Music Festivals given go ahead from late May...

Chrisp1986

18 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

i'm sure someone who claimed to be well informed said there'd be none of that only big big caution.

I’ve been told very firmly that I was in cloud cuckoo land when I said I had hope for some festivals this year! 

38 minutes ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Do you think Glasto could have gone ahead had this been known or distancing too much for the build?

Had they known then, what we know now, yes it could have gone ahead. But at the time the decision was made, there was still too much uncertainty and a decision had to be made then. It may seem like in hindsight they made the wrong choice, but it would have been too big a gamble for them to take.

32 minutes ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Do you think Glasto could have gone ahead had this been known or distancing too much for the build?

Even with today announcement there are many uncertainties and unknowns. The roadmap is couched in hitting targets and "no earlier than" dates. Personally I don't believe it gives any organisers an incentive to gamble the future of their festival by planning & building an event close to 21 June.

45 minutes ago, Chrisp1986 said:

They might have been able to pull something together but I bet it would still be heavy caveated and not as good.

Big issue could be the rest of Europe not being ready in time so no real festival season for the US acts to come over for.

Edited by Hugh Jass

From the roadmap

132. DCMS and the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy have been
working with representatives from industry and civil society to explore when and how
events with larger crowd sizes, less social distancing or in settings where
transmission is more likely (i.e. indoors), will be able to return safely. This includes
sports events, music festivals and large weddings and conferences.

133. Over the spring the Government will run a scientific Events Research Programme.
This will include a series of pilots using enhanced testing approaches and other
measures to run events with larger crowd sizes and reduced social distancing to
evaluate the outcomes. The pilots will start in April.

134. The Government will bring the findings from across different sectors and different
settings to determine a consistent approach to lifting restrictions on these events.
Depending on the outcome of this work, the Government hopes to be able to lift
restrictions on these events and sectors as part of Step 4.

37 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Even with today announcement there are many uncertainties and unknowns. The roadmap is couched in hitting targets and "no earlier than" dates. Personally I don't believe it gives any organisers an incentive to gamble the future of their festival by planning & building an event close to 21 June.

Good points.

How long do we think is the extra amount of leeway for festivals to conclude it's worth the gamble?

September? August? Too risky so next year? 

14 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Good points.

How long do we think is the extra amount of leeway for festivals to conclude it's worth the gamble?

A lot will depend on the size of the festival. I think smaller fests in august will go ahead. BST in July still risky.

17 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Good points.

It all depends on the money.

Specifically, insurance and their own financial situation.

There's plenty of speculation that for quite a few independent festivals if they don't run this year are going to be effectively done forever. I think pretty much any of those scheduled for July onwards will have no choice but to press ahead - better to take the risk if they're going to collapse in a pile of debt even if they don't.

For the festivals that can viably push it to next year, then it's going to be more about whether they can get some form of cancellation insurance.

My guess is that most festivals from mid-July onwards do go ahead.