Music Festivals given go ahead from late May...

Chrisp1986

19 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

And, that's pretty exciting, Boomtown having sold out, though I think they said they were reducing capacity a bit with the change in how they were setting up the site. Have any other 'big' festivals fully sold out yet, or it BT the first to reach that after the post-announcement scramble? 

Ben

Creamfields has.

Reading and Leeds will do today or tomorrow.

2 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

It is a younger crowd than Glastonbury definitely. I haven't been to Leeds since 2008, my last Boomtown was 2018. There was plenty of people 30+ there - me and all my group for one! 

I wouldn't let the age thing put you off. Plenty of people on here have been: @Sasperella, @Tommy101, @Sawdusty Surfer, @guypjfreak, @lucyginger, @Wellyboot and more. 

It's very much like the Shangri-la but all the time. 

In the old layout it used to have a separate family section away from the main two bodies of the festival but no one knows now as they've made it smaller and moved it all downhill for this year. It wouldn't be my first choice to take my kids, I imagine it would hard to be immersed in the festival with them. 

Boomtown goes beyond music with all the immersive theatrics, storyline and actors - I definitely would try it out once. I found people either love it or hate it. One my friends will go every year and the other won't step foot there again. They both went with me to the same festival.

You saying we're old old son lol 

48 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I clicked the reading link out of interest earlier and was placed in a queue of 5000 .. so presume that’s gone too ? 

Still Sunday Reading (LG, QOTSA) tickets left, if you fancy sitting in a virtual queue of 66,000 people for 20 minutes. Dunno about weekend tickets

32 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

First few years of Boomtown,  I was accused of being either an undercover cop or a drug dealer. 

The demographic has changed massively since the early years and now it is spread across all ages.

I preferred the early years when it had a little edge. Felt like it might just implode at any time.

Appreciate I didn’t go to the really early ones but I did 2014 & 2015 which was the 5th & 6th ones then went again in 2019 for chapter 11.

the first one felt quite edgy and there was a lot of open drug use, 2019 just felt like Reading Festival! 

People who think Glastonbury should have happened this year given the proposed lockdown lifting really know nothing about how Glastonbury works, do they? 

Personally I'm very relieved it's off for another year, I'd have felt positively nervy about being there a couple of days after a return to "normal". My brain will need to do a lot of hard work to readjust to mass participation events. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DTichborne said:

People who think Glastonbury should have happened this year given the proposed lockdown lifting really know nothing about how Glastonbury works, do they? 

Personally I'm very relieved it's off for another year, I'd have felt positively nervy about being there a couple of days after a return to "normal". My brain will need to do a lot of hard work to readjust to mass participation events. 

Yeah mine too. 

• Upvote 1

The thing is what *do* the govt require? Have they said? They need to make it very clear very quickly if anything extra is needed post june 21

having read the guidance it seems possible it would either be covid status reports (i.e vaccine passports) or tests.

probably another barrier to anything significant happening much before august as it will surely take time for them to decide and implement vaccine passports or a sensible rapid test regime. Who pays? Who checks, how is it checked.... details!

Edited by Memory Man

33 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

The thing is what *do* the govt require? Have they said? They need to make it very clear very quickly if anything extra is needed post june 21

having read the guidance it seems possible it would either be covid status reports (i.e vaccine passports) or tests.

probably another barrier to anything significant happening much before august as it will surely take time for them to decide and implement vaccine passports or a sensible rapid test regime. Who pays? Who checks, how is it checked.... details!

Would be in place by Wimbledon/euros 

I'm becoming a broken record, but there will be no restrictions or no festival.

Testing - utterly impossible to test 60000 people on entry to a music festival. To an airport? Maybe - but it will take days. A festival? Nope.

Evidence of negative testing. The logistics of all 60000 being able to get a certified test and demonstrate certification, and have that checked at the gate? Nope.

Ditto vaccination status - many of the festivals already saying they're on will be before much of the core demographic will have had the chance to be vaccinated.

I may yet be proved wrong, but just think about what it currently takes to get everyone into Glastonbury with a photo-ID ticket. Now multiply that by, what?, a lateral flow test for all 200 000 on site? No restrictions or no festival. We need to get, at least internally, like New Zealand, for them to happen. The one major difference to pre-'rona for this year might be the impact on people coming to the festivals from overseas. Which will be a shame. Love a random chat with a non-Brit!

Ben

2 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

I'm becoming a broken record, but there will be no restrictions or no festival.

Testing - utterly impossible to test 60000 people on entry to a music festival. To an airport? Maybe - but it will take days. A festival? Nope.

Evidence of negative testing. The logistics of all 60000 being able to get a certified test and demonstrate certification, and have that checked at the gate? Nope.

Ditto vaccination status - many of the festivals already saying they're on will be before much of the core demographic will have had the chance to be vaccinated.

I may yet be proved wrong, but just think about what it currently takes to get everyone into Glastonbury with a photo-ID ticket. Now multiply that by, what?, a lateral flow test for all 200 000 on site? No restrictions or no festival. We need to get, at least internally, like New Zealand, for them to happen. The one major difference to pre-'rona for this year might be the impact on people coming to the festivals from overseas. Which will be a shame. Love a random chat with a non-Brit!

Ben

I think most people expect testing (if required, not at all convinced it will be) to be within a few days before attending the festival. Then you just bring along you email confirmation of a negative test to be checked on the gate with your ticket.

I'm not convinced that will happen either, but I don't think many expect testing to happen actually on site do they?

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I think most people expect testing (if required, not at all convinced it will be) to be within a few days before attending the festival. Then you just bring along you email confirmation of a negative test to be checked on the gate with your ticket.

I'm not convinced that will happen either, but I don't think many expect testing to happen actually on site do they?

Yeah, I guess you may be correct - I heard a discussion yesterday about a possible triple-whammy passport whereby you demonstrate either vaccination or negative test and/or certificate of exemption from vaccination (underlying contraindication etc.).

I guess it's possible, I just think that for the super-mass events it might just be an unmanageable step, logistically.

But what the hell do I (any of us!) know?!

Ben
😆

4 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

So what happens if a test still costs the same as it did last summer (£100-odd wasn't it?). This is why I'm def not booking a foreign hol any time soon!

1 minute ago, Homer said:

This is a nightmare. Organising our group is an absolute nightmare. Unfortunately we all agree (just about) on Glasto and Shindig - neither of which is happening.

I reckon Blue Dot looks the best bet... but we all live in the south.

After all of this, who is gonna baulk at traveling to a weekend of partying???!

Ben