Marvel shows & spoilers

FloorFiller

15 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Kang could pop up in like 4 movies just off this. Spider Man maybe post credits, Dr Strange for sure, Ant Man and maybe even Thor cause with Taika at the helm his film is bound to go haywire on multiple levels.

After Endgame I was a bit unsure where the MCU would go next. The Infinity Saga plot arc had guided things for so long that I thought there was a real chance it could all go tits up going into phase 4. 

Wandavision did a lot to reassure that the wheels were staying on, but now with that Loki finale I’m very confident that phase 4 will deliver 🙂 Like you say, the Kang link immediately pulls together the next raft of movies and it feels like it’s all falling into place…

I’m also now super excited for What If in a few weeks time. I’d assumed it would be fun but basically throwaway stand-alone entertainment with no real connection to the “main” MCU timeline. 

Now we’re fully into the multiverse? I reckon there will be a bit more to it… 

Finished off WandaVision tonight. Didn’t end as well as it started (the battle of the witches was a bit forced, for one) but a brilliant concept overall. Grief on a superhero level. Very much enjoyed it. 

Loki and Black Widow, then I believe I’m all caught up! 

Apparently there was meant to be a Latveria reference in Black Widow that was canned.

Feels like Marvel are now slowly teasing out the Fantastic Four. We’ve had references to SWORD astronaut programmes and aerospace engineers in WandaVision. We now have Kang, who is a direct descendant of Reed Richards on the scene.

I really hope they don’t waste a whole film on the origin story as that’s been done to death and everyone knows it. They could actually tease the story out in the background of other shows then have them step out with their powers in their own film. Marvel cannily realised with Spider-Man that we didn’t need to see Uncle Ben die yet again.

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Apparently there was meant to be a Latveria reference in Black Widow that was canned.

Feels like Marvel are now slowly teasing out the Fantastic Four. We’ve had references to SWORD astronaut programmes and aerospace engineers in WandaVision. We now have Kang, who is a direct descendant of Reed Richards on the scene.

I really hope they don’t waste a whole film on the origin story as that’s been done to death and everyone knows it. They could actually tease the story out in the background of other shows then have them step out with their powers in their own film. Marvel cannily realised with Spider-Man that we didn’t need to see Uncle Ben die yet again.

Although the difference being that we already had a pretty good origin story put to film that everybody loved with Spider Man, whereas with F4 the films sucked so I’m sure people wouldn’t mind seeing that story told again properly. With it being four characters who are looking to play an integral part in the MCU it’d perhaps feel a bit weird if they were suddenly just on the scene, although maybe a full origin film isn’t needed and they can abridge it somehow.

12 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Although the difference being that we already had a pretty good origin story put to film that everybody loved with Spider Man, whereas with F4 the films sucked so I’m sure people wouldn’t mind seeing that story told again properly. With it being four characters who are looking to play an integral part in the MCU it’d perhaps feel a bit weird if they were suddenly just on the scene, although maybe a full origin film isn’t needed and they can abridge it somehow.

Bad or not we've already had two F4 origin films in the last 15 years, can't really be bothered with sitting through another trip into space and cosmic rays.... Maybe they could step out of a different universe (thanks multiverse!) and their first film is about them adapting to their new world.

17 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Spot on. It's not even an interesting story, they go to space then we have half an hour where they work out what they can do. Give us an opening sequence where they already have their powers over that any day, there's enough shit dotted about to tease them in and provide a bit of context.

The Marvel's seems like an opportune place to shove em through a cosmic force in space and not have it overshadow the story completely (post credit scene of the thing looking at himself in the mirror for the first time). 

They know they've gotta nail this though so I trust them, I don't think they're gonna want anyone to think about fant4stic though which an origin story might.

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Bad or not we've already had two F4 origin films in the last 15 years, can't really be bothered with sitting through another trip into space and cosmic rays.... Maybe they could step out of a different universe (thanks multiverse!) and their first film is about them adapting to their new world.

I quite liked the idea that was floated at one point of the film being set in the 1960s, and then through some kind of shenanigans (Quantum realm etc), they end up in the present day.

4 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Maybe they could step out of a different universe (thanks multiverse!) and their first film is about them adapting to their new world.

If they are from a different universe I'd prefer their first film to be in their universe with them in their prime fighting Doom with some multiverse shenanigans that strand them in MCU-Prime at the end.

Their adjusting to the new world should be the first big cross over of the new phases.

Only just saw Loki finale as I've spent the week drinking.

I didn't really get the reveal with the TVA gaffer being a school teacher? Is it just proof they all had lives outside of the TVA, and Owen Wilson used the pen as a clue?

Kang channeling Forrest Whitaker was jarring until I realised he was going to die and be replaced by possibly more than one Mad Kangs. Shame Whitaker's already in Black Panther, cuz he coulda played Immortus later.

I guess we should just spoil Black Widow now. I did initially think Julia Louis-Dreyfus was setting up the Thunderbolts, but now I think it's the Dark Avengers. She's already got Dark Captain America (US Agent), Dark Black Widow (Yelena*), with versions of the Hulk (Abomination) already knocking around. Hawkeye has a brother called Barney who is basically a bad version of Clint in the comics and could easily appear in this summer's show. That leaves a Dark Thor and a Dark Iron Man to go. With the new Thor film (with a Lady Thor already known to be in it) and Armour Wars show not too far away, it's pretty easy to pick up some characters there, playing the long post-credits game just like Nick Fury did. And their 'villain' could be Lady Loki.

So many ways to go with Fantastic Four, and so much from the comics for inspiration. Both the Hickman and Waid comics - 2 of the best superhero runs of all time - could provide so much inspiration. Even the Millar/Carey/Ellis Ultimate Fantastic Four. Them being the dons of their universe then coming to the MCU would be pretty cool. Their origin isn't that interesting outside of poor Ben Grimm, and the 90s cartoon managed to explain it in song in 30 seconds.

I hope the Black Panther film pulls a good version of Michael B Jordan out of a different timeline where he grew up in Wakanda and took the mantle himself. Would be a good plot of retribution, and fix one of Marvel's most popular films with a proper leading man.

*Not that Yelena is necessarily a bad person. I just think she's childish and easily led. I did like that in the gap between the pre-blip and the return, she went from being proud of a sad vest-with-pockets, to going very stylish.

• Upvote 1

On 7/21/2021 at 10:24 AM, Padjeq said:

I hope the Black Panther film pulls a good version of Michael B Jordan out of a different timeline where he grew up in Wakanda and took the mantle himself. Would be a good plot of retribution, and fix one of Marvel's most popular films with a proper leading man.

See I'm the opposite, I feel like going forwards using the multiverse to introduce characters that easily would be a cop out. I'd still maybe have them use Killmonger though as the new Black Panther, there's money and plenty of legs in a redemption arc for a sympathetic villain. Let's face it, nobody stays dead when it comes to comic books, I'm sure resurrection would be equally as feasible as timeline shenanigans, and the latter will need to be used much better elsewhere. Last thing they want is to go overkill on the multiverse being a quick solve for everything. 

12 hours ago, kingbadger said:

See I'm the opposite, I feel like going forwards using the multiverse to introduce characters that easily would be a cop out. I'd still maybe have them use Killmonger though as the new Black Panther, there's money and plenty of legs in a redemption arc for a sympathetic villain. Let's face it, nobody stays dead when it comes to comic books, I'm sure resurrection would be equally as feasible as timeline shenanigans, and the latter will need to be used much better elsewhere. Last thing they want is to go overkill on the multiverse being a quick solve for everything. 

I get that, and I'm not really into it, but Black Panther is a different case because the lead died irl. Killmonger being a good, but different version, trying to lead a country that hates him would be interesting. So would evil this-universe Killmonger, although having watched Black Panther recently, he's irredeemable. I don't think the story would be as good with a different different-world Black Panther, and I don't think they'd do it.

Although Michael B Jordan is now producing the black Superman show for HBO Max. Unknown wether he's the lead or was the initial casting and bowed out with a production credit (as happens a lot with big actors) - so he might be gone from Marvel now anyway.

It's not Marvel but The Sucide Squad is getting great reviews. 98% on Rotten Tomatoes, people saying it's the best comic book movies of all time and London has it's own Starro to promote the movie. I may have a look at it in person during my lunch break. 

Starro (The Suicide Squad)

42 minutes ago, jump said:

It's not Marvel but The Sucide Squad is getting great reviews. 98% on Rotten Tomatoes, people saying it's the best comic book movies of all time and London has it's own Starro to promote the movie. I may have a look at it in person during my lunch break. 

Starro (The Suicide Squad)

People say that about every superhero film so not paying too much attention to that, James Gunn being allowed to go R-Rated with a bunch of lovable rogues was always a winning concept though so glad it's paid off. Really looking forward to it.