Music Festivals given go ahead from late May...

Chrisp1986

8 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Didn't Fabric shut down a while back? I remember everyone being sad about it (even me, although I've not been for years!). When did it reopen?

Gutted! Really liked the look of that one, but I think it's all just moving a bit quick for us. Going to keep my eye on those one-dayers then.

There is one tiny camping festival that hasn't gone on sale yet that I have my eye on it, but imagining getting tickets will be tough!

Yeah, the security was really tight, so they had two deaths in quick succession (in separate incidents). Basically, I believe they were both really young and decided on a 'taking all my drugs before I go in' 'tactic'.

They had been reopened a while and they had started doing all day parties if that appeals more. I had a ticket to go to an all-day trance party on a Saturday at fabric that never happened. I also had tickets to one at XOYO (hard house) and there was a big all-dayer for Trade's 30th birthday on the way at The Egg too.

4 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

They had couple of drug deaths on site and got their license taken away in 2016. Then reopened but with lots of extremely restrictive drug/ID/etc checks on the door.

Yeah, I read there was CC cameras in the foyer, bouncers going into toilet cubicles (no lock) and massive, massive queus with Police alongside.

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

I normally agree with what you say but c'mon there's more Covid risk of 60,000 being congregated together than if this is not allowed or only allowed with protective measures.

That's debatable though as it massively depends on what someone is doing outside the festival.

Which is riskier - an infected person going to a 60,000 capacity festival which is entirely outdoors and therefore by definition well ventilated (even the tented venues having continuous fresh air)

Or the same infected person going on a stag weekend in say Manchester, where they're in and out of numerous packed bars and clubs which nearly all have poor ventilation and are even more tightly packed and probably have a cumulative capacity of about 60,000?

• Upvote 1

Decided to buy 110 Above tickets last night even though im not convinced by any of this. Tiny festival (1,000) with a lot of roll over tickets sold, would've been gutted if we get to August and it happens and we'd left it too late to buy. 

More chance of happening than massive ones if they go with capacity limits, and helps them survive til next year / gets me a ticket for next year if it has to move again.

Considering doing the same for Kendal Calling before it announces and sells out, though with that being a bit earlier and a bit bigger that's purely on the understanding that there's a good chance its for next year 

Edited by efcfanwirral

6 minutes ago, Homer said:

If anyone wants a quick list of some things that don't seem to be sold out, my friends and I are currently voting over a Doodle poll of:

Blue Dot
Truck
Farm Fest
Nozstock
Beautiful Days

Gahhh! I’m in a catch 22 with Bluedot, want to go but want it to move as potentially can’t go on the weekend it’s currently on. Not sure whether to risk buying the tickets now, I did notice you can still do the payment plan tho and I guess there’d possibly not be a shortage of people to sell to! Kind of hoping for a green man ticket as well

Just now, ModernMan said:

Gahhh! I’m in a catch 22 with Bluedot, want to go but want it to move as potentially can’t go on the weekend it’s currently on.

Surely if they do move it, they'll have at least a few cancellations and so tickets shouldn't be a problem if you're on the ball.

10 minutes ago, incident said:

That's debatable though as it massively depends on what someone is doing outside the festival.

Which is riskier - an infected person going to a 60,000 capacity festival which is entirely outdoors and therefore by definition well ventilated (even the tented venues having continuous fresh air)

Or the same infected person going on a stag weekend in say Manchester, where they're in and out of numerous packed bars and clubs which nearly all have poor ventilation and are even more tightly packed and probably have a cumulative capacity of about 60,000?

That wasn't what I was responding too.

Of course both of your scenarios have risks (and let's not forget that those 60,000 people are all crammed into public transport on the way there).

I'm not saying one is riskier than the other but there is a risk, it's folly to deny it.

Which is why testing can reduce that risk and will be used, presumably in the early period post-June 21 at least.

9 minutes ago, xxialac said:

That wasn't what I was responding too.

Of course both of your scenarios have risks (and let's not forget that those 60,000 people are all crammed into public transport on the way there).

I'm not saying one is riskier than the other but there is a risk, it's folly to deny it.

Which is why testing can reduce that risk and will be used, presumably in the early period post-June 21 at least.

It does sound like the everyone offered a vaccine by end of July thing is a target that can be blown out of the water, and even if it does happen then by Reading time, considering the only ones with one dose will likely be younger, surely there isn't that much of a risk? At least not much more of a risk than 2022 festivals will pose 

That said, public opinion we previously would see as sensible seems to be on the side of "this is madness" while the anti lockdown "stay in your basements hiding forever then" types are sniping at them - see the comments below this tweet 

It makes me wonder if we have been caught up in the excitement and that the reality is that maybe everyone should just wait til next year 

Definitely torn on this one 

Edited by efcfanwirral

Surely if the old and vulnerable have been vaccinated and this reduces the hospitalisations and deaths then we're happy to go as per the roadmap delivered.

Don't forgot if everything goes to plan for 21st June and we're all back working from the office etc. in London alone there will be around 2 million per day taking the tube which is just in London. If this can take place an outdoor festival can take place and be very low risk I would say. 

54 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

They had couple of drug deaths on site and got their license taken away in 2016. Then reopened but with lots of extremely restrictive drug/ID/etc checks on the door.

50 minutes ago, Homer said:

Yeah, the security was really tight, so they had two deaths in quick succession (in separate incidents). Basically, I believe they were both really young and decided on a 'taking all my drugs before I go in' 'tactic'.

They had been reopened a while and they had started doing all day parties if that appeals more. I had a ticket to go to an all-day trance party on a Saturday at fabric that never happened. I also had tickets to one at XOYO (hard house) and there was a big all-dayer for Trade's 30th birthday on the way at The Egg too.

Thanks both! Can't believe it was that long ago that it shut.

I can't really handle all-night clubbing these days, but an all-dayer does sound fun. Went to The Egg back in the day too! 

2 hours ago, xxialac said:

I normally agree with what you say but c'mon there's more Covid risk of 60,000 being congregated together than if this is not allowed or only allowed with protective measures.

Not necessarily. If we achieve 85% vaccination uptake and the virus circulatory level drops to  e.g. 10 in 100,000 infected, then the chances of an unvaccinated person attending a festival acquiring covid becomes low. 

4 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Not necessarily. If we achieve 85% vaccination uptake and the virus circulatory level drops to  e.g. 10 in 100,000 infected, then the chances of an unvaccinated person attending a festival acquiring covid becomes low. 

Yes necessarily.

I didn't say the risk wasn't low, I was saying that the risk would be lower with testing.

The risk of a terrorist attack on any day would be low even without airport security but we still have it in place.

27 minutes ago, Lycra said:

A herd immunity could only be achieved if we close borders which is unrealistic, therefore the possibility of an external party brining in a new strain from abroad, particularly to an international festival and superspreading it, is not an unrealstic one. The festival companies need cash, so are happy to take it now if people are willing to risk it dispite pending insurance questions, uncertainty around rules etc. The risk to public is that they cannot go ahead, maybe even lose their money if the festival company folds, but its one that many seem flush enough atm to take a punt on. In March 3rd we may hear what the insurance plan will be for events like these, which will give better security.

3 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

It does sound like the everyone offered a vaccine by end of July thing is a target that can be blown out of the water, and even if it does happen then by Reading time, considering the only ones with one dose will likely be younger, surely there isn't that much of a risk? At least not much more of a risk than 2022 festivals will pose 

That said, public opinion we previously would see as sensible seems to be on the side of "this is madness" while the anti lockdown "stay in your basements hiding forever then" types are sniping at them - see the comments below this tweet 

It makes me wonder if we have been caught up in the excitement and that the reality is that maybe everyone should just wait til next year 

Definitely torn on this one 

Problem is there won't be a next year for a lot of festivals/promoters, this year is a lifeline that has potentially bought them back from the brink

24 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

Problem is there won't be a next year for a lot of festivals/promoters, this year is a lifeline that has potentially bought them back from the brink

Indeed, or the vast amount of supply chain that would probably not survive, or the freelancers/self-employed who make up the majority of those who work on these events.

But there is also the cautious ones who aren't clambering to go ahead this year, protecting their business and relying on next year to go back to normal.

All it takes is for this 'roadmap' to slip 6-8 weeks and that wipes out a lot of those events that have sold out.

6 hours ago, Homer said:

If anyone wants a quick list of some things that don't seem to be sold out, my friends and I are currently voting over a Doodle poll of:

Blue Dot
Truck
Farm Fest
Nozstock
Beautiful Days

Thanks homer, I came on here to ask what still actually has tickets left and is suitable for a group of 30 something blokes?

Been scouring the Internet all afternoon and everything decent seems sold out.

Its quote the irony to have a ticket to the best festival on the world, but no access to any other festival this year 

4 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Thanks homer, I came on here to ask what still actually has tickets left and is suitable for a group of 30 something blokes?

Its quote the irony to have a ticket to the best festival on the world, but no access to any other festival this year 

Looking at what I’ve just written I started in the beers far too early today.

Just received email from Valley Fest....

Dear Valley Fest Family,

Dust off your dancing shoes and air out your tents. Valley Fest is ON!

Following the Government’s announcement, we are making plans to be back with a bang this summer. Our dates are 30th July – 1st Augustand restrictions are expected to be fully lifted as part of step 4 on the 21st June. This means that, as long as everything goes really well with the previous steps, we'll be able to go ahead as normal. Whoop whoop!

Of course, we're going to be following the UK roadmap very closely and will keep you updated as things develop. 

We're heading towards the disco ball at the end of the tunnel and we can't wait to see you there! Tickets are flying out so get them whilst you can. 

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I've beeo to any of them mate; all my mates have voted for Farmfet sadly which is my least fave choice!

43 minutes ago, Homer said:

I've beeo to any of them mate; all my mates have voted for Farmfet sadly which is my least fave choice!

I’ve been to all bar four Trucks since it started in 1998...it’s very good...the crowd is youngish/family friendly but I honestly can’t believe how many people go now.  Was 400 when I first went in 1999 now it’s about 18,000 (as of 2019)