Music Festivals given go ahead from late May...

Chrisp1986

7 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

where has this doctor appointment thing come from ? ive done my tests myself as will most of the kids going back to schools and their parents ...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.leeds-live.co.uk/best-in-leeds/gigs-clubs/health-passports-covid-teams-among-19946836.amp - in here. If thats their big plan it doesn't fill me with confidence 

How do you register the results of the test? 

2 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.leeds-live.co.uk/best-in-leeds/gigs-clubs/health-passports-covid-teams-among-19946836.amp - in here. If thats their big plan it doesn't fill me with confidence 

How do you register the results of the test? 

or they just do one of the tests that will become plentiful as the numbers drop and the govt will want them being used and register it on the app that is currently in use ....personally I dont believe anything those Live clickbait sites say ... unless they've got the info from here ... which is commonplace 

2 hours ago, Homer said:

Probably massively behind here but just read this:

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2021/mar/06/fans-and-artists-must-have-covid-vaccine-before-attending-music-festivals-say-organisers

What I don't get is... won't this cause massive trouble?! I'm 44 and I can't see myself having had both of my jabs by the time festival season starts! Having had one jab seems like it may be a reasonable compromise. (Am open to the idea that I may be being stupid here.)

I may be being overly optimistic, but isn't this just an opinion piece?

My take is that 'full lifting' of restrictions on 21 June at earliest, or thereafter if slippage, can only mean just that, including the end of needing to demonstrate vaccination or negative test. I still feel that the commercial viability of forcing evidence from every attendee at large events is doomed to fail and is unimplementable - e.g. insisting an app QR demonstrating vaccine and/or exemption plus negative test and/or negative test as not in the vaccine group (<18 or <16 years etc.).

As others have said, I think earlier in the thread - who is paying for the tests? Is it fair to ask a 19 year old to pay £450 extra to go to three festivals in July-September? What tests? Lateral flow? Pointless at </= 50% accuracy. 

I know there are lots of sensible counterarguments to my assertion, but I truly believe it'll be a case of critical mass of vaccination plus natural immunity from infection having been reached nationally, so as to create a scenario where the UK doesn't 'need' to impose a passport, certainly domestically. That is, that we know we won't get to zero COVID, but that the breadth of protection in the country is so high as to render the ongoing low infection/serious infection/hospitalisation/death rates entirely manageable in terms of impact on the NHS. When there were 50 000 excess 'flu deaths in 2017, no additional measures of restriction/vaccine passport etc. were imposed. Obviously this scenario is different in terms of scale and acuity, but once vaccination impacts adequately on the volume of disease (and absolutely everything is pointing to it doing this, likely earlier than anticipated, such is the efficacy of the vaccines on disease and transmission, compared to most vaccines...), then we are 'back to normal' = festivals without conditions.

Ben

• Upvote 5

Continuing that thought process, and of course, with this lot at the helm gods only know what inconsistencies and bollocks they'll come up with, but...

Is it really tenable to say that, on say, the day that Latitude starts, 35 000 people have to stand in line, awaiting formal checking of one of the mandatory vaccine checks before entry to an, essentially, outdoor event with masses of open space, but 1000 pubs can be absolutely rammed, each with 350 people crammed in cheek-by-jowl, indoors, having not had to demonstrate the same? Or do we believe that on a pub crawl you'll need to have your QR scanned every time you try to walk into one of the eight pubs on your list, before you're allowed in? After 'full lifting' of restrictions? It just doesn't bear any logical scrutiny. I know I'm a broken record, sorry, but it's either normal or not happening. The alternative is the couple of small festivals still modelling themselves for this summer on one-way systems, designated areas where you can sit or stand with distancing etc. Fine for occasional events for those who might be prepared to go to such things under such conditions - good on ya, it's not for me - but unenforceable for population-level activity and it would, IMO, augur financial destruction for many of the big events. I haven't looked at the detail, but my understanding is that Israel is very close to 'restriction-free' life. It'll be fascinating to see how they address these sort of issues once it's all back to normal there...

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22

35 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Continuing that thought process, and of course, with this lot at the helm gods only know what inconsistencies and bollocks they'll come up with, but...

Is it really tenable to say that, on say, the day that Latitude starts, 35 000 people have to stand in line, awaiting formal checking of one of the mandatory vaccine checks before entry to an, essentially, outdoor event with masses of open space, but 1000 pubs can be absolutely rammed, each with 350 people crammed in cheek-by-jowl, indoors, having not had to demonstrate the same? Or do we believe that on a pub crawl you'll need to have your QR scanned every time you try to walk into one of the eight pubs on your list, before you're allowed in? After 'full lifting' of restrictions? It just doesn't bear any logical scrutiny. I know I'm a broken record, sorry, but it's either normal or not happening. The alternative is the couple of small festivals still modelling themselves for this summer on one-way systems, designated areas where you can sit or stand with distancing etc. Fine for occasional events for those who might be prepared to go to such things under such conditions - good on ya, it's not for me - but unenforceable for population-level activity and it would, IMO, augur financial destruction for many of the big events. I haven't looked at the detail, but my understanding is that Israel is very close to 'restriction-free' life. It'll be fascinating to see how they address these sort of issues once it's all back to normal there...

Ben

I agree I think its mental but there are many people who are terrified to go out and even more terrified to be around people who are  unvaccinated. Not a surprise after a year of daily numbers, talk of variants etc. 

From what I've seen Israel has vaccine passports for almost everything and intend to have them expire after 6 months, to be extended only with another vaccine (on top of the two shots already). God knows what happens after that, same again presumably

I don't think it's a matter of if this is happening  for festivals, but what the conditions are and how realistic it is for them to happen with it. The big problem is how long it'll take to get to that decision when they need to know now

The government don't care about festivals- the rules may well involve testing everyone, and they won't care if its logistically possible or not 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I’ve just had a text to say Pilton Party is going to be a weekend thing this year.

Word coming from someone connected to the festival locally.

How that works in terms of licensing / if camping is on or offsite etc I’m not sure?

The festival has plenty of tents available for use ... 

4 hours ago, Homer said:

How much is it please? Quite a few of my mates are up for it. @Superscally are you going to this? Nads mentioned it on Facebollocks.

I like the bill - but have to say, it's one of the least musically diverse line-ups I've ever seen!

£54 including fees. Not sure it needs to be that diverse musically? It's a gig with support acts rather than a festival, or at least that's how I'm seeing it! I actually think New Order and Hot Chip are quite different too, although I love both.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

£54 including fees. Not sure it needs to be that diverse musically? It's a gig with support acts rather than a festival, or at least that's how I'm seeing it! I actually think New Order and Hot Chip are quite different too, although I love both.

Yep its a New Order gig using the Parklife staging - was going to be Liam Gallagher doing the same this past year. Don't think that number of people would necessarily pay that amount for New Order on their own, even in Manchester. 

52 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

IN. Just purchased, see y’all there ✌🏻

5 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

or they just do one of the tests that will become plentiful as the numbers drop and the govt will want them being used and register it on the app that is currently in use ....personally I dont believe anything those Live clickbait sites say ... unless they've got the info from here ... which is commonplace 

So when the article it cites was the Telegraph one who had a full interview with the head of Reading/Leeds, that isnt a legit source? 

6 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Many under 30s are highly unlikely to have had the 2nd one by then (plus 2-3 weeks for it to become effective)  with the 3 month gap. That's where the issues come in. 

I agree with the last bit but it's political posturing - we all know where we're heading with proof of vaccination but they just won't admit it. Everyone should know where they stand now, but it's likely to be May when they finally admit it will be needed, far too late for festivals to plan 

I personally don't think any Zoom doctor appointments should be done to let people into a festival. Complete waste unless you hire some specific admin people to do it (which is an option- even a new company to certify people for events). It should never take away from real medical work 

It all needs to be laid out now so plans can be made all round - both for customers and festivals. Timelines can't be give but requirements can be 

I mean theyre trying to find a stop gap to prevent anyone from falsifying documents to gain entry which is admirable. There are better ways to go about it but who knows, they can change it to a more efficient process and have time to do so. I find it promising that they at the very least have some type of plan which at this point would satisfy the guidance.  I think you have to exceed whatever the government is going to give you in this situation. As much as it can be perceived as too cautious, its better to be safe than sorry. 

7 hours ago, Homer said:

Probably massively behind here but just read this:

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2021/mar/06/fans-and-artists-must-have-covid-vaccine-before-attending-music-festivals-say-organisers

What I don't get is... won't this cause massive trouble?! I'm 44 and I can't see myself having had both of my jabs by the time festival season starts! Having had one jab seems like it may be a reasonable compromise. (Am open to the idea that I may be being stupid here.)

There will be a fudge. The most likely fudge, IMO, is that the vaccine passport will be valid from 2-3 weeks after your first dose, however if your first dose was more than 3 months ago then the passport will be invalidated unless you've had the second dose. I also think the LFT's will play a pivotal role in mass events this summer as an alternative to vaccine passports.

If we take 21 June as the starting date for mass events then the vast, vast majority of adults will have been offered a first dose by that point whereas you're probably looking at only around a third of adults who will have have the full protection of being 2-3 weeks past the second dose. That third of adults happens to be those who are the least likely to be attending events as well because they're old or sick.

If the festival season is going to go ahead at all then you need one of these two things, preferably both:

1. Vaccine passports that are valid after the FIRST dose (No reason not to do this given the demonstrable efficacy from a single dose. Second dose is just a booster shot)

2. Unvaccinated persons should still be allowed to attend if they can produce a negative LFT. This is to reduce the unfairness on those lucky enough to be young and healthy. 

41 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

There will be a fudge. The most likely fudge, IMO, is that the vaccine passport will be valid from 2-3 weeks after your first dose, however if your first dose was more than 3 months ago then the passport will be invalidated unless you've had the second dose. I also think the LFT's will play a pivotal role in mass events this summer as an alternative to vaccine passports.

If we take 21 June as the starting date for mass events then the vast, vast majority of adults will have been offered a first dose by that point whereas you're probably looking at only around a third of adults who will have have the full protection of being 2-3 weeks past the second dose. That third of adults happens to be those who are the least likely to be attending events as well because they're old or sick.

If the festival season is going to go ahead at all then you need one of these two things, preferably both:

1. Vaccine passports that are valid after the FIRST dose (No reason not to do this given the demonstrable efficacy from a single dose. Second dose is just a booster shot)

2. Unvaccinated persons should still be allowed to attend if they can produce a negative LFT. This is to reduce the unfairness on those lucky enough to be young and healthy. 

Option 1 would be logistically easier if they want to target the people who don't want to be vaccinated (with the assumption all been offered one easily by 21st june).  i guess if the science backs it up, which numbers so far seem to.

They have to surely - younger people will be willing to get out and spend, and excluding them from parts of the economy for 3 months for a 2nd jab that offers minimal additional benefit sounds crazy to me 

Edited by efcfanwirral

3 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Yep its a New Order gig using the Parklife staging - was going to be Liam Gallagher doing the same this past year. Don't think that number of people would necessarily pay that amount for New Order on their own, even in Manchester. 

I just checked and I paid £43.50 to see them in London in 2015 so with Hot Chip thrown in that's a bargain for me! 

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

I just checked and I paid £43.50 to see them in London in 2015 so with Hot Chip thrown in that's a bargain for me! 

That's usually my criteria for big gigs - prefer it like a mini festival day. Eagerly looking out for the APE, BST type shows in the near future before making too many decisions on which to go to!

25 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I think it's an absolute bargain and I'm honestly surprised it hasn't sold out yet. But also very disappointed that some of my friends still aren't convinced about going... 😞

Have heard good things about Working Men's Club from a friend that's seen them too

12 hours ago, JoeyT said:

I’ve just had a text to say Pilton Party is going to be a weekend thing this year.

Word coming from someone connected to the festival locally.

How that works in terms of licensing / if camping is on or offsite etc I’m not sure?

Interesting.....wonder if they are going to allow camping and if its going to be a lot bigger than normal?