Marvel shows & spoilers

FloorFiller

I really enjoyed Doctor Strange 2. It's 100% a Sam Raimi film set in the MCU. So good to have Raimi back. MVP is definitely Elizabeth Olsen's Wanda Maximoff. I thought it was loads of fun. Loved it!

Edited by sime

The new Doctor Strange is very different to the first and tbh it's left me a little concerned about the overall direction the MCU is heading in.

The narrative of the film itself suffers as it tries to cram too much in. It's all very Sam Raimi, and I'm kinda here for that, but the tone felt jarring compared to the original and most of the previous MCU films. It's certainly not suitable for under 12s, some bits reminded of The Boys (which I have no time for at all).

Many of the alternate realities in the multiverse felt too contrived, I think the success of the first 3 phases lay in grounding the stories in our reality and that's in danger of being lost with everything getting too fantastical. What's interesting to me about the concept of the multiverse is how another reality can be almost exactly like ours but with subtle changes that cause profound differences. Realities made of paint - not so much. 

Also worried that they're introducing too many new characters too quickly, some of whom feel a little superfluous, or poorly realised, a bit pantomime, and very throwaway. Also very displeased at the treatment of one character in particular who deserved much better.

Most importantly for the grand story arc over the next 5/6 years I'm concerned that they seem to have changed what an incursion is from the comics. That entire concept is quite hard to explain as it is, especially as compared to the infinity stones & gauntlet. If they're leading up to doing Secret Wars they really need to establish the ground rules very clearly in the mind of the audience. They didn't do that here, and also seemed to break the logic of why incursions happen which made the build up to secret wars so compelling.

Hopefully this is a blip and they can pull it all together again. Oh and they need to fix that eye, it looks shit.

I'd probably give it 5/10. Might revise up on repeat viewing. Might not. 

Edited by Junglist1981
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Junglist1981 said:

The new Doctor Strange is very different to the first and tbh it's left me a little concerned about the overall direction the MCU is heading in.

The narrative of the film itself suffers as it tries to cram too much in. It's all very Sam Raimi, and I'm kinda here for that, but the tone felt jarring compared to the original and most of the previous MCU films. It's certainly not suitable for under 12s, some bits reminded of The Boys (which I have no time for at all).

Many of the alternate realities in the multiverse felt too contrived, I think the success of the first 3 phases lay in grounding the stories in our reality and that's in danger of being lost with everything getting too fantastical. What's interesting to me about the concept of the multiverse is how another reality can be almost exactly like ours but with subtle changes that cause profound differences. Realities made of paint - not so much. 

Also worried that they're introducing too many new characters too quickly, some of whom feel a little superfluous, or poorly realised, a bit pantomime, and very throwaway. Also very displeased at the treatment of one character in particular who deserved much better.

Most importantly for the grand story arc over the next 5/6 years I'm concerned that they seem to have changed what an incursion is from the comics. That entire concept is quite hard to explain as it is, especially as compared to the infinity stones & gauntlet. If they're leading up to doing Secret Wars they really need to establish the ground rules very clearly in the mind of the audience. They didn't do that here, and also seemed to break the logic of why incursions happen which made the build up to secret wars so compelling.

Hopefully this is a blip and they can pull it all together again. Oh and they need to fix that eye, it looks shit.

I'd probably give it 5/10. Might revise up on repeat viewing. Might not. 

Things is why does every Marvel movie must be building to the next movie and not a movie on it's own?

It really annoys me as Marvel so rarely ever do cliff hangers or part 2 out of  6 type things but the fans seem to really want it, it's like they just want to watch the movie to get closer to the next one rather than seeing it as a big playground where the films connect with each other which they did well here with Wanda acting like a c**t and knowing her backstory.

5 hours ago, jump said:

Things is why does every Marvel movie must be building to the next movie and not a movie on it's own?

It really annoys me as Marvel so rarely ever do cliff hangers or part 2 out of  6 type things but the fans seem to really want it, it's like they just want to watch the movie to get closer to the next one rather than seeing it as a big playground where the films connect with each other which they did well here with Wanda acting like a c**t and knowing her backstory.

Each movie is of its own, but from the very beginning they've always seeded elements of their grand design. Introducing and hinting at various characters is a big part of that, and in particular the infinity stones were central to the plot of many of the films from the very start. The reason Infinity War and Endgame were so unbelievably successful is that they spectacularly paid off that 10 years of gradual build up. It's genuinely remarkable, nothing remotely like that has been done before.

Question now is can they do it again. Signs aren't great for me, but there's a long way to go. Entire movies don't have to focus on the overarching plot, but they do have to play into it (like they always have done). I certainly don't want cliff hangers either, I just wanna feel justified in continuing to be invested in the ongoing story and I worry that they might be about to muff it all up.

Spoilers

How they used Wanda just felt cheap to me. After they brought her back from the brink and gave her some redemption in WandaVision, to then turn around and go "ahhhh not really, that lady who felt really bad about hypnotising a bunch of people has decided in the interim that she's happy to go full on brutal murderer nutcase after all". Felt like they just threw her away after years of building her up, made a very sympathetic character completely hateful. Perhaps Elizabeth Olsen has decided she wants out so they just burnt Wanda down? Dunno. 

4 minutes ago, Junglist1981 said:

Each movie is of its own, but from the very beginning they've always seeded elements of their grand design. Introducing and hinting at various characters is a big part of that, and in particular the infinity stones were central to the plot of many of the films from the very start. The reason Infinity War and Endgame were so unbelievably successful is that they spectacularly paid off that 10 years of gradual build up. It's genuinely remarkable, nothing remotely like that has been done before.

Question now is can they do it again. Signs aren't great for me, but there's a long way to go. Entire movies don't have to focus on the overarching plot, but they do have to play into it (like they always have done). I certainly don't want cliff hangers either, I just wanna feel justified in continuing to be invested in the ongoing story and I worry that they might be about to muff it all up.

Spoilers

How they used Wanda just felt cheap to me. After they brought her back from the brink and gave her some redemption in WandaVision, to then turn around and go "ahhhh not really, that lady who felt really bad about hypnotising a bunch of people has decided in the interim that she's happy to go full on brutal murderer nutcase after all". Felt like they just threw her away after years of building her up, made a very sympathetic character completely hateful. Perhaps Elizabeth Olsen has decided she wants out so they just burnt Wanda down? Dunno. 

You’re missing that the Darkhold has a corrupting influence on it’s reader and how she overcame it at the end.

38 minutes ago, Junglist1981 said:

Spoilers

If the internet is to believed, she may have just signed a new 7 year deal.

I saw MoM on Friday and it's not really stuck with me at all? Some fantastic acting throughout but I was expecting a lot more 'shenanigans' so to speak. The cameos we got were cool but I'd have liked more glimpses into different universes. I know it's not a like for like comparison but after IW, Endgame, and even Civil War I walked out of the cinema and kept thinking about the movies for days after. Didn't get that with this. Still a solid 7 though I'd say. 

50 minutes ago, jump said:

You’re missing that the Darkhold has a corrupting influence on it’s reader and how she overcame it at the end.

Spoilers

Nah I got that, it felt cheap. Maybe a little more time exploring the Darkhold turning her into Scarlett Witch and her good side fighting it at least a little bit would of helped, but there was like 60 seconds of normal Wanda before she was revealed to have become entirely evil since WandaVision. Don't forget that WandaVision explored at length how she overcame her dark side, accepted her reality and let her kids go. But apparently no that was all bullshit and she's just entirely bad now. Quick redemption at the end didn't cut it for me. And it wasn't really a redemption anyway, she just stopped murdering and then maybe died.

Meanwhile Doctor Strange used the Darkhold, and yet aside from his dodgy third eye he's completely fine? Hmmmm. 

To be fair I have a hangover today which brings out my super negative pick everything to pieces side. I'll look forward to rewatching it in a few months. 

16 hours ago, Junglist1981 said:

Spoilers

Nah I got that, it felt cheap. Maybe a little more time exploring the Darkhold turning her into Scarlett Witch and her good side fighting it at least a little bit would of helped, but there was like 60 seconds of normal Wanda before she was revealed to have become entirely evil since WandaVision. Don't forget that WandaVision explored at length how she overcame her dark side, accepted her reality and let her kids go. But apparently no that was all bullshit and she's just entirely bad now. Quick redemption at the end didn't cut it for me. And it wasn't really a redemption anyway, she just stopped murdering and then maybe died.

Meanwhile Doctor Strange used the Darkhold, and yet aside from his dodgy third eye he's completely fine? Hmmmm. 

To be fair I have a hangover today which brings out my super negative pick everything to pieces side. I'll look forward to rewatching it in a few months. 

Didn't they cover that with the other Doctor Stranges though?

The way this film is being dissected you'd think it's an European art house film rather than a Hollywood popcorn movie. lol

SPOILERS

I quite enjoyed it when I saw it yesterday with my 9 year old son - went for the 4DX experience (he loves it, I'm a bit meh on it), and the effect worked a lot better than some of the other films I'd see in it.  We both enjoyed the film, but agree on Wanda being short changed - it felt too much of a sudden change, much as junglist mentioned above.

Love the cameo's, though Picard is looking really old now.  If they revisit the Illuminati in the future film (different multiverse), please go with the MacAvoy version.  Hadn't realised Black Bolt was the actor from the poor TV show. 

Makes you wonder that if Wanda was that powerful, why didn't she despatch Thanos a bit sooner!

Not sure what happens next - after the mid credits, I'm not sure what film he'll pop up in next with Clea - as the MCU schedule is pretty full for a few years.  Also unsure if it it needs another Dr Strange film.

• 1 month later...

Girlfriend dragged me along to lover + thunder yesterday, my first marvel film since *checks notes* Winter Soldier.  

Couple of questions:

1) Is it meant to look like an episode of Neighbours? 

2) Why does no one EVER SHUT UP.  

3) Can someone explain Russell Crowe's accent?  Is there some deep lore reason I'm missing for it?  I mean, I always found Chris Hemsworth's strange forced British accent weird but always assumed it was because Thor had magic marvel crystals up his arse or something.

Edited by HyperTechnoHorse

Went in to Love & Thunder with considerably lowered expectations after seeing some of the reviews and general reception it’d been getting, along with my enthusiasm for the MCU dwindling considerably lately, but I really enjoyed it. Not without its faults and it’s hardly a game changer in the universe as a whole, but it got a lot of laughs from me and I thought the Jane cancer story was actually pretty damn heartwrenching which isn’t something I could say about any other Marvel film.

Gorr (and his god killing - can’t believe we only saw one, and it was the literal first scene) should’ve been at the forefront a lot more, but Bale gave an excellent performance as always which stopped him from being a totally forgettable villain. 

Hope they start focusing on the bigger picture in these films soon as, even with the multiverse being prevalent in a few of them and clearly leading somewhere, the films so far all seem pretty singular with no overriding arch or enemy. Kang was introduced in Loki all that time ago and we’ve had no mention of him since, but hopefully from Ant Man onwards he becomes a bigger deal/threat. 

On 5/8/2022 at 4:02 PM, Junglist1981 said:

I think people overestimate how much the original films did that. Or at least, openly did that. Yes, we could see the infinity stones cropping up all over the place, but that was basically it. The rest of it was set-up that we didn't see at the time: for example the entire Tony Stark character arc was paid off massively in Endgame but we weren't saying at the time of Iron Man 2 "ooh, this is setting it all up for later".

People are also assuming they know what the bigger picture will be. Plenty of stuff from the last few films could be intensely relevant to the next big crossover film, but we just don't know yet as we don't know what said film will be about. We got two Avengers films with very different villains before Infinity War.

1 hour ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

Saw Thor: Love and Thunder yesterday.

Taika took what made Ragnarok great, cranked it up by 100 and ruined what could have been a really great story. 

Apparently there is 2h on the cutting room floor. Would love to see an extended cut especially the scenes that weren't family friendly enough 

Thor is just a massive 2 hour sugar rush. Not quite sure what people were expecting from it given the trailers and what we know about the plot. I really enjoyed it and had a blast.

MINOR SPOILER

As an aside, loved the Easter eggs in the gateway to eternity. Living Tribunal must be making an appearance eventually, surely. Can’t wait to see how they handle that. Feel like Kang might murder them.

3 hours ago, HyperTechnoHorse said:

3) Can someone explain Russell Crowe's accent?  Is there some deep lore reason I'm missing for it?  I mean, I always found Chris Hemsworth's strange forced British accent weird but always assumed it was because Thor had magic marvel crystals up his arse or something.

Greek accent?

I was pretty disappointed. It was just too much comedy for me. I did laugh at the jokes, but I felt at points like they couldn't let dramatic moments sit without bringing in a joke to lighten the mood.

Bale was fantastic as ever, but we needed way more God killing. 

Dunno, I feel like the MCU is in a bit of a meh period ATM. The TV shows are (mostly) great, but the movies aren't holding my interest like they used to. Probably just post IW/Endgame fatigue, so hopefully the excitement comes back with time. I trust Feige.