Marvel shows & spoilers

FloorFiller

3 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

I'd rather Marvel pick someone lesser known

To be fair Marvel very rarely cast bona fide A-listers. RDJ was considered washed up, Evans, Hemsworth, Holland, Ruffalo, Hiddelstone, Pratt all became bigger after and because of Marvel. You're more likely to see a bigger name turn up as a one off villain (Cate Blanchett for instance). One of the best things about the MCU is how consistently good their casting has been.

***Possible exceptions are Scarlett Johannsen was already on the cusp of superstardom and SLJ, and that's because they basically wanted their Nick Fury to be Samuel L Jackson.

On 2/20/2021 at 12:02 AM, vintagelaureate said:

I think Billy and Tommy will, somehow, transition to the real world. In the comics, they are fragments of Mephisto but Agatha is heavily involved too.

Mephisto is where my mind has been going as well, as that would tee up with both Wanda and Dr Strange.  Bit of a long shot, but there was also a thread in the original Secret Wars where Mephisto messed with the Thing as well, which could tie in the FF. I did initially wonder if they were going to go down the road of Wanda properly losing it and leading to the whole House of M storyline, but that might be thinking too many steps ahead.

Either way WV is proper good. The light-heartedness of the show formats it references just grinds  so badly against so much being wrong in the world she's created, you just can't get comfortable. And as I think has already been said elsewhere, reintroducing Darcy was a great touch. One of the best things about the Thor films for me, love Kat Dennings.

And just to tack on as well, I'm another one that remembers Rambeau as Capt Marvel. She had a few run ins with Nebula as well, so be interesting to see whether that becomes a thing at all.

Thinking more about all this and I think this show is setting up Mephisto as a multi film villain, featuring in Spider-Man 3 and Doctor Strange if not more.

There’s a story in the comics where Peter makes a deal with Mephisto to save Aunt May. I think that’s really likely to be featured in the new Spider-Man given Strange’s involvement and the way WV has gone, and he obviously makes a tonne of sense for Doctor Strange 2 with perhaps that film culminating this as a trilogy of sorts. Might be the new tactic for the MCU moving forward to have smaller story arcs across a handful of shows/movies than a mammoth 20+ film thing. 

13 hours ago, jparx said:

Thinking more about all this and I think this show is setting up Mephisto as a multi film villain, featuring in Spider-Man 3 and Doctor Strange if not more.

There’s a story in the comics where Peter makes a deal with Mephisto to save Aunt May. I think that’s really likely to be featured in the new Spider-Man given Strange’s involvement and the way WV has gone, and he obviously makes a tonne of sense for Doctor Strange 2 with perhaps that film culminating this as a trilogy of sorts. Might be the new tactic for the MCU moving forward to have smaller story arcs across a handful of shows/movies than a mammoth 20+ film thing. 

I think people are getting carried away with Doctor Strange being in Spider Man, I remember how people were expecting him to be in Ragnarok when he only popped up for a min. I expect the same to happen in Spider Man, pops up goes wibbly wobbly timey wimey so Spider Man knows what's going on and then goes away.

One More Day was more about correcting how shit Spider Man became and yet they still didn't fix that rubbish with Gwen Stacey and The Green Goblin having an affair and secret kids. With Marvel having so many great stories to cherry pick from I'd hope they adapt the good ones, I'd love to see something like The Superior Spider-Man or Kraven's Last Hunt.

10 minutes ago, jump said:

I think people are getting carried away with Doctor Strange being in Spider Man, I remember how people were expecting him to be in Ragnarok when he only popped up for a min. I expect the same to happen in Spider Man, pops up goes wibbly wobbly timey wimey so Spider Man knows what's going on and then goes away.

One More Day was more about correcting how shit Spider Man became and yet they still didn't fix that rubbish with Gwen Stacey and The Green Goblin having an affair and secret kids. With Marvel having so many great stories to cherry pick from I'd hope they adapt the good ones, I'd love to see something like The Superior Spider-Man or Kraven's Last Hunt.

I’m sure it’s been more or less confirmed that he’s gonna act as the ‘mentor’ figure to Peter like Iron Man in Homecoming and Happy in Far From Home so I expect he’ll be in a sizeable amount of the film, especially if it’s gonna focus on the multiverse as is rumoured.

But I agree that I’d love to see a version of Kraven’s last hunt on screen, and I’m pretty convinced that that was the original plan what with how FFH ended, but I also know Sony are doing their villain films and Kraven was rumoured to be one of them so they might have fucked that idea up (although some dude who usually gets good MCU info did say he’s heard Kraven is part of the third film so fingers crossed).

45 minutes ago, jump said:

Well it seems pretty likely there’s going to be a multiverse aspect to the new film with Electro and Octopus, so I think Strange will play a fairly pivotal role in the film, even if his screen time isn’t massive. I’d imagine a similar role as Stark in Homecoming as Floorfiller says.

There are so many different directions they can go with the upcoming films. With the reset after Endgame it makes it really exciting. I just lean towards the One More Day story featuring in Spider-Man given the pieces they seem to be setting up as I mentioned (Peter’s identity now being compromised as well). The beauty of Marvel is they have a shit tonne of material to draw from so they can tease going one way and end up somewhere totally different, and it’ll probably still be satisfying.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

I’m sure it’s been more or less confirmed that he’s gonna act as the ‘mentor’ figure to Peter like Iron Man in Homecoming and Happy in Far From Home so I expect he’ll be in a sizeable amount of the film, especially if it’s gonna focus on the multiverse as is rumoured.

But I agree that I’d love to see a version of Kraven’s last hunt on screen, and I’m pretty convinced that that was the original plan what with how FFH ended, but I also know Sony are doing their villain films and Kraven was rumoured to be one of them so they might have fucked that idea up (although some dude who usually gets good MCU info did say he’s heard Kraven is part of the third film so fingers crossed).

Wasn't the whole point of Far From Home him maturing beyond the need of a mentor? I imagine he'll need lots of help if he has to navigate multiverse stuff but I dunno if he needs another Tony Stank.

8 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Wasn't the whole point of Far From Home him maturing beyond the need of a mentor? I imagine he'll need lots of help if he has to navigate multiverse stuff but I dunno if he needs another Tony Stank.

Yeah that was my take on Far From Home too and besides he can't be the kid hero forever, it's one of the things that bugged me about the other Spider Man films that the 30 something leads were playing teenagers. With Tom Holland now being cast as a leading man it will look odd if they are trying to keep him as a kid who needs a parent still.

5 minutes ago, jump said:

Yeah that was my take on Far From Home too and besides he can't be the kid hero forever, it's one of the things that bugged me about the other Spider Man films that the 30 something leads were playing teenagers. With Tom Holland now being cast as a leading man it will look odd if they are trying to keep him as a kid who needs a parent still.

He's still only young though. He was what, 16 in Homecoming? 17 in FFH? Looks like the next one will follow on directly from FFH so he's still technically a child...

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

He's still only young though. He was what, 16 in Homecoming? 17 in FFH? Looks like the next one will follow on directly from FFH so he's still technically a child...

There's a difference between being treated like a child and being child though. If he can travel across space, be an Avenger, save the day multiple times and all that then why does he need a parent figure to hold his hand still?

4 minutes ago, jump said:

There's a difference between being treated like a child and being child though. If he can travel across space, be an Avenger, save the day multiple times and all that then why does he need a parent figure to hold his hand still?

Isn't that the point of Peter Parker? Underneath all the amazing powers and world saving antics he's still just an awkward teenager...

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Isn't that the point of Peter Parker? Underneath all the amazing powers and world saving antics he's still just an awkward teenager...

It was more that he was a relatable everyman than a teenager specificlly but it's not The Simpsons were they stay that age forever, he hasn't even been a teenager in the comics for decades now and left High School around issue 20 something in the 60s.

8 minutes ago, jump said:

It was more that he was a relatable everyman than a teenager specificlly but it's not The Simpsons were they stay that age forever, he hasn't even been a teenager in the comics for decades now and left High School around issue 20 something in the 60s.

True, but everything that has happened in the MCU to him has only really taken place across a year, two most (blip excluded).

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

True, but everything that has happened in the MCU to him has only really taken place across a year, two most (blip excluded).

That's actually about the same length Doctor Strange has had his powers for too which makes it's odd he's a mentoring now. If it was somone like say Falcon or Captain Marvel who have had years of experience doing shit before becoming supes it would make more sense to me.

2 minutes ago, jump said:

That's actually about the same length Doctor Strange has had his powers for too which makes it's odd he's a mentoring now. If it was somone like say Falcon or Captain Marvel who have had years of experience doing shit before becoming supes it would make more sense to me.

Yeah but the whole point of Doctor Strange is that he’s all knowledgable and powerful - that’s kind of his deal and the whole point of his first film. So combined with the multiverse being a big part of his second film and probably leading right in to SM3, it makes sense that he’s the one guiding Peter through it all. 

4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah but the whole point of Doctor Strange is that he’s all knowledgable and powerful - that’s kind of his deal and the whole point of his first film. So combined with the multiverse being a big part of his second film and probably leading right in to SM3, it makes sense that he’s the one guiding Peter through it all. 

But guilding and mentoring are two different things though. I am also pretty sure he's not the Sorcerer Supreme yet and even made a joke about how he's still ignorant at the end of the first film.

I'm pretty sure Spider Man 3 is before Doctor Strange 2 so it would be the other way round of Spidey leading into Doc Strange.

Just now, jump said:

But guilding and mentoring are two different things though. I am also pretty sure he's not the Sorcerer Supreme yet and even made a joke about how he's still ignorant at the end of the first film.

I'm pretty sure Spider Man 3 is before Doctor Strange 2 so it would be the other way round of Spidey leading into Doc Strange.

Ah you might be right about the timelines as they’re all gonna kind of fall on top of each other now following Endgame, with Ant Man 3 presumably also being multiverse related if Kang is in it.

But yeah, mentoring/guiding - he’ll be giving Peter pointers either way. 

I’m mega curious how SM3 is gonna fit in all of the so far announced characters and plots as it sounds like it’s stuffed to the brim. Hopefully not a repeat of our previous SM3.

15 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Ah you might be right about the timelines as they’re all gonna kind of fall on top of each other now following Endgame, with Ant Man 3 presumably also being multiverse related if Kang is in it.

But yeah, mentoring/guiding - he’ll be giving Peter pointers either way. 

I’m mega curious how SM3 is gonna fit in all of the so far announced characters and plots as it sounds like it’s stuffed to the brim. Hopefully not a repeat of our previous SM3.

I'm taking Marvel's Spider Man 3 is gonna be more like the animated Spider Verse film than Raimi's Spider Man 3 of overstuffed characters.

It seems odd that they have got Sam Raimi to direct Doctor Strange 2 when they have a Spider Man movie on the go at the same time. Especially when it felt like Spider Man needed a bigger shake up than Doctor Strange. Speaking of, the director of Spider Man is also gonna be the director of Fantastic Four so with him busy with Spidey at the moment it makes think he's too busy to deal with the FF casting and development right now which is why there wont be any of them popping up in WandaVision or other things right now.

Edited by jump

2 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

I noticed cinemas can reopen on 17 May. Black Widow was scheduled to open just before then. Do you reckon there’s a chance it might be the first big release back? A Marvel film might entice people out.

Yeah I was thinking/hoping this would be the case, although think it may largely depend on how America is doing as I doubt they’ll release it here if they don’t think the States are ready yet.

4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah I was thinking/hoping this would be the case, although think it may largely depend on how America is doing as I doubt they’ll release it here if they don’t think the States are ready yet.

My mate works for picturehouse travelling the country fixing the projectors (old and new) and he's told me that they are expecting minimal new releases until USA and China get their house in order. Re black widow i wonder if the appetite for wandavision (see disney+ crashing last Friday) would lead them to release it on there like they did Mulan?

Edited by eddie_corrigan

3 minutes ago, eddie_corrigan said:

My mate works for picturehouse travelling the country fixing the projectors (old and new) and he's told me that they are expecting minimal new releases until USA and China get their house in order. Re black widow i wonder if the appetite for wandavision (see disney+ crashing last Friday) would lead them to release it on there like they did Mulan?

I believe they’ve said quite recently that they don’t want to put it on Disney+ and would rather wait it out, in some part due to how badly Mulan did. I think it would inevitably end up with a lot of people illegally streaming rather than forking out to watch it so they’d rather just wait a bit longer and ensure a profit.

Edited by FloorFiller