Marvel shows & spoilers

FloorFiller

It looks promising but the way Batman is fighting lots of groups of gangs reminds me more of the Arkham games than of Batman from the comics. I’m hoping the detective and vigilante aspects are in the movie but just weren’t trailery enough to make the trailer. The design choices of the costumes and Batmobile are fucking awful. The Riddler is particular looks pants.

image.thumb.jpeg.b494bf32eb8e2519c472525b5d590f2f.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4c23f2f015d6673acde8b007423461a2.jpeg

12 minutes ago, jump said:

It looks promising but the way Batman is fighting lots of groups of gangs reminds me more of the Arkham games than of Batman from the comics. I’m hoping the detective and vigilante aspects are in the movie but just weren’t trailery enough to make the trailer. The design choices of the costumes and Batmobile are fucking awful. The Riddler is particular looks pants.

I think the costume designs and car are supposed to be a bit crappy. This is supposed to be Batman right at the start of becoming a hero and in a realistic grounded fashion, so making his own DIY costume and pimping out a muscle car instead of automatically having all this incredible technology straight off the bat (no pun intended). 

The Riddler look is interesting, and again, I think they’ve gone for a realistic look of a killer just hiding his identity in the most basic way rather than some guy running around with a suit and bowler hat covered in question marks.

The director has bigged up the detective element of this so I definitely think they’ve chosen to go with more actiony scenes for the trailer as that’s what gets people’s attention. Also like that they’ve not ruined the plot with the trailer - other than him going against Riddler and Penguin, I have no idea of what the actual plot of this film is, and I hope they don't spoil that with further trailers/promo.

2 hours ago, jump said:

Batman year 1 or 2 was supposed to look like Batman 10 years in? Not really. So no complaints in Batman Begins when Bruce just has some of his gear initially before putting the first batsuit together? And the Batmobile is the first iteration for this Batman, again, its the start. They even had an episode on Batman Animated series when Batman had a not so great vehicle and then had it upgraded.

36 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Batman year 1 or 2 was supposed to look like Batman 10 years in? Not really. So no complaints in Batman Begins when Bruce just has some of his gear initially before putting the first batsuit together? And the Batmobile is the first iteration for this Batman, again, its the start. They even had an episode on Batman Animated series when Batman had a not so great vehicle and then had it upgraded.

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

I think the costume designs and car are supposed to be a bit crappy. This is supposed to be Batman right at the start of becoming a hero and in a realistic grounded fashion, so making his own DIY costume and pimping out a muscle car instead of automatically having all this incredible technology straight off the bat (no pun intended). 

The Riddler look is interesting, and again, I think they’ve gone for a realistic look of a killer just hiding his identity in the most basic way rather than some guy running around with a suit and bowler hat covered in question marks.

The director has bigged up the detective element of this so I definitely think they’ve chosen to go with more actiony scenes for the trailer as that’s what gets people’s attention. Also like that they’ve not ruined the plot with the trailer - other than him going against Riddler and Penguin, I have no idea of what the actual plot of this film is, and I hope they don't spoil that with further trailers/promo.

You misunderstand. I have a problem with the villains and Batmobile looking shit even if it's "year one" and not that they don't look Batmanish.

And to be honest there's more interesting stories to do with Batman than early year and what if Batman was in the "real" world. I've seen enough of those already and it's a waste of character who has the most developed lore in comics, as Batman has been built on layers of layers by comic writers who grew up reading it and figured the solutions to the plot holes and interesting takes and injected it into the comics. His parents are dead = do vengeance is the most boring take on Batman. In the last decade Scott Snyder, Tom King and Sean Murphy have been banging out some new classic stories that are not just his Mum’s pearls dropping to the ground as kiddie Batman watches her die yet again.

Edited by jump

11 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Not Marvel but…

That scene of him walking towards the car at the end is absolutely badass. Really hope this is good.

Also Colin Farrell’s transformation continues to astound me. 

Gonna be a struggle to watch it without going "Oo! There's the Liver Building. Oo! That's St George's Hall".

16 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Watched Venom 2, for a film that basically has no act 2 I actually quite liked it. Wouldn't go as far as to call it good but yeah, enjoyed myself considering I only really watched it for the post credit scene

Saw it today as well. Tom Hardy is clearly having a blast and I liked that it was fairly short - too many of these comic book films are going over the two-hour mark!

I saw Venom 2, meh It reminds me of a 90/00s superhero film. 

Does Carnage have the power to create twisters in the comics and I never noticed before? It seemed really out of place and until then it seemed they like they had a really cool take on him with being a vicious raptor like creature rather than just a red Venom.

On 10/17/2021 at 9:51 PM, priest17 said:

Watched Venom 2, for a film that basically has no act 2 I actually quite liked it. Wouldn't go as far as to call it good but yeah, enjoyed myself considering I only really watched it for the post credit scene

I've just seen it today. Almost felt like a novelty to go out to the cinema to see a film under 2 hours long at this point.

Was kinda goofy fun. I agree with a review who said it was almost fun as a buddy movie between Hardy & Venom then being a superhero flick, though the post-credit sequence raises some very interesting possibilities.

Edited by charlierc

7 hours ago, John the Moth said:

Eternals is getting some very average reviews.

Although I’m surprised by just how mediocre the reviews have been so far, I’ve gotta say I thought it looked pretty naff since the first trailer. Looks like it’s squeezing wayy too much in to a single film to the point that the trailer was basically just a bunch of exposition explaining what the fuck is going on and who these people are, and some of the CGI (the monster/alien/whatever things especially) looks absolutely crap in the trailer (possibly fixed for the film - we’ll see).

Guess I’ll head in with suitably lowered expectations, anyway.

7 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Not technically a film but I’ve played the first hour or so of the new GOTG game tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I'm planning on getting it after seeing reviews which are promising it's not shit like the Avengers game but I've heard the bugs are annoying so I'm gonna wait for a patch and a sale.

8 hours ago, John the Moth said:

Eternals is getting some very average reviews.

I've heard the Marvel suits are all really impressed with it. It seems it's more like a Marvel Oscar fodder film, lovely cinematography and weighty issues but fairly aimless storytelling just like Nomadland (how the fuck did that win the best movie Oscar) so that isn't reconciling with the reviewers looking for good guy slaps the bad guy.

59 minutes ago, jump said:

I'm planning on getting it after seeing reviews which are promising it's not shit like the Avengers game but I've heard the bugs are annoying so I'm gonna wait for a patch and a sale.

There’s been a day one patch that has helped a little with the bugs. Only had one instance so far where I got stuck in the scenery and had to reload.

Characters are spot on, and it actually is genuinely funny.

• 1 month later...

So Spider Man was great both in it’s own right and going back to add to the other films. SPOILERS like Garfield rescuing MJ after mucking it up before, Green Goblin without the mask comes off so much more of a c**t than looking like a Power Ranger action figure and the three of Spiders interacting was great. Their interactions came off as sincere and they seem to actually like each unlike Avengers which talked about how they are a team/family but only with lip service. Plus Charlie Cox Daredevil is back 🙂 SPOILERS

Hawkeye has really surprised me by being so enjoyable even if it’s not as big of a spectacle as WandaVision and the other Marvel shows. 

I mentioned it before the site went down and those posts are missing so I will say it again, Legion is a fucking brilliant. It’s been added to Disney+ now and it does the same thing as WandaVision and Loki but so much better.

Spoilers ahead!

NWH was certainly better than I was expecting, and although there was a lot of stuff being squeezed in to a short runtime, they handled it well (for the most part - Doctor Strange just starting to cast the spell without really discussing it with Peter and then getting pissed when he gave finer details mid-spell all seemed a bit off and a means to get the plot moving, as well as Peter just chilling with these villains and not expecting it to go horribly wrong). 

Absolute nostalgia fest in the best possible way, and I had a huge grin on my face for the last third of the film with the three Spider-Men. 

Dafoe stole the show throughout. Echo the above sentiment about him going maskless - dudes got such a great fantastic evil face and he absolutely nailed the changes between Norman and Goblin and just seemed to be having a great time with it. The two him vs. Tom’s Spider-Man fights were just so visceral and incredible to watch, and he really showed why Goblin is largely thought to be Spider-Man’s arch nemesis in the short amount of screen time he had. So good to have him back for one last film. 

Agreed with the above, that final third was just a fucking delight. 

Did anyone else have cheering and clapping during the big moments? The money I'd pay to not be an absolute nerd who spends so much time online, cause I bet those reveals would be INCREDIBLE with no prior knowledge. 

NWH was great. Not without it's flaws. A few convenient plot points that were just glossed over for the sake of moving the story forward. 

The third act was incredible. Almost reaching the heights of the final battle in Endgame. 

I wish I could have gone in spoiler free and be one of the people that audibly gasped but alas, I follow too much movie stuff on the youtubes. 

Really like how it ended and where they are potentially taking Spider-Man going forward.

Booked in to see it on Sunday with my son - so excited - have binged the older Spidermans, with just S3 to see.  Spoiler free so far and no idea why i'm even in this thread.

Loving Hawkeye too - just great fun.  Really excited for the new series on D+ next year too.  My ex doesn't have D+ (doesnt like Marvel), so it's perfect for me an the boy to sit down to once a week.

NWH had a fair few bits you could nit pick, but ultimately it was the most fun I’ve ever had at the cinema and you can’t ask more than that. Saw it day one and the reactions were louder/more emotional than Endgame. Might not be my favourite or the “best” MCU movie imo, but easily the most fun.

How good was the Doctor Strange trailer?! 

So happy that it's doing absolutely huge numbers box office wise as well, it's even beat the Infinity War opening in the US. Insane considering we're in a pandemic. 

As much as Sony are usually awful, fair play to them on this one. Hopefully it means we continue to have Spider-Man in the MCU for the foreseeable future (assuming Holland comes back, which I assume he will when they pull up in front of his house with a dumptruck full of money). 

51 minutes ago, Zacko said:

Hopefully it means we continue to have Spider-Man in the MCU for the foreseeable future (assuming Holland comes back, which I assume he will when they pull up in front of his house with a dumptruck full of money). 

Although he’s currently doing the whole ‘I’m not sure if I’m gonna return’ bit in his interviews, I think we’ll get at least another trilogy out of him, especially with how they ended NWH. Sets up an entirely different kind of Spider-Man that we haven’t yet seen in the MCU and that many people have been yearning for. Of course, Sony getting too involved is always gonna be a risk, but fingers crossed they let Marvel do their thing and we get some real back to basics friendly neighbourhood Spider-Man stuff coming in a couple of years (along with a proper telling of that storyline that’s hinted at in the mid-credit scene).