Marvel shows & spoilers

FloorFiller

35 minutes ago, Padjeq said:

Haven't looked at the lego sets, but to me it was clear who Black Panther was gonna be when Letitia Wright was top billed on the trailer, despite Lupita Nyong'o being a much bigger name.

Which is a shame because Lupita taking on the mantle would’ve been much better imo. Maybe my opinion is jaded because of her antivax bullshit, but Shuri just doesn’t make much sense as Black Panther, although I’m sure Marvel know what they’re doing and have good reason for their decision. 

4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Which is a shame because Lupita taking on the mantle would’ve been much better imo. Maybe my opinion is jaded because of her antivax bullshit, but Shuri just doesn’t make much sense as Black Panther, although I’m sure Marvel know what they’re doing and have good reason for their decision. 

Lupita would be my choice for sure. Shuri makes sense when you consider the Black Panther is a direct lineage down the royal family. The plot of the first one, with Killmonger taking the mantle, hinged on this.

Shuri became Black Panther in the comics at one point, but the film Shuri and comic Shuri are very different, and the film one is more of a sidekick imo. Comics T'Challa is a genius scientist and tactician, and they removed that from his film persona, and gave the scientist stuff to Shuri so she'd have something to do. She'll start the film as the rightful Black Panther, but I don't know if that's how she'll end it.* Marvel trailers are generally good at showing you a lot while actually telling you nothing - like how no one knew Wanda was the villain in Dr Strange 2.

*Daniel Kaluuya recently claimed he was too busy to be in Wakanda Forever. It's weird given how contracts for the biggest film studio on earth are the ones you need to honour the most. Makes you wonder.

• 7 months later...
8 minutes ago, zahidf said:

https://thedirect.com/article/avengers-5-actor-arrest-accused

Guess they'll have to recast Kang now

There were rumours about this guy being a prick to work with a while back but yeah, hard to see how they can continue a working relationship with him after this, and what awful timing considering he is just now being set up as the big bad whose story is the main focus of the next few years at least. I suppose they’re pretty lucky that his story centres on the multiverse and so him suddenly being somebody else wouldn’t be too hard to explain…

Not sure whether he’d go for it given his previous relationship and struggles with Disney, but I feel like John Boyega deserves a second shot at stardom after he was sidelined so much in Star Wars. 

edit: but then I also wouldn’t be surprised to see him continue in the role. If Ezra Miller can be kept on as the Flash after their year of menacing then I don’t think it’s too much to imagine that Jonathan can do the whole apology/redemption tour thing for Marvel. 

Edited by FloorFiller