Disco Doesn't Sucks

CaledonianGonzo

Give that it's everywhere at the moment and is now The New Hype That's Dominating Lockdown, here's a genre-specific thread for all things Disco old and new - either Glastonbury-related or otherwise.

No opinion on the SG lewis album yet, but here's one to kick us off  straight out of Edinburgh

• Like 2

SG is the absolute tits, been following him since Warm came out and he's the real deal. Proper multi instrumentalist stuff, and the stuff he produces for others is top notch as well (think he produced Hallucinate for Dua).

Looking forward to chucking Time on this afternoon!

Probably a lock in for Glasto next year I'd imagine too. Not sure where he'd play, maybe WH or the Other Stage in the daytime?

6 minutes ago, Zacko said:

SG is the absolute tits, been following him since Warm came out and he's the real deal. Proper multi instrumentalist stuff, and the stuff he produces for others is top notch as well (think he produced Hallucinate for Dua).

Probably a lock in for Glasto next year I'd imagine too. Not sure where he'd play, maybe WH or the Other Stage in the daytime?

Does feel like it's something I could dance to at any time of day. Some stuff does feel more suited to a late night set, but can see me trying to groove like a drunken octopus to this on a sunny afternoon.

50 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

As an aside: There's a fascinating history about disco and the whole disco sucks era and disco demolition night.

This podcast goes into it. 

The new Bee Gees documentary understandably also goes into it - but the film itself is wonderful and a must see for anyone into this sort of stuff.

26 minutes ago, Quark said:

Does feel like it's something I could dance to at any time of day. Some stuff does feel more suited to a late night set, but can see me trying to groove like a drunken octopus to this on a sunny afternoon.

Agreed. I do like a day boogie with a couple of bevs - chuck him somewhere at 4pm and lets have a lovely bloody time!

2 hours ago, Zacko said:

Agreed. I do like a day boogie with a couple of bevs - chuck him somewhere at 4pm and lets have a lovely bloody time!

Although not all disco, Carl Cox's 4 hour 2019 Glade set was utter perfection for exactly this reason.

Speaking of which, I heard a rumour this was recorded to be released. Has anyone heard anything?

3 hours ago, Zacko said:

Sonic or Glade for him surely?

This album is my introduction to him (other than all the stuff he’s produced that I’ve no doubt heard) and it’s good good stuff. Definitely the kind of stuff that’s made for daytime at a festival when the drinks are just starting to hit. Sitting here in my flat listening to him just isn’t doing the music justice.

29 minutes ago, Dom Wall said:

Although not all disco, Carl Cox's 4 hour 2019 Glade set was utter perfection for exactly this reason.

Speaking of which, I heard a rumour this was recorded to be released. Has anyone heard anything?

Dunno about the Glade, but here is his 2019 Rabbit Hole set.

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/YXxxQSakqrQXs4yc8

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Dom Wall said:

I so wanted to be at the majority of that, but it was so damn hot that day and my friends just started dropping like flies in and outside the tent. Think we made it about 20 minutes before they demanded we leave for the search of shade and water. 

30 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Sonic or Glade for him surely?

This album is my introduction to him (other than all the stuff he’s produced that I’ve no doubt heard) and it’s good good stuff. Definitely the kind of stuff that’s made for daytime at a festival when the drinks are just starting to hit. Sitting here in my flat listening to him just isn’t doing the music justice.

Yeah probably more likely to be fair! And then a DJ set somewhere late night too. 

Between him, Jessie Ware and Dua we're in for a right treat disco revival wise. And that's before we even get onto Diana ❤️