Marvel shows & spoilers

FloorFiller

3 hours ago, jump said:

Yeah, I reckon its in part because Robot Chicken for example referencing Aquaman is no longer a deep cut for comic/geekdom now since Aquaman is mainstream so they to get the same level they have to try a lot harder than showing Iron Man’s boot.

I dunno, I was never in to DC so very few of the characters are that well known to me and deep cut comedy would go over my head, but bits like that were bonuses on top of some solid gags.  Didn't feel like the first episode had that solid base to build on, but I'll give it another couple.

And naming the one armed AIM lackey Gary just felt like a callback to Gary the Stormtrooper, but not in a good way. 

On 5/25/2021 at 12:20 PM, Quark said:

I dunno, I was never in to DC so very few of the characters are that well known to me and deep cut comedy would go over my head, but bits like that were bonuses on top of some solid gags.  Didn't feel like the first episode had that solid base to build on, but I'll give it another couple.

And naming the one armed AIM lackey Gary just felt like a callback to Gary the Stormtrooper, but not in a good way. 

Yeah the jokes are shit but since te show is about MODOK who is one of the more out there characters I was expecting some deep cut jokes/references.

I made my way through Phases 1 and 2 last month. I challenged myself to watch Phase 3 as well, inside a month, but it was just too much. I haven't been a comic book movie kind of guy until this point, so every single film was new to me (I've seen Doctor Strange and Black Panther but that's it).

On the whole, I've been enjoying them more than I thought I would, although Captain America is a bit of a weak link, I find his character and the stories he's involved with too serious and dry. I've been keeping tabs on my scores out of five stars, so here they are so far. The 3 star scores would have been 2.5 if it weren't for the sheer spectacle of these films. They're quite something to watch on my new 65" OLED </brag>.

Iron Man: 3.5
The Incredible Hulk: 3
Iron Man 2: 3
Thor: 4
Captain America: The First Avenger: 3.5
The Avengers: 4

Iron Man 3: 3.5
Thor: The Dark World: 3
Captain America: The Winter Soldier: 3
Guardians of the Galaxy: 4
Avengers: Age of Ultron: 4
Ant-Man: 3

Captain America: Civil War: 3
Edited by kalifire

2 hours ago, kalifire said:

I wouldn't rank Thor and Iron Man on par with Captain America  (I also think think it's a superior film to the first one too!). 

You've got some watching done there though! 

giphy.gif

Edited by vintagelaureate

On 6/3/2021 at 12:39 PM, kalifire said:

I made my way through Phases 1 and 2 last month. I challenged myself to watch Phase 3 as well, inside a month, but it was just too much. I haven't been a comic book movie kind of guy until this point, so every single film was new to me (I've seen Doctor Strange and Black Panther but that's it).

On the whole, I've been enjoying them more than I thought I would, although Captain America is a bit of a weak link, I find his character and the stories he's involved with too serious and dry. I've been keeping tabs on my scores out of five stars, so here they are so far. The 3 star scores would have been 2.5 if it weren't for the sheer spectacle of these films. They're quite something to watch on my new 65" OLED </brag>.

What the fuck

Loki was good, really good. And the premise is intriguing. But is it going to be great?

I think it has the potential to be, but it seems determined to be a comedy, which I expected to a degree. It was only intermittently funny, and it diluted some of the more dramatic moments, which I didn’t expect.

Solid 8 out of 10, but I don’t think it has hit its stride yet. To be fair, it is of course only 1 episode in so far.

36 minutes ago, John the Moth said:

Loki was good, really good. And the premise is intriguing. But is it going to be great?

I think it has the potential to be, but it seems determined to be a comedy, which I expected to a degree. It was only intermittently funny, and it diluted some of the more dramatic moments, which I didn’t expect.

Solid 8 out of 10, but I don’t think it has hit its stride yet. To be fair, it is of course only 1 episode in so far.

Most of the comedy came from Wilson and Hiddleston’s chemistry. I could easily watch an hour of those two just riffing.

On 6/4/2021 at 12:38 AM, vintagelaureate said:

I wouldn't rank Thor and Iron Man on par with Captain America  (I also think think it's a superior film to the first one too!). 

You've got some watching done there though! 

giphy.gif

Just those specific movies. All three was quite dull, but for different reasons. Iron Man and Thor just weren’t as good as their first goes. Captain America was especially poe faced and self regarding. 

52 minutes ago, Quark said:

Given up on MODOK. Got part way through the second episode and I'd completely zoned out.  Just not making me laugh at all and the gags just feel really tired and rehashed. Shame as I really wanted to like it.

I watched all of it in one go and had a decent enough evening, the plot did build to something pretty interesting but it'd have fallen to the wayside of I was made to watch it week by week. I just don't think all shows need to be/work with the weekly model.

While I wouldn't say CA2 was as bad as Thor2 I really don't think it's up in the scores that it's generally given. A great twist for the series and character and some top moments but it's not the spy thriller it thinks it is.

Fucking loved Loki, hoping for some mad doctor who shit. I'm a bit of a sucker for anything time related but Owen Wilson, the set design and the potential of where this could go gets me very excited.

Watched avengers assemble again last night to gear up and you can see how much fun Tom is having going back to 2012 Loki. Was worried it would be jarring after all the character development we've seen but I think they'll get around it

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, priest17 said:

I watched all of it in one go and had a decent enough evening, the plot did build to something pretty interesting but it'd have fallen to the wayside of I was made to watch it week by week. I just don't think all shows need to be/work with the weekly model.

Don't think smashing through it would have made any difference tbh. When I watched ep1 I was almost waiting for it to finish, so the idea of watching more at a time would have been a complete turn off! 😄

Interesting to see the views of someone who's not seen them before and doesn't have much of a preconception from comic books. Particularly surprised by the high score for Thor tbh.

Considering you found the CA movies a bit serious I would have thought  you'd enjoy the Ant Man caper a bit more as well!

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

Interesting to see the views of someone who's not seen them before and doesn't have much of a preconception from comic books. Particularly surprised by the high score for Thor tbh.

Considering you found the CA movies a bit serious I would have thought  you'd enjoy the Ant Man caper a bit more as well!

I’m as surprised as you for the first Thor high score. I’m not generally a fan of fantasy. I guess it was so different at that point and just hit the mood. 

I’m finding inclusions of self aware humour make the movies much better. Iron Man has lots of it and so does the Avengers and Guardians movies so far. Again, the lack of it in Captain America movies makes those films far less enjoyable for me. 

Owen Wilson is fucking great isn't he?

Very intrigued by where this season is gonna go from here, particularly as I always assumed Loki seeing his "future" (?) character development and death would be in the final episode rather than the first. 

I know we were burned with Mephisto, but surely a Kang cameo has to be somewhat likely? One of the geezers in the TVA animated video even looked a bit like Jonathan Majors...and I wonder whether that big war that was shown might not have actually happened yet (time works differently here yada yada yada). 

I really enjoyed it, but then I'm a sucker for these 'massive overarching bureaucracy controls everything' type shows/films, going right back to A Matter of Life and Death. Even slightly rubbish ones like The Adjustment Bureau.

Chuck in a cool future-retro vibe and I'm fully on board

Enjoyed Loki last night. I'd say possibly the weakest debut episode of these newest shows though. The aesthetic was very cool, really interested in the general premise and where we're going, but the execution of it all was a bit so-so for me. Just felt like a few scenes were overly long and dialogue heavy. To be clear, I very much appreciate what they're going for in the whole psychoanalysis of Loki and I'm generally not a huge action guy, but it did feel to me like some scenes went on a touch too long and started to lose the emotion. Definitely here for Owen Wilson though - he was giving me Bill Pullman vibes from Sinner.