Marvel shows & spoilers

FloorFiller

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Black Widow has been pushed back to July 9 and is being released simultaneously in cinemas and on Disney+ for an additional fee. Guess they realised they just couldn’t delay any further what with Eternals coming in November and Spider Man coming in December so had to go ahead with the partial Disney+ thing for those unable to visit cinemas.

Shang Chi pushed back to September 3.

Makes you wonder if there is something in BW that means it absolutely has to air before any of the other films come out.

Im sure itll make some money in theaters because people think that $30 usd is way too much for vod which is stupid. Here it costs that just for tickets and even more with Imax or 3d. Nobody likes to do math and theres enough people who likely upgraded their tv’s and home theaters this whole time.

efit:

edit

Edited by Suprefan

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Makes you wonder if there is something in BW that means it absolutely has to air before any of the other films come out.

Usually the case with Marvel films, even if it is only a little something or a mid credits scene. I’m sure it’s no accident that her solo film is coming after she’s already died in the main story. Always suspected something’s afoot there rather than them just being late with her solo outing.

Glad it’s finally coming one way or another. I was really surprised they didn’t just release it at Christmas for £20 vod. With everyone locked down and starved for entertainment, you’d think that would be a licence to print money. 

This is arguably the most interested I’ve been in a MCU film, largely because it seems like 10 years too late to be doing it and it’s about a dead character, which makes me think suuuurely there’s more to this than meets the eye?

Edited by jparx

12 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Im sure itll make some money in theaters because people think that $30 usd is way too much for vod which is stupid. Here it costs that just for tickets and even more with Imax or 3d. Nobody likes to do math and theres enough people who likely upgraded their tv’s and home theaters this whole time.

efit:

edit

Interesting point raised about paying cinema prices to watch films at home. I can see both sides of the argument, on one hand you’ve got all your home comforts, can watch when and how you want on your own system. On the other hand going to the cinema feels like an event or a treat, and sometimes you just can’t beat seeing a film in a cinema on a massive screen.

Unless it was something I was absolutely desperate to see I don’t think I’d pay the 15-20 quid to watch straight away. I’d prefer badly just wait a few months till it was a fiver on regular PPV.

19 minutes ago, jparx said:

Glad it’s finally coming one way or another. I was really surprised they didn’t just release it at Christmas for £20 vod. With everyone locked down and starved for entertainment, you’d think that would be a licence to print money. 

This is arguably the most interested I’ve been in a MCU film, largely because it seems like 10 years too late to be doing it and it’s about a dead character, which makes me think suuuurely there’s more to this than meets the eye?

Dunno. Part of me thinks the popularity took them by surprise, but with her being such a key part of the Cap movies as well as Avengers that they couldn't squeeze it in sooner. Missed the boat a bit, but determined to make it happen.

47 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Florence Pugh has filmed on set of the Hawkeye TV show which is due the end of the year, so I imagine that's partially to do with it. 

I just hope everything else doesn't keep getting pushed, looking forward to Shang Chi.

12 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Is it stupid? When you are going to the cinema you are clearly paying for a trip out with all the overheads that come with it, paying for VOD you are giving them that money just to so you can see it early before they release it as part of your subscription for the exact same experience.

When I was younger and went to the cinema a lot I had a cinema pass, the current price of that is £18.40 a month so less than Disney's £20 for a month's worth of films. £20 is a huge price and poor Mulan streaming figures back that up.

Them putting it straight on to streaming just begs for it to be pirated instantly, and I’m sure many people in the know about that kind of stuff will choose to do that instead of forking out £20/30/whatever it is. 

Although clearly they didn’t want to go down this route and postponed it as long as they could so hard to be angry at Disney for doing it. This was supposed to be another of their ginormous cinema ready money makers so they were hardly gonna give it away for free.

25 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Them putting it straight on to streaming just begs for it to be pirated instantly, and I’m sure many people in the know about that kind of stuff will choose to do that instead of forking out £20/30/whatever it is. 

Although clearly they didn’t want to go down this route and postponed it as long as they could so hard to be angry at Disney for doing it. This was supposed to be another of their ginormous cinema ready money makers so they were hardly gonna give it away for free.

On a related note I read recently that MGM had been hawking No Time To Die around the various streaming giants (Netflix, Amazon, etc) but nobody was prepared to pay the £800m they wanted.

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

On a related note I read recently that MGM had been hawking No Time To Die around the various streaming giants (Netflix, Amazon, etc) but nobody was prepared to pay the £800m they wanted.

And thank god for that! A Marvel film with little expectation surrounding it going to streaming is one thing, but watching a new Bond film on streaming just wouldn’t have felt right. I mean, it might end up being shit, but I’d rather find that out in the cinema at a later date.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

I've had an inkling for awhile that Apple (or maybe Amazon) will buy MGM outright at some point. I know they're up for sale for about $5bn, but their back catalogue has some money spinners (Bond, Rocky etc). Could be a decent purchase for the Bond catalogue alone.

(Assuming the Bond catalogue would come as part of the deal).

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

To be honest it's not like I wasn't going to renew anyway but annoyed at myself for not doing earlier when it was cheaper.

I think £60 is the lower price? For existing customers the higher price £79.99 only applies for renewals after 23rd August, if this is to be believed: https://whatsondisneyplus.com/how-to-avoid-the-disney-price-rise-in-the-uk-australia-new-zealand-canada/

48 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

I think £60 is the lower price? For existing customers the higher price £79.99 only applies for renewals after 23rd August, if this is to be believed: https://whatsondisneyplus.com/how-to-avoid-the-disney-price-rise-in-the-uk-australia-new-zealand-canada/

Thought I saw it for £50 recently, although I may have imagined it.

Watched the 4 hour Justice League yesterday. Found Aquaman, Batman and superman to all be really dull uninteresting characters. Thought the sound track was really weird and didn't fit very well at all. The first 2 hours were much better than the second 2 hours and the last 30 minutes especially seemed completely pointless. There was also way too much slow motion and Flash has clearly only been put in for some Marvel-esque comic relief. Long story short the film was okay at the start but trailed off as it went on. It's current rating on IMDB of 8.3 (the 126th best film of all time) seems massively inflated and I expect over time it will start to drop off

On a Marvel note I'm really looking forward to Shang Chi and I've seen absolutely nothing about the eternals so I'm surprised it's out this year

16 hours ago, steviewevie said:

I don#t belong here....but just saying that I am watching all the marvel films on Disney+ at moment with my kid...have now watched all the phase 1 films with a little diversion to netflix for a hulk one. I don't know what is going on, except that there's some blue stuff that seems important.

Once you get into phase 2 (particularly Winter Soldier onwards) It seems to move up a gear and just gets better and better from that point ❤️ 

Edited by Zacko

1 hour ago, Zacko said:

Once you get into phase 2 (particularly Winter Soldier onwards) It seems to move up a gear and just gets better and better from that point ❤️ 

Absolutely!

It's funny - when the MCU kicked off I really wasn't a fan of the movies, and I particularly always thought Captain America, and the casting of Chris Evans seemed incredibly lame. I came to it a bit later after being interested in stuff like Guardians where it seemed they were taking more risks for the superhero genre and using more interesting source material. But now I'm fully engrossed in the MCU it's actually the Captain America films that stand out to me as easily my favourite series of movies in the catalogue. They're obviously not a trilogy in the strictest sense, but I'd rate the three Cap films as one of the best trio of movies of all time honestly, and his character arc across the MCU is absolutely phenomenal.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, jparx said:

Absolutely!

It's funny - when the MCU kicked off I really wasn't a fan of the movies, and I particularly always thought Captain America, and the casting of Chris Evans seemed incredibly lame. I came to it a bit later after being interested in stuff like Guardians where it seemed they were taking more risks for the superhero genre and using more interesting source material. But now I'm fully engrossed in the MCU it's actually the Captain America films that stand out to me as easily my favourite series of movies in the catalogue. They're obviously not a trilogy in the strictest sense, but I'd rate the three Cap films as one of the best trio of movies of all time honestly, and his character arc across the MCU is absolutely phenomenal.

Definitely agreed! It's what makes his "moments" in Endgame SO good. They're earned and they feel right because of the character development we see in his trilogy. 

I remember Endgame in the cinema. Never seen a reaction like it before, hundreds of us literally cheering at the end battle. 

It's why DC are lacking I think. As much as I enjoyed JL, the big moments weren't earned.

1 minute ago, Zacko said:

Definitely agreed! It's what makes his "moments" in Endgame SO good. They're earned and they feel right because of the character development we see in his trilogy. 

I remember Endgame in the cinema. Never seen a reaction like it before, hundreds of us literally cheering at the end battle. 

It's why DC are lacking I think. As much as I enjoyed JL, the big moments weren't earned.

The Hammer moment in Endgame is the best moment in the entire MCU.

• Upvote 1