

6 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Might be fine? Paul, I predict that by the time Shambala was due to take place, EVERYTHING that hasn't had to adjust because of inadequate support (like the lack of insurance for festivals) will be essentially normal on a domestic level. FFS, we're almost certainly close to herd immunity in the U.K. Now. And we're talking about outdoor events in OVER four months' time. It's fucking outrageous. 

Ben

Yes might. As depends on the event research programme which as I have mentioned several times on here, is running into mid summer.

Some people refused to believe there would be any impact on festivals after 21st June (weren't you one who dismissed it?), where as it was clear from February when the road map was out that it wouldn't be a normal summer.

1 minute ago, Paul ™ said:

Yes might. As depends on the event research programme which as I have mentioned several times on here, is running into mid summer.

Some people refused to believe there would be any impact on festivals after 21st June (weren't you one who dismissed it?), where as it was clear from February when the road map was out that it wouldn't be a normal summer.

Because there doesn’t need to be any restrictions. Covid has already cost a disproportionate amount of money compared to the potential harm of even the worst predictions. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Paul ™ said:

Sorry, Paul - by 'be fine' I meant societally and adequate safety to hold such events - not specifically that the industry would by then have had enough time to prepare, given the prescribed timelines of reopening. 

Ben

20 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

And, for the record, I never said there wouldn't be impact on festivals after 21 June - I recognise your knowledge, being inside the industry. I questioned the scientific 'need' for there to be. And, as I have said and with the current trajectory meeting or exceeding expectations, medically I still believe that there will be no need for that impact. Which makes this latest spate of festival cancellations even more galling, as we hear story after story of these w*nkers and their predecessors abusing the privilege of office to push their noses further into the trough. 

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22