Music Festivals given go ahead from late May...

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, Homer said:

Oh thanks, was just heading to the foreign forums to find out! Quite handy for me as been to a fair few Spanish and Portuguese ones, nut never Prima/ Do you know if they are keeping the same line-up?

No, it'll be an amended lineup unfortunately. I'd keep an eye on what other UK/EU festivals are announcing around the same time as they'll all be sharing artists.

1 minute ago, incident said:

The other concern about foreign is that if even you're allowed to travel, there's no guarantee the flights will run or what the schedule will be.

I've got a gig booked for Dublin in June, and have already had Ryanair cancel my flights so getting there and back would be a lot more hassle than I intended.. Though for that one I'm a bit more relaxed as I think it's unlikely to actually go ahead. Not sure I'd want to risk needing flights for a proper festival this year though.

Good thinking mate, thanks. Re Prima, I'll obvs wait. I suppose one good thing is that flying from London to Barca is a pretty major, well serviced route.

2 minutes ago, Zacko said:

Stonking lineup isn't it! 

Someone posted on here they were moving to September 11th (I think? Either then or the weekend before or after that)

Annoying as we've got Love Saves the Day and then Tokyo World early September - that's why I was praying that Sonar would maybe move to July or August! 

You live in Bristol mate? Is Tokyo any good?

8 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

No, it'll be an amended lineup unfortunately. I'd keep an eye on what other UK/EU festivals are announcing around the same time as they'll all be sharing artists.

Ah thanks, will do... typically The Strokes would have been top of my to-see list! There's a lot there though.

55 minutes ago, Homer said:

You live in Bristol mate? Is Tokyo any good?

I do! Not actually been to Tokyo yet, although loads have mates have gone. Lots have raved about the stage designs, but usually the lineups aren't too much to my taste so I've never been yet. 

It also usually shares the same location as Love Saves the Day, so they didn't feel too distinct before this year. However LSTD is moving to a bigger space, so now it'll feel properly like I'm doing 2 seperate fests. ❤️ 

Unless we get Wilderness tickets I do think I'll miss a camping festival but knowing Glasto is awaiting in 2021 will help with that I think. 

With everything selling out so quickly, what are the chances of new things coming up? Small pretty impromptu festivals I mean. Just thinking if organisers see the demand is huge they might chance it, but have no idea how far in advance these things have to be planned. Not on about illegal raves as I'm pretty confident they will happen. Just wondering if maybe one of two organisers might chuck a second event on? Am I being completely ridiculous?

11 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

With everything selling out so quickly, what are the chances of new things coming up? Small pretty impromptu festivals I mean. Just thinking if organisers see the demand is huge they might chance it, but have no idea how far in advance these things have to be planned. Not on about illegal raves as I'm pretty confident they will happen. Just wondering if maybe one of two organisers might chuck a second event on? Am I being completely ridiculous?

Apparently some big one off gigs to be announced in the next few weeks. And all points East I'd assume

Edited by zahidf

8 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

That's tricky - part of the reason that nearly all festivals (from July onwards) are pushing ahead will be because they've got ongoing costs (staff salaries etc) regardless of whether they're able run or not and so cancelling still incurs a significant loss. The only exception I'm aware of is Bearded Theory which the organisers put together in their spare time. Then obviously starting something as a one time thing would incur some additional costs anyway, with higher than normal risks - the site needs to be licenced, contracts agreed, marketing, etc. There's the chance that demand might now be largely exhausted with people already having bought their tickets to various other festivals - while more than usual have sold out, there's still quite a few with decent name value that haven't yet.

Which all bizarrely means that GFL could be better placed than anyone to put something small and ad-hoc together if they wanted - they've got the land, they've got full time employees ready to get to work on it, the site is already licenced for events so they'd just need a new EMP, and they've got a strong enough reputation that they could be confident of attracting both attention and an audience. The other possibility would be something that wasn't planning to run in 2021, like Lunar Festival, changes their mind - though in their case they've already announced that they're going to use the site for distanced "not a festival" distanced weekends like last summer.

21 minutes ago, incident said:

That's tricky - part of the reason that nearly all festivals (from July onwards) are pushing ahead will be because they've got ongoing costs (staff salaries etc) regardless of whether they're able run or not and so cancelling still incurs a significant loss. The only exception I'm aware of is Bearded Theory which the organisers put together in their spare time. Then obviously starting something as a one time thing would incur some additional costs anyway, with higher than normal risks - the site needs to be licenced, contracts agreed, marketing, etc. There's the chance that demand might now be largely exhausted with people already having bought their tickets to various other festivals - while more than usual have sold out, there's still quite a few with decent name value that haven't yet.

Which all bizarrely means that GFL could be better placed than anyone to put something small and ad-hoc together if they wanted - they've got the land, they've got full time employees ready to get to work on it, the site is already licenced for events so they'd just need a new EMP, and they've got a strong enough reputation that they could be confident of attracting both attention and an audience. The other possibility would be something that wasn't planning to run in 2021, like Lunar Festival, changes their mind - though in their case they've already announced that they're going to use the site for distanced "not a festival" distanced weekends like last summer.

I would love it if GFL pulled something together. If I was them I'd maybe take one popular element/area and just have something inspired around that. Imagine just The Park as its own little festival? Or even a lot of the South East Corner stuff as its own event? Each area already has its own vibe so I could see it working.

Just booked Truck 👍🏻

I’m quite excited as I thought my non Glasto camping festivals days were over. Always go to plenty of day things but didn’t envisage doing a weekend one again.

I was quite surprised at the low uptake amongst my group, though. A few of us were absolutely gagging to get something booked, but quite a few have given it the ‘oh I need to check dates, I might be doing something etc etc’. I don’t know if it’s age or a hangover from Covid.

9 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I was quite surprised at the low uptake amongst my group, though. A few of us were absolutely gagging to get something booked, but quite a few have given it the ‘oh I need to check dates, I might be doing something etc etc’. I don’t know if it’s age or a hangover from Covid.

I wouldn't read too much into this. Plenty of people got burned with non-refunds last year for certain things (holidays, festivals, gigs, etc) and are still watching their finances carefully, so I can see why having even more money tied up in something that might not go ahead isn't that appealing.

1 minute ago, jannybruck said:

I wouldn't read too much into this. Plenty of people got burned with non-refunds last year for certain things (holidays, festivals, gigs, etc) and are still watching their finances carefully, so I can see why having even more money tied up in something that might not go ahead isn't that appealing.

Yeah, I’m not taking it personally or anything, it’s just if it was a year ago and pre-Covid most would’ve jumped at the idea. There is a group of us that go to Glasto every year and then another group who always do 4/5 day festivals at least and load of gigs together.

I guess the fact that I’m borderline depressed at not having experienced live music for so long, I assumed more of them would feel the same!

24 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Just booked Truck 👍🏻

I’m quite excited as I thought my non Glasto camping festivals days were over. Always go to plenty of day things but didn’t envisage doing a weekend one again.

See you there ☺️

16 minutes ago, sisco said:

When does everyone think we’ll get some lineups released?  Waiting on Victorious myself 

Ive only just realised that none of the festivals i have tickets for (Beat-herder, Boomtown and Lost Village) have released a single act! This is surely the only time i have had all my tickets but not a single lineup. Personally cant wait for them to be slowly released so i can spend my time working through any acts i don't know. And with Boomtown not releasing their lineup till right before the Festival its likely that all my announcements may all be spread out 🙂 

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Yeah, I’m not taking it personally or anything, it’s just if it was a year ago and pre-Covid most would’ve jumped at the idea. There is a group of us that go to Glasto every year and then another group who always do 4/5 day festivals at least and load of gigs together.

I guess the fact that I’m borderline depressed at not having experienced live music for so long, I assumed more of them would feel the same!

Exactly the same as me.

My theory is a lot of my mates have holidays with partners in mind (boring, I wanna boogie ffs) as a first priority, so are wary of commiting. 

Edited by Zacko

Has anyone heard any murmurings regarding Houghton? 
They are staying silent in a sea of announcements which is slightly concerning.

My ticket has been rolled over since the 2019 festival got cancelled so I’m really hoping I get to use it at some point. I’m not sure they could survive a 3rd year cancelled.

WOMAD 2021

At WOMAD, we are exploring the options following the Government’s Road Map release and what it means for our festival. We are in conversation with our friends, partners and the authorities to help us make the best and safest decision we can regarding WOMAD 2021.

We will make a further announcement as soon as possible.

Thanks for your patience, understanding and continued support.

WOMAD have put out a statement that sounds ominous about their chances of going ahead.

Obviously they've got a relatively unique problem in that a large part (majority?) of their lineup is reliant on International travel.

I booked Deer Shed today to add to carried-over tickets for End of the Road and Green Man. The line-up looks pretty decent and compliments other things I've got booked but I was a torn about it given I'll (very likely) be attending this one on my own. Not so much the being there on my own - I've done that plenty of times and met great people, plus enjoy the freedom - but because it's so kid-focused. A few posters on here seemed to have done similar in the past and enjoyed it, so decided to go for it! I nearly went for FarmFest instead, but the line-up seems to go much further along similar lines at Deer Shed (it is a bigger capacity and extra day, after all) and FarmFest don't provide a shuttle from the nearest station, which was quite a big factor. 

I'm tempted to round the season by booking Bearded Theory too, but without a line-up that's a bit harder to judge

1 minute ago, JHad said:

I booked Deer Shed today to add to carried-over tickets for End of the Road and Green Man. The line-up looks pretty decent and compliments other things I've got booked but I was a torn about it given I'll (very likely) be attending this one on my own. Not so much the being there on my own - I've done that plenty of times and met great people, plus enjoy the freedom - but because it's so kid-focused. A few posters on here seemed to have done similar in the past and enjoyed it, so decided to go for it! I nearly went for FarmFest instead, but the line-up seems to go much further along similar lines at Deer Shed (it is a bigger capacity and extra day, after all) and FarmFest don't provide a shuttle from the nearest station, which was quite a big factor. 

I'm tempted to round the season by booking Bearded Theory too, but without a line-up that's a bit harder to judge

Bearded theory just has placebo at the moment doesn't it?

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

Bearded theory just has placebo at the moment doesn't it?

Yeah. I was on the verge of booking last spring before everything went to pot.

Patti Smith, The Flaming Lips, Primal Scream, Echo & The Bunnymen, and Toots (RIP) were the main attractions then, IIRC, so perhaps some of those might still be on the bill.