Your favourite Glastonbury 2015 to 2019

Mr.Tease

Favourite Glastonbury 2015-2019  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Which was your favourite Glastonbury 2015-2019

2019 was perfect for me, it was the only year of the 4 options where I didn’t wake up with the Sunday morning feeling that my body couldn’t take any more. 
That Sunday in 2019 - whether it was the heat forcing me to drink more water than alcohol, the Quechua tent allowing me 2hrs more sleep per day, or that our group of 20 was down to 6 & we tended to keep together more than being constantly split, good choices (never intended seeing Lizzo but stayed near the front after Slothai - didn’t feel comfortable at the front of The Streets so met up with the gang for The Cure) 2019 was the only year apart from the early 90’s where I felt I could do the whole week again. 

17 for me.
I didn’t go in 15 and 16. 

17 was perfect - weather amazing, had so much fun. Came at a great time for me and Mrs Blutarsky, it was exactly what we needed with other stuff that had happened at home in the year or two leading up to it. 

19 was incredible but I had to work to get there, so saw fewer artists and spent more time than I’d have liked washing dishes in hospitality. It did have one of the best runs in a night I’ve done though:

A bit of the Killers at the pyramid -> used hospitality cut through to emerge into the centre of the crowd as Chems dropped hey boy -> FBS Eats everything at Arcadia from the Tow & Hitch viewing platform -> Larry Heard at iicon-> Henge somewhere in SEC then assorted small SEC venues, finishing at 7am at Genosys. 

17 for me, I did miss 19 unfortunately, it looked great on BBC

17 had top weather, I had a really solid group with me and it was just awesome from start to finish. Highlight for me was the killers in john peel, up there with my favourite ever festival performances. Can't wait to get back there next year after a brutal 5 year break

2 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Apart from the Wednesday (both years, IIRC). Open fields were largely empty as everyone stayed put in the shade, it was so hot.

As someone who chipped up on the Thursday morning both years I can't point to experience, but I'd definitely take it over mud and rain. Saturday 2019 was just glorious.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

As someone who chipped up on the Thursday morning both years I can't point to experience, but I'd definitely take it over mud and rain. Saturday 2019 was just glorious.

Absolutely. Thursday onwards was just about perfect.

I've never been to a properly wet Glasto. 2014 was the worst I've experienced, but it was no 2016.

Since '08, I've been to every festival except for '10 and it's going to sound strange but I've never had the "perfect" Glastonbury. I'm not totally sure that it exists but you can get close. For me, there are so many factors that contribute to it: weather, company, mood, mental state, music, sobriety, planning, choice and/or quality of intoxicants, clothing, camping spot, etc. Even decisions made throughout the week like time of arrival, where to park, which gate to enter through, which areas to spend the night can have an impact. It's a lot of pressure. I don't think it's entirely healthy that I spent 364 days focussing hard on the build-up. I'm going to try, the next time I get a ticket, to take a more relaxed approach, see how that turns out. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Since '08, I've been to every festival except for '10 and it's going to sound strange but I've never had the "perfect" Glastonbury. I'm not totally sure that it exists but you can get close. For me, there are so many factors that contribute to it: weather, company, mood, mental state, music, sobriety, planning, choice and/or quality of intoxicants, clothing, camping spot, etc. Even decisions made throughout the week like time of arrival, where to park, which gate to enter through, which areas to spend the night can have an impact. It's a lot of pressure. I don't think it's entirely healthy that I spent 364 days focussing hard on the build-up. I'm going to try, the next time I get a ticket, to take a more relaxed approach, see how that turns out. 

I guess all those different combinations of different elements is what makes each festival so different- now that you list them, no wonder it's so hard to have a 'perfect' festival! 

I think the last few years I've definitely eased off on the pressure I used to put on myself to 'make the most of it'- OD-ing on these threads before hand does not help!😂 I've usually enjoyed it more the more I just try and go with the flow and trust my feet  (and ears) will find where I need to be, and not try to be rigid or re-create a previous festival, or do x, y and z- Though every year it takes me most of the festival to re-learn that lesson!

Worst of both worlds, for me, is to have a big list of intent but then go about it half-arsed, so all I end up doing is arriving at sets too late and staying too far from the stage, and walking away from things I've randomly found but am enjoying too early (so I don't miss what I had intended to see), and ending the day not having experienced much at all, yet not having had the freedom of just exploring!

2 hours ago, blutarsky said:

17 for me.
I didn’t go in 15 and 16. 

17 was perfect - weather amazing, had so much fun. Came at a great time for me and Mrs Blutarsky, it was exactly what we needed with other stuff that had happened at home in the year or two leading up to it. 

19 was incredible but I had to work to get there, so saw fewer artists and spent more time than I’d have liked washing dishes in hospitality. It did have one of the best runs in a night I’ve done though:

A bit of the Killers at the pyramid -> used hospitality cut through to emerge into the centre of the crowd as Chems dropped hey boy -> FBS Eats everything at Arcadia from the Tow & Hitch viewing platform -> Larry Heard at iicon-> Henge somewhere in SEC then assorted small SEC venues, finishing at 7am at Genosys. 

It's great when you somehow string together a series of wins, almost without trying- you keep thinking 'wow that was a great way to end the evening' then find/stumble on something even better (or it finds you)

21 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Not much love for 2015- is it considered a bit of a stinker (and if so why?) or is it just that a lot of people posting didn't go to that one?

Mixed bag weather so it doesn't stick in the mind so much?  No real classic Pyramid headline sets (only classic sets on the big one would be Lionel, Patti Smith and Mary J Blige)?

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Mixed bag weather so it doesn't stick in the mind so much?  No real classic Pyramid headline sets (only classic sets on the big one would be Lionel, Patti Smith and Mary J Blige)?

I've assumed all this time that is was just me/personal circumstances that made it not very memorable, so it's interesting to learn that to actually wasn't that memorable for a lot of people!

All I remember really was I enjoyed the Saturday west holts headliner (George Clinton etc) and then the Avalon headliner, I kept bumping into John Fairhurst performing on small stages, hanging around the newly relocated Strummerville, Patti Smith and the Dalai Lama on the Pyramid on Sunday, then that night the headliner I saw was Ryan Adams on the park stage and all I remember about that was that my feet were damp! That's it!

I was only at '16 and '17 of those four and I think '17 just pipped it.

Yes, 16 was bogged down a bit by the weather, but I also love having those memories of the mud. The moments of hilarity when a boot gets suctioned off; drunkenly watching people falling, staggering and struggling to get back up and repeat; the sheer joy of finding a patch of grass to sit on. Weirdly, my memories of Thursday night seem to feature very little mud - I just remember glorious sunshine. That was probably the best night of '16, although did love the Adele and Coldplay headline sets. 

'17 wins I think purely based on company. Loved the friends I was there with in '16 but they were almost all there again in '17 but with even more of us. The weather was obviously a massive improvement. I think The Killers at John Peel was the highlight musically but weirdly few of my memories of that festival are of the acts on stage.

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I went to 2015!!! I really enjoyed it. Although I can’t remember much about it. I remember hearing Miles Kane playing his guitar in the campsite, opposite. I’m supposing they told him to stop. I was wondering how he got away with it.

I recall listening to Kanye West in my tent. Despite everyone’s criticism, I really enjoyed the show.

I also remember that The Who were really good.🍸🍿🎂🤩

33 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

It's great when you somehow string together a series of wins, almost without trying- you keep thinking 'wow that was a great way to end the evening' then find/stumble on something even better (or it finds you)

It’s not often you get a moment that seems incredible, then find another, then another high and another. Only at the G..! 

2019 just. Weather was too hot but for me better than the wet mud of 2016.

Gang of friends made it fab in '19, '17 had the best weather. Music all round was good, 2015 great apart from headliners who I rarely watch anyway.

Been privileged to go to all of them.

Edited by hfuhruhurr

6 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

Not much love for 2015- is it considered a bit of a stinker (and if so why?) or is it just that a lot of people posting didn't go to that one?

Its my favourite of the 3 I went to.  Patti Smith, The Libertines, Steel Pulse, Frank Turner in Strummerville and both Alabama 3 and Public Service Broadcasting in the Glade.

3 hours ago, tjamest said:

Its my favourite of the 3 I went to.  Patti Smith, The Libertines, Steel Pulse, Frank Turner in Strummerville and both Alabama 3 and Public Service Broadcasting in the Glade.

Alabama 3 were great in 2015- I'd forgotten about them! Thanks for the reminder, one of my favourite sets of the weekend

2015 was my second year, I remember the weather being pretty good, had a great group of friends there and it was brilliant, musically though I don’t think it was my favourite. I went for 2016 as it’s the one I remember being the most impactful. It’s the year I spent the most amount of time alone, but met a load of cool folks and the mud and Brexit really seemed to bring everyone together. 2017 was a good one in many ways but it was my girlfriends first and I put way too much pressure on her to enjoy it the way I do, so it didn’t quite go to plan. 2019 was great, I struggled with the heat on the Saturday but it was a very good year. I would take any of them again in a heartbeat though, anything to get into those fields!

On 2/20/2021 at 6:50 PM, Avalon_Fields said:

2019. Simply, everything was perfect for me. I spent more time on the festival site than ever before and still didn’t want to leave at the end.

2019 a well. From start to finish everything was perfect, 7 days a heaven away from everything. Was going without Mrs Q, as she did not get a ticket so not so great but had loads of bands to see down with mates working and food to look forward too.

Sadly a friend broke his leg and on the other 3 toes so could not come along so Mrs Q was able to come and work. she came on the Tuesday so saw the site before everyone else is in, which was great, and around the bars that night which we don't do together as she is never in early. We just managed everything wonderfully. Had  stacked itinerary, with the added bands Mrs Q wanted to see and timed them all so well, getting there to nearly all of them in plenty of time to get a drink and get a good spot, instead of stumbling in part way through sets. Not sure we saw a bad set.

By the end we said the following year we would stay on a week and help clear up (Sadly never to be) 

Only down side was the woman who got the other spare ticket. Just moaned all the time we were there, apart from bragging about how she skived off the work we have to do. Never really saw a band or ventured very far apart from to the bar , where she knew people from the pub she goes to would be, and moaned about that.  most odd. Still didn't have to see her much at all 🙂