Music Festivals given go ahead from late May...

Chrisp1986

So, also got tickets for BigFoot, on the buy now, pay later premise. Torn between worried I've been stung (they may make it go ahead and force us to pay, without cancelling?) and willing them on.

On their site, they use the line 'Bigfoot is a boutique, outdoor festival on a very big site.  The site was booked with the future expansion of Bigfoot in mind so there’s space for thousands more people than we will have for in 2021.  '

How likely is it that their capacity is meant to be over 4,000 with the line-up they have? All looks v corporate sponsored, perhaps they can withstand a small loss to have the publicity of being one of the first to go ahead..

They may be banking on the government moving to non-obligatory social distancing from Mid-May, which has been touted a bit this morning with 'the return of hugging'... and which would effectively mean they wouldn't have to do much. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/hugging-lockdown-roadmap-may-matt-hancock-b1806030.html

On @eFestivals suggestion: it might be a bit late for trials as they wouldn't have much time to feed in before guidance etc goes live...

2 minutes ago, Hags said:

So, also got tickets for BigFoot, on the buy now, pay later premise. Torn between worried I've been stung (they may make it go ahead and force us to pay, without cancelling?) and willing them on.

On their site, they use the line 'Bigfoot is a boutique, outdoor festival on a very big site.  The site was booked with the future expansion of Bigfoot in mind so there’s space for thousands more people than we will have for in 2021.  '

How likely is it that their capacity is meant to be over 4,000 with the line-up they have? All looks v corporate sponsored, perhaps they can withstand a small loss to have the publicity of being one of the first to go ahead..

They may be banking on the government moving to non-obligatory social distancing from Mid-May, which has been touted a bit this morning with 'the return of hugging'... and which would effectively mean they wouldn't have to do much. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/hugging-lockdown-roadmap-may-matt-hancock-b1806030.html

On @eFestivals suggestion: it might be a bit late for trials as they wouldn't have much time to feed in before guidance etc goes live...

It was originally planned to be 7,000 capacity. 

We all bought tickets without much hope at all but rather as something to look forward too! If it goes ahead in some format ill be happy knowing that the next festival ill go to will be absolute chaos. BigFoot will effectively be my warm up 🙂 

5 hours ago, TheFullShaboo said:

The problem is many potential punters wont realise this from the messages BigFoot are releasing. 

They actually posted 'What great news yesterday' in response to the roadmap which effectively all but cancelled the festival. This predatory messaging shouldn't be allowed as i imagine a few people will have booked without realising theres a very small chance the festival can actually go ahead as initially planned. 

To be honest i love their festival concept (havent bought) but their shoddy messaging is letting them down. How much does honesty cost? Nothing. 
As benny commented above there is literally no such thing as a socially distanced music festival

1 hour ago, dotdash79 said:

Bluedot have send out a survey asking a load of questions about what would make you feel confident about attending , and interestingly asking around alternative dates that I would be able to attend. 

Interesting. I really want to go, but unless is shifts dates I probably can’t! Tempted to buy a ticket and see what happens. Can you remember what the alternative dates were?

Edited by ModernMan

35 minutes ago, ModernMan said:

Interesting. I really want to go, but unless is shifts dates I probably can’t! Tempted to buy a ticket and see what happens. Can you remember what the alternative dates were?

The weekend that it’s currently it then every weekend up to and including the August weekend 

you can take the survey if you want https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/VDHP9PM

I don’t get these news articles saying certain festivals are going ahead. I’ve had mates send me both Sky and Times articles stating R&L are going ahead, like it’s completely matter of fact and breaking news like a certain celebratory has died, or a football team have won a league.

I mean don’t get me wrong, I really hope they’re right but it’s far from certain surely?

9 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I don’t get these news articles saying certain festivals are going ahead. I’ve had mates send me both Sky and Times articles stating R&L are going ahead, like it’s completely matter of fact and breaking news like a certain celebratory has died, or a football team have won a league.

I mean don’t get me wrong, I really hope they’re right but it’s far from certain surely?

The more these headlines and announcements happen the less likely a populist government are to ruin those plans after getting people’s hopes up. 

Yep, music festival confirms its intention to go ahead is not news!

Educated guess though on my part is that Festival Republic, being huge, probably have access to the kind of corporate finance other independent events wouldnt have and therefore FR may not need to rely on any government backed insurance schemes? (Not that any are likely to come to fruition)

14 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

They actually give it out on buses in Oxford these days! 

I used to work for the company who owns the Metro (we don't speak their name around here) and for a few months I actually shared office space with the Metro writing team... laziest bunch of hacks I've ever seen. Just spent all their time watching BBC News and writing down what they've seen!

8 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I used to work for the company who owns the Metro (we don't speak their name around here) and for a few months I actually shared office space with the Metro writing team... laziest bunch of hacks I've ever seen. Just spent all their time watching BBC News and writing down what they've seen!

Interesting!  I could do that from home! 

We're looking at festivals as a group, but there's so many other cancelled plans from last year that haven't yet announced new dates, so we're slightly stuck in limbo really!

El Dorado looks like a fun vibe but it would clash with St Pauls Carnival if that was on. Anyone have any idea whether stuff like carnivals will happen? 100k people in the streets of Bristol seems unlikely to me as you wouldn't be able to test anyone, right? 

Otherwise Boomtown, Lost Village, and Wilderness are all shouts. Personally I wanted to go abroad for Love International, but understandably some of the group are apprehensive because of international travel potentially being off the cards.

The paralysis of choice!