Marvel shows & spoilers

FloorFiller

41 minutes ago, jparx said:

Very stoked for Falcon tomorrow, which we’ll be watching back to back with Taskmaster on catch-up for the next month or two! It’s massive having something to look forward each Friday at the minute.

It means waiting, but we've really enjoyed having WandaVision as Sunday evening viewing to round the weekend off. F&WS will be filling the same slot 🙂

My last meeting finishes at 2pm tomorrow, will be putting it on straight after. Really looking forward to it, loved both of their characters in the Cap films so keeping everything crossed it does them justice. 

Edited by SwedgeAntilles

1 hour ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

My last meeting finishes at 2pm tomorrow, will be putting it on straight after. Really looking forward to it, loved both of their characters in the Cap films so keeping everything crossed it does them justice. 

Love a good buddy cop movie

Just smashed out the Snyder Cut in a couple of sittings.

It’s an hour too long imo as the first two or so hours are just the team being assembled with not much else exciting really going on, but the second half was pretty enjoyable and from what I can remember of the Whedon cut, this one holds together much better. You really notice all the important plot points that Whedon scrapped in order to cut this script down to a lean two hours. Characters actually have a purpose now rather than just doing a thing so the next thing can happen.

It’s still full of the problems that the DCU has been filled with from the get-go, and ultimately it’s still a rushed effort to catch up with and compete with the MCU without the charm, but not quite the total waste of 4 hours I was expecting.

13 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

It’s an hour too long imo as the first two or so hours are just the team being assembled with not much else exciting really going on, but the second half was pretty enjoyable and from what I can remember of the Whedon cut, this one holds together much better. You really notice all the important plot points that Whedon scrapped in order to cut this script down to a lean two hours. Characters actually have a purpose now rather than just doing a thing so the next thing can happen.

It’s still full of the problems that the DCU has been filled with from the get-go, and ultimately it’s still a rushed effort to catch up with and compete with the MCU without the charm, but not quite the total waste of 4 hours I was expecting.

tenor.gif

7 hours ago, jump said:

Funny thing is I refused to watch The Irishman even with all of it's accliam and also being from proabably the greatest living director in the world Martin Scorsee as it looked like was unnecessarly long, but I'm planning on watching the even longer Synder Cut which I fully expect to be shit.

The Irishman was shite though.

Any other director and it would have been panned.

For me Wandavision really fell at the last hurdle which ultimately made the episodes and entire concept leading up to it feel cheaper, so I’m personally looking forward to this as I think it’ll fall more in line with the traditional MCU formula and hopefully/maybe we’ll get some nice fan service along the way. Not gonna hold my breath for any major cameos or anything, but I’m a sucker for Marvel’s brand of big dumb action and this looks like it’s gonna deliver the goods on that front. 

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

I've got an hour and 45 left, did the first chunk earlier then paused for United and I'm back on it now.

To my total surprise, I'm actually really enjoying it. It's not MCU level and the CGI is off, but character motivations actually make sense now and I'm also not confused at seemingly random things just happening with no explanation.

Really does show how much Whedon completely butchered his version. His cut was maybe a 5, I'm giving this a 6.5 or a 7. 

I rate Affleck as Batman as well. His portrayal is the one that makes me believe Batman could rip someone to pieces. 

This does beg the question as to why Snyder originally decided to write a 4 hour long film thinking it'll get made and released as he intended. Pretty sure if Whedon was given 4 hours to make a JL film rather than cutting and reshooting a 4 hour film down to 2 hours it'd be decent, he did do The Avengers after all. 

Hard to believe this is his original vision given all the reshoots etc, and that he hasn't just pandered to the fan's reaction to Whedon's version.

2 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Hard to believe this is his original vision given all the reshoots etc, and that he hasn't just pandered to the fan's reaction to Whedon's version.

Yeah he’s been in a very unique position where he’s already seen the backlash/complains from the fans and so been able to edit or cut out scenes that were initially not well received. Definitely think there would’ve been a bit of extra bloat and a dodgy line here and there if Whedon’s version hadn’t come first.

35 minutes ago, Zacko said:

I rate Affleck as Batman as well. His portrayal is the one that makes me believe Batman could rip someone to pieces. 

Yeah Affleck is great here and it’s especially nice to see him not looking all sad and bloated like he was for Whedons reshoots amidst his slip back in to alcoholism. Seems like he actually wants to be here this time.

I do wonder if the (somewhat) positive  reception to this will spur on the sequel that never was. Not sure if Affleck would be down to return, but I suppose he did reshoots for this so never say never. The ending certainly opens the door for a part two.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah he’s been in a very unique position where he’s already seen the backlash/complains from the fans and so been able to edit or cut out scenes that were initially not well received. Definitely think there would’ve been a bit of extra bloat and a dodgy line here and there if Whedon’s version hadn’t come first.

Yeah Affleck is great here and it’s especially nice to see him not looking all sad and bloated like he was for Whedons reshoots amidst his slip back in to alcoholism. Seems like he actually wants to be here this time.

I do wonder if the (somewhat) positive  reception to this will spur on the sequel that never was. Not sure if Affleck would be down to return, but I suppose he did reshoots for this so never say never. The ending certainly opens the door for a part two.

Was actually just thinking this!

Finished the film just then, actually shocked at how well it held up considering my initial reservations. The whole epilogue had me wanting more as well.

Think my final score is a solid 7.5. 

7 hours ago, kingbadger said:

This does beg the question as to why Snyder originally decided to write a 4 hour long film thinking it'll get made and released as he intended. Pretty sure if Whedon was given 4 hours to make a JL film rather than cutting and reshooting a 4 hour film down to 2 hours it'd be decent, he did do The Avengers after all. 

I imagine he's gone overboard with the Superman is Jesus visual cues and could probably save a few hours if they cut them down.

I think it was meant to be 2-3 hours but they normally shoot extra bits which they wont even use just so they have something for pacing when it comes time to edit as you got to give the editor stuff to work with but they are keeping everything in, like for example in Infinity War they had Mark Ruffalo becoming Professor Hulk but it was chopped off and picked up in Endgame instead. Plus with this being Snyder’s last go at Justice League they have thrown in a few extra things too since it was originally a two parter (I'm not sure if they filmed parts 1 & 2 at the same time though) but apparently there were only two reshoots for a few mins of footage.

Even with the DC films being really iffy I did like there was cause and affect with them like Batman Vs Superman came about from the actions in Man of Steel so having a Justice League which lines up with that could be good. Also the (non-abusing cast & crew) stories about Whedon on Justice League was that he reshot 75% of the film, apart from he had to use the designs, actors and characters Snyder chose it was pretty much his film.

My VPN is playing up so I've not even started watching JL yet.

Really enjoyed Bird & Boy, awesome intro scene and has led to quite an interesting story. Excited for the next installment on Friday

On this Justice League thing, I'm really annoyed about the high ratings it's getting on IMDB. I think people are rating it in comparison to the original and therefore massively inflating the score. I haven't seen it yet and wasn't planning to however I've seen all bar 10 films in the IMDB top 250 and plan on completing that list, really hoping it doesn't involve having to sit through JL (although I may be pleasantly surprised)

8 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Thought Bird & Boy was great. Nice mix of typical Marvel action and a deeper look in to a post-blip world, and a couple of cameos in there for good measure. Pretty excited for what’s to come.

Yup agreed, opening sequence was fantastic but highlight was definitely getting to see Sam and Bucky's post-blip lives getting fleshed out. Great start. 

I've got three hours into JL so I've taken a break, my thoughts so far.

Is Darkseid's Thanos' secret identity or something? They could have explained it better, I assume it's like Hugo Weaving where Josh Brolin didn't want to come back but the guy they got to replace him was rubbish.

I know you can't have Captain America and Iron Man in every Marvel film but I really think having them in Justice League would have helped, I mean Batman and Superman are cool but Cap and Tony are incons and I never like how these films don't explain why Black Panther doesn't get help from Ant-Man or whoever.

It's a shame there's no Stan Lee cameo, maybe he was busy when they were filming it.

52 minutes ago, jump said:

Is Darkseid's Thanos' secret identity or something? They could have explained it better, I assume it's like Hugo Weaving where Josh Brolin didn't want to come back but the guy they got to replace him was rubbish.

I know you can't have Captain America and Iron Man in every Marvel film but I really think having them in Justice League would have helped, I mean Batman and Superman are cool but Cap and Tony are incons and I never like how these films don't explain why Black Panther doesn't get help from Ant-Man or whoever.

Justice League is a DC movie, why would Marvel characters show up in it?

48 minutes ago, waltere said:

Justice League is a DC movie, why would Marvel characters show up in it?

Because it’s a shared universe, like when  a X-Men showed up in Wanda Vision or when Captain Marvel was in Shazam. 

image.png.fe8e5ce79690af0157f83c69c2f96631.png

Edited by jump

Enjoyed Bird and Boy, especially the talk about superhero finances (although let’s hope they don’t go all Phantom Menace on us!), Sam’s family life and Bucky and the therapist. That line about needing ‘a different kind of hero’ and focusing on Sam and the cameo star seemed a little on the nose!