Marvel shows & spoilers

FloorFiller

If I was the lead in what is set to be one of the biggest films of all time (which just so happens to be the biggest of the pandemic era) and a main part of 2 of the top 5 grossing films of all time, I'd definitely say I didn't wanna make any more. Walt Disney's iced head itself will be showing up with the fattest cheque imaginable.

No Way Home was excellent, although Dr Strange seems to have reverted to the massive prick he was before his accident.

Hawkeye was also excellent, probably the best of the MCU tv shows. Oh how I laughed at the fate of the guys in the van in the finale... then I stopped... and looked past the joke... and thought... “this is possibly the most horrific thing I’ve ever seen in the whole MCU” 😳

18 hours ago, John the Moth said:

No Way Home was excellent, although Dr Strange seems to have reverted to the massive prick he was before his accident.

Hawkeye was also excellent, probably the best of the MCU tv shows. Oh how I laughed at the fate of the guys in the van in the finale... then I stopped... and looked past the joke... and thought... “this is possibly the most horrific thing I’ve ever seen in the whole MCU” 😳

The guy with the now frozen leg as well 😐

Binged all of Hawkeye last night, what an absolute delight that was. It was definitely the one I went into with the least expectations but was blown away by it; the acting was superb all round, great plot & the balance between drama & humour was spot on. If I were to rank the series' this year...

1. Hawkeye

2. WandaVision

3. Loki

4. Birdboy & Winter Lad

5. What If?

But I have to say, I've really enjoyed all the series' Marvel put out this year. Stellar, stellar work.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

(Again, not Marvel, but fuck it):

I’m trying to temper my expectations with this given DC’s track record, but from both the cast to the action this looks badass. Really looking forward to it:

Looks absolutely incredible doesn't it! 

DC at this point should just really differentiate themselves from Marvel by just sticking to really well done individual series of films. They clearly have no clue or the patience to properly build up a shared universe. Just focus on one character in a series of films and they'll be fine. No reason they can't have a successful series of standalone Batman and Superman films going on at the same time.

1 hour ago, kingbadger said:

DC at this point should just really differentiate themselves from Marvel by just sticking to really well done individual series of films. They clearly have no clue or the patience to properly build up a shared universe. Just focus on one character in a series of films and they'll be fine. No reason they can't have a successful series of standalone Batman and Superman films going on at the same time.

I think the problem is simpler than that and they just keep making shit films rather than they don't know how to build an universe. 70s Superman, The Dark Knight etc were all driven by the directors' vision as the producers at WB are constantly bickering with themselves like it's an episode of Succession, getting sacked etc to get shit done. It's at the point where AT&T are looking to sell WB as it's such a mess.

I'm trying to not get that excited for the new Batman, it starts looking really good but then I hear something stupid like they are basing Batman on Kurt Cobain, it's early Batman which is the most boring Batman they can be done, and plot twist it's the Joker again.

Absolutely loved No Way Home - so glad it's doing well at the box office, in critic and fan reviews - felt like something special. So many nice touches and fan service. 

Felt a bit bad for Rhys Ifans and Thomas Haden Church, as they didn't get their names in the main end credits - I know they were relatively minor, but still nice to see them.

Really excited for Dr Strange now and all the D+ series coming our way too.  

Hawkeye finale was pretty good too - MCU is really spoiling us.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got round to watching Hawkeye this week, absolutely loved it. Great fun all the way through. Hope we get more Kingpin in the future, a brilliant bad guy.

Thought the end credit scene joke wore very thin after about 30 seconds though. 

Saw NWH over Christmas, just echo the other comments here really. Excellent stuff.

Still not seen Eternals but it's on Disney+ next week so will rectify that.

Watched Eternals last night, hoping that with my expectations well and truly lowered after the critical thrashing it got that it would prove to be somewhat of a pleasant surprise, but nah, I found it an absolute slog. Largely dull characters and far too many of them to really make any kind of real impact in its run time, and just so much exposition with scenes of characters explaining to other characters what the fuck is going on and why they/we should care almost constantly. 

Real shame that the first Marvel film to attempt to diverge from the tried and tested formula ended up being such a mess, but a great reminder why Marvel’s decade long introduction to the Avengers is so incredible and how it couldn’t have ever been done in a single film. 

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I've not watched anything Marvel since Loki. Not watched Black Widow, Shang Chi, Spiderman, Eternals or Hawkeye.

Think I've been feeling a bit fatigued by it all so am having a little time out.

Crazy that that equates to about 6 months downtime and you have that much to catch up on already.

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I've not watched anything Marvel since Loki. Not watched Black Widow, Shang Chi, Spiderman, Eternals or Hawkeye.

Think I've been feeling a bit fatigued by it all so am having a little time out.

Just read their wiki pages and don't worry about catching up but try to watch Spider Man and Hawkeye as both are proper popcorn fun.

Edited by jump

6 minutes ago, jump said:

Just read their wiki pages and don't worry about catching up but try to watching Spider Man and Hawkeye as both are proper popcorn fun.

Yeah I'll watch Spider-Man when it comes to Disney (although I'm betting the Sony deal means it won't come straight away), was going to go the cinema just before Christmas but decided it wasn't worth the Covid risk.

That said all the main surprises have been long spoilt now.