Music Festivals given go ahead from late May...

Chrisp1986

6 minutes ago, Havors said:

Probably hard to get the council to agree amongst the logistical challenges. 

Tbh that'd probably be the easiest part.

Trying to coordinate the literally hundreds of organisations that combine to make Glastonbury Festival, and that each have their own things going on was always going to make the idea a non starter. IOW doesn't have that problem to anywhere near the same extent as l it's largely a single entity with a few subcontractors.

7 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

That'll be cold....

Bestival used to be around the same time. Well, there or thereabouts. I remember 2012 there was really warm and sunny in the day. Chilly nights but that's not too bad, just dress accordingly. Strangely enough, I prefer September's seemingly more settled weather to the Russian Roulette that is June 

I’m not seeing any festival friendly budget forecasts in the press. Some talk of a culture fund but only theatre, museums and galleries being mentioned. 

Sacha Lord called today the most critical of his career. I tend to think some of these festival announcements are a bit premature. 

12 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Bestival used to be around the same time. Well, there or thereabouts. I remember 2012 there was really warm and sunny in the day. Chilly nights but that's not too bad, just dress accordingly. Strangely enough, I prefer September's seemingly more settled weather to the Russian Roulette that is June 

I went to Bestival in 2012, and iirc I had shorts on during the day and then usually had to go and change at about 7pm once the sun disappeared.

I felt lucky that it was the only year that was completely rain free!

13 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I was at Bestival 2012 and it was obscenely hot! Like Glastonbury 2019 hot!

I mean if I could a picture taken from some popular animated television programme of a one off character demonstrating how hot he was I would post it. But to my knowledge such a picture does not exist.

Edited by Hugh Jass
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

It's only around a week later, but I seem to remember that the early to mid September weekends at bestival were probably as late in the year as I would have been comfortable camping.

I think that isle of Wight Festival has the potential of doing well, but that will depend on the weather and how we all feel the summer went. If latitude doesn't go ahead I'll think about isle of Wight, but it's unlikely as the fun police tend to be out in force at that particular festival.

10 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I was also at Bestival the year it absolutely pissed it down all weekend too. The "under the sea" theme was particularly apt.

2008, my first of 5 Bestivals in a row and by far the worse weather wise, but what a weekend it was! 

The rest were pretty decent actually, sunny days and colder nights.

3 hours ago, kalifire said:

I’m not seeing any festival friendly budget forecasts in the press. Some talk of a culture fund but only theatre, museums and galleries being mentioned. 

Sacha Lord called today the most critical of his career. I tend to think some of these festival announcements are a bit premature. 

As much as we love them does it really make economic sense to do this? Nobody knows if it will be ok for them to happen, especially with all this talk of variants, the vaccine passport technology might not be in place (and testing while no restrictions will surely just lead to loads being turned away) 

There is the argument about helping those self employed to earn again but considering the excluded UK stuff it doesn't sound like they care about that, and maybe actively want those people to find different jobs 

I did nearly all the Bestivals and I don't remember many bad weather years at all. 2008 was horrendous but that was mainly underfoot conditions - a bit like Glasto 2016.

This year's IOW is at least a week later than Bestival ever was though.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

It felt it. Memory might be playing tricks but I recall it being ludicrously hot in the daytime. The sort of heat you can't even drink in.

Glastonbury 2019 (especially on the Friday and Saturday) was pretty much unbearable...I worked late on my bar Friday night and just wanted to sleep Saturday daytime but struggled to find any shade and couldn't handle being out in the heat for anything more than 20 mins.

Bestival 2012 was unusually warm for that time of year but you could sit out in it fine and was jumper and jeans weather by about 7pm when the sun went down. 

5 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Glastonbury 2019 (especially on the Friday and Saturday) was pretty much unbearable...I worked late on my bar Friday night and just wanted to sleep Saturday daytime but struggled to find any shade and couldn't handle being out in the heat for anything more than 20 mins.

Bestival 2012 was unusually warm for that time of year but you could sit out in it fine and was jumper and jeans weather by about 7pm when the sun went down. 

Yeah, whatever day Vampire weekend played the park in 2019 was as close to unbearable as I’ve ever experienced heat wise at a festival. It was so oppressive, we left VW and actually walked up the hill to the bar there, just to get some breeze (it seemed like a very, very bad idea while walking up the hill but was worth it when we got there m) and we ended up there four a couple of hours. I’ll normally take all the sun you can throw at me but that was touch and go. Nothing even close at the sunny Bestival I experienced, not even in the same ballpark.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

1 hour ago, km9 said:

It's only around a week later, but I seem to remember that the early to mid September weekends at bestival were probably as late in the year as I would have been comfortable camping.

I think that isle of Wight Festival has the potential of doing well, but that will depend on the weather and how we all feel the summer went. If latitude doesn't go ahead I'll think about isle of Wight, but it's unlikely as the fun police tend to be out in force at that particular festival.

ooo tell me all, date wise IOW works out for me, with a planned trip to the UK, so wondering whether to try to go ... line up not great but any live music would be good right now and a week on IOW would be lovely.

Anyone know if we get a cottage on the island are there buses that run to the festival site every day and if so where from or is it near impossible to get around and get back to all corners of the island - I'm currently studying a map of IOW 🙂

Yeah 2012 was beautiful weather! 

It's been discussed on here before, but it's such a shame only Camp Bestival exists now. Felt like Bestival proper just had a couple of unlucky years with weather and headliners starting from about 2016 onwards. 

I still feel like nothing has really replaced it in the calendar. Proper end of Summer party vibes.

I wonder if it will ever return, or whether the financial side of it would make that impossible. Weren't London Grammar owed 100K or something?

17 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Yeah, whatever day Vampire weekend played the park in 2019 was as close to unbearable as I’ve ever experienced heat wise at a festival. It was so oppressive, we left VW and actually walked up the hill to the bar there, just to get some breeze (it seemed like a very, very bad idea while walking up the hill but was worth it when we got there m) and we ended up there four a couple of hours. I’ll normally take all the sun you can throw at me but that was touch and go. Nothing even close at the sunny Bestival I experienced, not even in the same ballpark.

I met up with a mate for Sheryl Crow on the Friday afternoon at Glastonbury 2019 and when that set finished we and many others who were stood near us all ran straight for the shade.

Just looked up Vampire Weekend time slot, they played the Park Saturday lunchtime...which was about the time I was wandering around trying to find any patch of shade to sleep under...I finished my shift Friday night 5am, got back to camp and got about 2 hours before the heat drove me out of my tent.  Horrendous.