Music Festivals given go ahead from late May...

Chrisp1986

7 hours ago, xxialac said:

Yes necessarily.

I didn't say the risk wasn't low, I was saying that the risk would be lower with testing.

The risk of a terrorist attack on any day would be low even without airport security but we still have it in place.

Equating the risk of terrorist attack & airport security is in no way comparable with a viral risk. Airport security is a deterrent against the heinous acts of some.

Undoubtedly risk would be reduced further by additional actions but there comes a point when the benefit gained by an action is outweighed by the benefits of not pursuing the action.

2 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Equating the risk of terrorist attack & airport security is in no way comparable with a viral risk. Airport security is a deterrent against the heinous acts of some.

Undoubtedly risk would be reduced further by additional actions but there comes a point when the benefit gained by an action is outweighed by the benefits of not pursuing the action.

I don't really agree. An attempted terrorist attack can lead to death or it can fail. A viral outbreak also can lead to death or not. It was assessed that Cheltenham caused 40 additional people to die. Those are real people. That's not insignificant.

Security checks at airports are a hassle but they reduce the risk.

And people having to test themselves before they come to festivals in June will be a hassle but reduce the risk.

At some point, it won't be needed of course but there's an argument to have it for events when the number of people unprotected is still significant.

3 minutes ago, august1 said:

only 5 weeks since Glastonbury cancelled, crazy how the picture has changed since

Yeah. I was a bit disappointed in them for pulling the plug so early, I always felt it was worth holding out a bit longer because the situation looked like changing quickly.

But I guess the long site build puts them in a different place to other festivals, and I think in the end they'd have still cancelled particularly because the 21st June restart might get pushed back.

22 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Yeah. I was a bit disappointed in them for pulling the plug so early, I always felt it was worth holding out a bit longer because the situation looked like changing quickly.

But I guess the long site build puts them in a different place to other festivals, and I think in the end they'd have still cancelled particularly because the 21st June restart might get pushed back.

I thought they possibly could have held out until mid/end of March. I wonder how much extra money they would have burnt if  they did but it still wasn't possible to proceed then. Surely not *too* much

1 hour ago, august1 said:

only 5 weeks since Glastonbury cancelled, crazy how the picture has changed since

Been thinking the same 😞 BUT possibly it was still the right decision and would still have happened anyway. 

I still tend to think a few of these festivals will fall away at some point tbh

11 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

It makes me wonder if we have been caught up in the excitement and that the reality is that maybe everyone should just wait til next year 

Definitely torn on this one 

Oh, do give it a rest! If you want to wait another 16 months to enjoy yourself, that's up to you. But I'll be having a party in a field the second I'm allowed to!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

Oh, do give it a rest! If you want to wait another 16 months to enjoy yourself, that's up to you. But I'll be having a party in a field the second I'm allowed to!

Oh me too- even if it's the wrong thing. That said I'd have had one last year given the option so I'm definitely not a moral authority 

Edited by efcfanwirral

3 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Oh me too- even if it's the wrong thing. That said I'd have had one last year given the option so I'm definitely not a moral authority 

It won't be the wrong thing though! Life is to be enjoyed, otherwise what's the fucking point? If most people have been vaccinated & it's still not safe, then I reckon we just have to take our chances. We can't stay in lockdown forever!

3 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

It won't be the wrong thing though! Life is to be enjoyed, otherwise what's the fucking point? If most people have been vaccinated & it's still not safe, then I reckon we just have to take our chances. We can't stay in lockdown forever!

I've booked two festivals today - I'm beyond caring now. Just hope it all happens! 

1 hour ago, august1 said:

I thought they possibly could have held out until mid/end of March. I wonder how much extra money they would have burnt if  they did but it still wasn't possible to proceed then. Surely not *too* much

No way were they going to risk saying yes it would happen and put so many international ticket holders and talent at a cross roads on what to do. The start date is too close for comfort and we all know its not going to be met given who is in charge. And you would not want to be the most recognizable festival brand that gets cut off at the knees by shoddy government at the last minute. Let somebody else be the first casualty if there are any in this re opening. If we had gotten a vaccine 2 months sooner then we would be here talking about a re opening in May or so and Glasto being just barely on the safe side even if there was a push back to a re opening date. 

Edited by Suprefan

11 hours ago, xxialac said:

I don't really agree. An attempted terrorist attack can lead to death or it can fail. A viral outbreak also can lead to death or not. It was assessed that Cheltenham caused 40 additional people to die. Those are real people. That's not insignificant.

Security checks at airports are a hassle but they reduce the risk.

And people having to test themselves before they come to festivals in June will be a hassle but reduce the risk.

At some point, it won't be needed of course but there's an argument to have it for events when the number of people unprotected is still significant.

I don't agree. It's still a bad analogy and you're failing to take vaccination into proper consideration. A future Cheltenham attended by a substantially vaccinated crowd would no longer lead to 40 deaths but a failure at any time to detect a plane suicide bomber would be catastrophic. It is vaccination which mitigates the main risk, just as security does at an airport. LFT's are ancillary tools which will be difficult to justify on cost/benefit if/when the level of circulatory virus is low and the risk of acquiring it is similarly low. 

3 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Glastonbury might still be proved right if Sunak doesn't include some form of government support on Wednesday. The festivals announcing they're definitely happening this year are still taking a risk.

I agree. Here we are at the end of February, 8000+ infections daily & 300+ deaths. The vaccination programme needs to be fully implemented and deliver it's potential in a relatively short space of time otherwise mass non-socially distanced events will no be happening. Fingers crossed for our future and this summer. Sick of watching people die with incessant regularity.

15 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Glastonbury might still be proved right if Sunak doesn't include some form of government support on Wednesday. The festivals announcing they're definitely happening this year are still taking a risk.

but they're clearly accepting the risk, tho of course if the govt is going to insure them they might well take it up.

But they might not either. Having already accepted the risk they might feel the cost of insurance isn't worth it.

Oliver Jones, who runs Deershed in N Yorks, just been interviewed on 5 Live.

Said that he was surprised by the roadmap and the rapid unlocking and they were going ahead with planning for the festival.

Much like all the others.

One thing he did mention was that if the government stipulated a capacity limit then they would be able to cope with that given their numbers and layout. 

Surely any type of capacity limiting would cause a problem if imposed for festivals, especially given that most are now selling out. 

No idea at all if that is likely.

13 minutes ago, jonnyisRFC said:

Posted in another thread but it makes more sense to post here...

Is there even the slightest chance that they reconsider cancelling 2021 and holding it at the end of July? It seems all other UK festivals are now full steam ahead for this summer. 

As much as I’d love that to be the case I’d say there is absolutely no chance. Other festivals are full steam ahead because they’ve been given the theoretical go ahead, other festivals don’t really have a choice, because if they don’t happen they’re screwed so they may as well plough ahead if the government are saying that in theory, it should be fine. For Glastonbury though, things haven’t changed, they can afford to not happen, but they can’t afford to plough ahead and sink money into stuff on the basis of things theoretically being ok, and then they turn out not to be. They still need the certainty and there still isn’t certainty and there probably won’t be for a few more months. The current roadmap can’t have any slippage in at all in it for Glastonbury to be ok to go ahead.

The other aspect is that of Glastonbury moves it will likely move to a weekend of another Festival, which isn’t a very Glastonbury thing to do. 

51 minutes ago, jonnyisRFC said:

Is there even the slightest chance that they reconsider cancelling 2021 and holding it at the end of July? It seems all other UK festivals are now full steam ahead for this summer. 

Extremely slim. Glasto relies on a huge network of contractors, suppliers, food people, etc etc all of whom will be taking the first jobs around that time period that they get offered. They can't afford to be waiting around for Glastonbury to make their mind up about it unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Copperface said:

Oliver Jones, who runs Deershed in N Yorks, just been interviewed on 5 Live.

Said that he was surprised by the roadmap and the rapid unlocking and they were going ahead with planning for the festival.

Much like all the others.

One thing he did mention was that if the government stipulated a capacity limit then they would be able to cope with that given their numbers and layout. 

Surely any type of capacity limiting would cause a problem if imposed for festivals, especially given that most are now selling out. 

No idea at all if that is likely.

So would booking a ticket for a really small festival be the most sensible thing to do?

3 hours ago, kalifire said:

That's what made me want to buy tickets despite my scepticism, but I don't know if that even helps 

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

but they're clearly accepting the risk, tho of course if the govt is going to insure them they might well take it up.

But they might not either. Having already accepted the risk they might feel the cost of insurance isn't worth it.

And on that, would ticket sales alone even help these festivals if they get no cancellation cover or are they fucked without it? 

1 hour ago, Homer said:

So would booking a ticket for a really small festival be the most sensible thing to do?

110 Above is a good one with 1000 people, but the music isn't to the tastes of most glastonbury goers! 

Looking with envy at the news of UK festivals being hopeful of going ahead.

Ireland is still in level 5 lockdown. The nearest thing to relaxation of rules is extending the travel and exercise limit from 5 to 20 km.  We are told to forget about summer holidays.  I didn't manage to get a Glastonbury ticket anyway, but have rollovers from Womad and Cambridge Folk Festival which I won't be able to use.

Feeling sorry for myself....  I have had Covid, am vaccinated and ready.