Marvel shows & spoilers

FloorFiller

8 minutes ago, John the Moth said:

I have just finished Season 2 earlier this week. It’s enjoyable, but it’s a bit weird how it plays like the Arrowverse stuff then suddenly throws in graphic/bloody violence and effin n jeffin.

Kory Anders is a rubbish character name though, whether or not it originated in the comics.

It wasn't as bad as season one but I still hated it, I've never watched any of the arrowverse stuff before so maybe I just came at it wrong.

11 hours ago, priest17 said:

It wasn't as bad as season one but I still hated it, I've never watched any of the arrowverse stuff before so maybe I just came at it wrong.

It wasn’t a compliment 😄 I meant it as a synonym of cartoony!

Think looking simultaneously glossy and cheap, with overly melodramatic plotting and dialogue 😉

The only Arrowverse show I watch these days is Legends of Tomorrow, which has fully embraced its inherent silliness and dived headlong into batshit crazy.

• Upvote 1

Won’t add to the spoilers but loved Black Widow. So good to have a new MCU movie - think this is the longest we’ve gone without one for over a decade?! 😂

I really hope we get more Florence Pugh in future MCU shows/movies. She’s great. 

Edited by jimmillen

1 hour ago, John the Moth said:

It wasn’t a compliment 😄 I meant it as a synonym of cartoony!

Think looking simultaneously glossy and cheap, with overly melodramatic plotting and dialogue 😉

The only Arrowverse show I watch these days is Legends of Tomorrow, which has fully embraced its inherent silliness and dived headlong into batshit crazy.

Oh thank god I think it's fucking awful ahah 

Been meaning to check out Legends because of the Doctor Who comparisons but I can't be arsed seeking it out ahah

Really enjoyed Black Widow - more than I thought I would - some great scenes and I loved the 'family' dynamic. Ray Winstone wasn't the best casting but Florence Pugh was brilliant. Great tag on at the end too.

I didn't make it to the cinema (I was meant to go Wednesday), so I brought the cinema to me...

IMG_20210709_212733473_HDR.jpg

Edited by vintagelaureate
  • Like 1

On 6/3/2021 at 9:39 PM, kalifire said:

I made my way through Phases 1 and 2 last month. I challenged myself to watch Phase 3 as well, inside a month, but it was just too much. I haven't been a comic book movie kind of guy until this point, so every single film was new to me (I've seen Doctor Strange and Black Panther but that's it).

On the whole, I've been enjoying them more than I thought I would, although Captain America is a bit of a weak link, I find his character and the stories he's involved with too serious and dry. I've been keeping tabs on my scores out of five stars, so here they are so far. The 3 star scores would have been 2.5 if it weren't for the sheer spectacle of these films. They're quite something to watch on my new 65" OLED </brag>.

Iron Man: 3.5
The Incredible Hulk: 3
Iron Man 2: 3
Thor: 4
Captain America: The First Avenger: 3.5
The Avengers: 4

Iron Man 3: 3.5
Thor: The Dark World: 3
Captain America: The Winter Soldier: 3
Guardians of the Galaxy: 4
Avengers: Age of Ultron: 4
Ant-Man: 3

Captain America: Civil War: 3

I took a break from these movies for a bit so I could enjoy the last few of Phase 4. I'm not sure if it was that, but there was a definite uptick in quality, imo - in large part for not taking themselves as seriously as some of the earlier movies. The last two Avengers movies I rated as one, given it was a two part story, but it anything the first one edged the second.

The scores on the doors:

Doctor Strange: 4
Guardians of the Galaxy 2: 4
Spider-Man: Homecoming: 3.5
Thor: Ragnarok: 4
Black Panther: 4
Avengers: Infinity War: 5
Ant-Man and the Wasp: 3.5
Captain Marvel: 4
Avengers: Endgame: 5

I predicted the demise of Iron Man and Captain America, but wasn't expecting Black Widow to cop it - I had Hulk on my list, mainly because it became obvious in Endgame that they don't really know what to do with him now, and he's run his course.

Edited by kalifire

I'm trying to avoid my paranoid speculation, but when the castle appeared at the end of the last Loki, all I could think of was Castle Doom. And I'd been thinking about him because the TVA logo spells VAL when seen from above. I know this seems mental, but they keep showing the logo upside down, on paper and things like that, like they want us to see it. Val is of course the daughter of Mr Fantastic and Sue Storm, and the sister of Child God On Earth Franklin Richards, and named for Dr Doom's old girlfriend. Adult Franklin knows all about the end of the world.

sorry. Feel like charlie in the postal room rn.

6 minutes ago, Padjeq said:

I'm trying to avoid my paranoid speculation, but when the castle appeared at the end of the last Loki, all I could think of was Castle Doom. And I'd been thinking about him because the TVA logo spells VAL when seen from above. I know this seems mental, but they keep showing the logo upside down, on paper and things like that, like they want us to see it. Val is of course the daughter of Mr Fantastic and Sue Storm, and the sister of Child God On Earth Franklin Richards, and named for Dr Doom's old girlfriend. Adult Franklin knows all about the end of the world.

sorry. Feel like charlie in the postal room rn.

No please keep this coming, Wandavision seems to have scared all the fun rumours out of people.

My comic/Marvel knowledge basically starts and ends with what the MCU is doing so I basically just scour the net for what all the Easter eggs etc are, but I did see that Kang is known for taking other forms in the comics, and one of those forms is called Immortus, and Immortus is known to have a castle in some kind of otherworldly dimension. This could all just be Marvel completely fucking with fans and it’s just another Loki, but all the signs point to it being Kang relatEd.

I've been to see Black Widow at the cinema twice now. New MCU on the big screen. Finally...! (It was supposed to be released in May 2020 wasn't it!) I've been wanting to see a Black Widow solo film for ages and for me it didn't disappoint. It's as much a family drama as it is a really good action spy thriller with some good self deprecating humour. Also adds some extra depth to Johansson's well played Romanov.

There is a good supporting cast too. Florence Pugh is great and I really enjoyed Taskmaster and Red Guardian. It's like a mix of Bond and Bourne. Interesting post credit scene too... Also, after the first showing on Wednesday afternoon I was given a free poster when I left the auditorium! Definitely recommended.

3 minutes ago, sime said:

I really enjoyed Taskmaster and Red Guardian. 

I think that would the one thing I'd say could have been expanded on - Taskmaster. Obviously they changed the character as known in the comics but they didn't really show their true potential. I hope they're not a 'one and done' villain. 

I tried to keep that paragraph as spoiler free as possible. 😂

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

I think that would the one thing I'd say could have been expanded on - Taskmaster. Obviously they changed the character as known in the comics but they didn't really show their true potential. I hope they're not a 'one and done' villain. 

I tried to keep that paragraph as spoiler free as possible. 😂

Agreed!

Black Widow was much better than I was expecting. Thought it being mostly removed from the main storyline and a prequel of sorts would make me not really give a shit about what was happening, but instead we got a pretty great insular story and a great and at times emotional sendoff for Natasha, with a lot of sweet action to boot.

As for Taskmaster, I get why people might’ve been disappointed in how much we got to see them, and their ‘powers’ were certainly under-utilised, but for once the faceless, emotionless villain actually worked for the story, and I certainly hope that’s not the last we see of them. Seems like Marvel is finally finding ways to bring back some of the forgotten throwaway villains so I’m sure they have a plan.

Edited by FloorFiller

Saw Black Widow on Friday and loved it.  I don't know if I went in with slightly lower expectations. My excitement for the film had dwindled over the last year.

As soon as the opening credits started you knew this film felt different from the others, it didn't feel MCU. I did feel strangely emotional at points, knowing what Natasha's ultimate fate was going to be. 

My only critiques are that Taskmaster was under used and the closing scene of the movie felt like it should have been a mid credit scene. Right before that scene we had a perfect closing shot of Natasha but then the film carried on. 

Been on exile from this thread as I wasn't able to watch Loki. Thankfully that was remedied this week and I've done the 5 eps over the last two nights. Wow. I thought ep 3 was a little weak but the rest have been fantastic. Absolutely buzzing for the finale. 

Sylvie is amazing 😍

Just got back from BW. 

Really enjoyed most of it, although the final third went a bit over the top for what had mostly felt like a nice gritty and grounded film.

Ray Winstone wins the Oscar for worst accent in a movie. David Harbour and Rachel Weisz were absolute delights

Went to see Black Widow last night and loved it. Think it's up there amongst my favourite MCU films (although that might partly be the excitement from going to the cinema for the first time in a year. And even then it was Tenet which was disappointing). Yes, Ray Winstone wasn't really trying, with the accent or the acting, but all the other leads were superb. Florence Pugh in particular was her usual brilliant self. It wasn't a subtle performance, but neither should it have been. There were a couple of moments though where she was able to really do her stuff that were amazing.