Music Festivals given go ahead from late May...

Chrisp1986

35 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I met up with a mate for Sheryl Crow on the Friday afternoon at Glastonbury 2019 and when that set finished we and many others who were stood near us all ran straight for the shade.

Just looked up Vampire Weekend time slot, they played the Park Saturday lunchtime...which was about the time I was wandering around trying to find any patch of shade to sleep under...I finished my shift Friday night 5am, got back to camp and got about 2 hours before the heat drove me out of my tent.  Horrendous. 

Spent a huge amount of that Friday sat in the shade up by the Acoustic. Ventured out for Lauren Hill, which was a mistake, and did the same again on the Saturday. It finally cooled down early evening on the Saturday IIRC. Remember sat at the Other watching Johnny Marr relieved that it was finally ok to be out in the sun again.

16 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Spent a huge amount of that Friday sat in the shade up by the Acoustic. Ventured out for Lauren Hill, which was a mistake, and did the same again on the Saturday. It finally cooled down early evening on the Saturday IIRC. Remember sat at the Other watching Johnny Marr relieved that it was finally ok to be out in the sun again.

It was a relief wasn't it! You weren't far from me as I lay in the shade by the theatre tent after Sheryl Crow for about 3 hours....constantly getting annoyed that I was missing a lot of bimbling around on a day off but also I couldn't bare the heat.  I was starting a shift at 7pm and eventually made my way towards the Stonebridge bar and stopped at the Other stage for The Charlatans and like you say was relieved that it had finally cooled down!

Saturday I had to hide until I made my way to the Pyramid field during Hozier/Janet Jackson and then tried to drink a pint outside the Mandela bar whilst waiting for a mate I was watching Liam Gallagher with.....was just about ok by that point!

I don't mind the heat, but that was a joke!

1 hour ago, gooner1990 said:

I met up with a mate for Sheryl Crow on the Friday afternoon at Glastonbury 2019 and when that set finished we and many others who were stood near us all ran straight for the shade.

Just looked up Vampire Weekend time slot, they played the Park Saturday lunchtime...which was about the time I was wandering around trying to find any patch of shade to sleep under...I finished my shift Friday night 5am, got back to camp and got about 2 hours before the heat drove me out of my tent.  Horrendous. 

Sorry just remembered it was their secret set, not their main one, so that was either Friday or Saturday Morning. Down in the crowd close enough to see them at the park was essentially unbearable and we lasted about 10 minutes.

I saw a couple of people mention public liability insurance on Twitter - maybe incorrect but we only seem to be talking about cancellation insurance - will they even get public liability if we aren't at the point where everyone there has had their two vaccines? 

Edited by efcfanwirral

13 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

It was a relief wasn't it! You weren't far from me as I lay in the shade by the theatre tent after Sheryl Crow for about 3 hours....constantly getting annoyed that I was missing a lot of bimbling around on a day off but also I couldn't bare the heat.  I was starting a shift at 7pm and eventually made my way towards the Stonebridge bar and stopped at the Other stage for The Charlatans and like you say was relieved that it had finally cooled down!

Saturday I had to hide until I made my way to the Pyramid field during Hozier/Janet Jackson and then tried to drink a pint outside the Mandela bar whilst waiting for a mate I was watching Liam Gallagher with.....was just about ok by that point!

I ended up with sunstroke or something in that heat. Went back to the tent early hours of Saturday, proceeded to be sick non-stop for hours and ended up in the medical centre!

1 hour ago, Zacko said:

Yeah 2012 was beautiful weather! 

It's been discussed on here before, but it's such a shame only Camp Bestival exists now. Felt like Bestival proper just had a couple of unlucky years with weather and headliners starting from about 2016 onwards. 

I still feel like nothing has really replaced it in the calendar. Proper end of Summer party vibes.

I wonder if it will ever return, or whether the financial side of it would make that impossible. Weren't London Grammar owed 100K or something?

I agree... I miss Bestival.  We went every year from the 2012 Glasto fallow year until the end. The last couple they’d clearly lost their way and the crowd went shit too. 

The Port was an awesome stage, managed to get the vibe spot on, especially for the daytime party.  Shame it’s replacement was hideous! 

I’d love for it to return one day - to Robin Hill. 

9 minutes ago, stuie said:

I agree... I miss Bestival.  We went every year from the 2012 Glasto fallow year until the end. The last couple they’d clearly lost their way and the crowd went shit too. 

The Port was an awesome stage, managed to get the vibe spot on, especially for the daytime party.  Shame it’s replacement was hideous! 

I’d love for it to return one day - to Robin Hill. 

The Port is hands down my favourite stage ever, something about it just hit differently.

I'm sure there's showier looking stages around these days, but it was just unbeatable ❤️ 

Fond fond memories of Annie Mac dropping Whitney and the place just erupting. I always think of it as being one of my memories that contains the most sheer JOY. Hands in air, people hugging, confetti, perfection. 

2 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

ooo tell me all, date wise IOW works out for me, with a planned trip to the UK, so wondering whether to try to go ... line up not great but any live music would be good right now and a week on IOW would be lovely.

I wouldn't rule out isle of Wight Festival, but it is lacking in certain parts. People will defend it by saying that this tent or that tent was brilliant, but my group never really found anything other than the main stage and the big top worth spending time at. My memories of it are a long walk from the vastly overpriced CV field to the main arena, punctuated by stalls selling the usual stuff.

There was very little by way of entertainment after the big top closed, and in fact I remember one night some guy was walking around with a sound system in a wheelbarrow, close to the camping areas. Security very quickly broke up the party and told us all to go back to our tents 🤷‍♂️

Bestival on the other hand... Now that was great. Totally different vibe.

Edited by km9

2 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Anyone know if we get a cottage on the island are there buses that run to the festival site every day and if so where from or is it near impossible to get around and get back to all corners of the island - I'm currently studying a map of IOW 🙂

Buses are pretty good on the island, especially during the festival. You should be fine. I wouldn't go too far out though as you could be looking at a lenghty bus journey each way. Ideally you want somewhere in Newport, Ryde, Sandown or Cowes.

1 hour ago, km9 said:

If that's the Annie Mac set in thinking of, she finished up with Toto and womack & womack. Was a highlight of mine. 

The bestival at Lulworth castle was fun but not in the same league.

I think it was 2015 as she also did the main stage that night before the Chems, similarly huge. What a place! 

And good god that 2012 Big Top lineup was serious wasn't it 😮 The sheer sweat levels in the tent that night

2 hours ago, duke88 said:

I ended up with sunstroke or something in that heat. Went back to the tent early hours of Saturday, proceeded to be sick non-stop for hours and ended up in the medical centre!

One of my friends had sunstroke at the tail end of the festival in 2010...spent the entire Sunday at the campsite!

1 hour ago, Henrik said:

Buses are pretty good on the island, especially during the festival. You should be fine. I wouldn't go too far out though as you could be looking at a lenghty bus journey each way. Ideally you want somewhere in Newport, Ryde, Sandown or Cowes.

thank you , the places I;ve found werern;t there and seem to be on the south coast - thanks back to the drawing board. Thinks its a week in IOW with a festival thrown in (for us) rather than the other way around - if that makes any sense 🙂

16 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

What happened? Go too mainstream? 

Think it was more about poor ticket sales and money problems than anything else.

They only sold 35,000 tickets in 2016 (out of 60,000), and as a result that festival had some dramatic and noticeable last minute cutbacks which pissed off a lot of the regulars. They basically never recovered from that - the following year was moved to Lulworth to try and save cash and attract people back who didn't want to pay Ferry costs, and then the year after that in another cost saving measure they moved to the weekend after Camp B so that they could use all the same infrastructure twice. Somewhere within all that they took out millions of pounds in loans and ended up collapsing in a huge pile of debt.

3 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

Saturday we walked from the healing fields to John Peel Tent to get to gerry Cinnamon. 

It took forever, honestly the grassy area outside the tent was strewn with people who'd given up the last trek and fallen down with ice creams. The van must have taken five figures whilst we were there. 

55 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

thank you , the places I;ve found werern;t there and seem to be on the south coast - thanks back to the drawing board. Thinks its a week in IOW with a festival thrown in (for us) rather than the other way around - if that makes any sense 🙂

No problem. If you find somewhere to stay but are not sure about it just let me know and I will take a look. I know the island very well. 

1 hour ago, incident said:

Think it was more about poor ticket sales and money problems than anything else.

They only sold 35,000 tickets in 2016 (out of 60,000), and as a result that festival had some dramatic and noticeable last minute cutbacks which pissed off a lot of the regulars. They basically never recovered from that - the following year was moved to Lulworth to try and save cash and attract people back who didn't want to pay Ferry costs, and then the year after that in another cost saving measure they moved to the weekend after Camp B so that they could use all the same infrastructure twice. Somewhere within all that they took out millions of pounds in loans and ended up collapsing in a huge pile of debt.

Wow - that sounds horrendous for the organisers.

We're all so massively entitled, aren't we? - essentially seeing it as our 'right' to get messed up in a field for five days. Don't get me wrong, festivals are immeasurably important to me and the Farm is one of my (the?) favourite places on the planet. But, who'd run a festival, eh? 😳

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22