Who saw Pulp’s legendary 1995 Pyramid Stage set?

PulpProject

First time posting here so please forgive me if I’m in the wrong forum/making some huge accidental faux pas!

I’m a writer working on a book about the 1990s, and I’m trying to find and interview some people to interview who caught Pulp’s 1995 headline slot (that Saturday where they replaced the Stone Roses at short notice). It’s one of those amazing moments in cultural history - massive for Britpop, obviously, and for a band who had been around for years before this set and Common People launched them to stratospheric heights.

It’s regularly cited as one of the greatest Glasto performances ever and I’d love to talk to anyone who saw the set in person that night. 

It’s a while back now but I know people on this forum have long memories! Anyone interested in talking to me? Drop me a line here or in a private message?

• Upvote 2

I am with @CaledonianGonzo I'm afraid. I remember parts of it, bits I missed as Mrs Q had to chat at that point and could not stop 🙂 I remember laughing and dancing and very very Good times. Jarvis was on form, and his comment on his gold tent had me smiling away. Common People went off and what a crowd.

6 hours ago, PulpProject said:

First time posting here so please forgive me if I’m in the wrong forum/making some huge accidental faux pas!

I’m a writer working on a book about the 1990s, and I’m trying to find and interview some people to interview who caught Pulp’s 1995 headline slot (that Saturday where they replaced the Stone Roses at short notice). It’s one of those amazing moments in cultural history - massive for Britpop, obviously, and for a band who had been around for years before this set and Common People launched them to stratospheric heights.

It’s regularly cited as one of the greatest Glasto performances ever and I’d love to talk to anyone who saw the set in person that night. 

It’s a while back now but I know people on this forum have long memories! Anyone interested in talking to me? Drop me a line here or in a private message?

I didn’t go to Glasto 1995. But I was living behind Leeds University Union in 1995. I heard them perform once. I heard Pulp’s sound check, gig and support act. I liked their audience. They were really sweet. They all seemed to file in, in an orderly manner. They then cheered, Jarvis, on and then left. 

It looked like Jarvis knew them all. This is in contrast to Oasis. Liam cheerers were different. They didn’t know Liam that well, but thought he was great!!! They were both fun gigs to listen too!!!😑

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Think I was watching Goldie at the other/nme stage with about 3 other people, was that that year? Someone I was with thought it would be cool, but obviously no one else did.

I always get confused about the Pulp set. I always think Oasis headlined in 1995. I don’t know why.

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

They did on the Friday.

I get very confused about gig dates during that era. In 1996 Radio 1 used to play sets from Leeds Town and Country Club. All the hecklers, recorded in the sets, would go past our block of flats, after the gig.

This meant that you would be listening to someone calling Damon a c****, on the radio. Then an hour later, someone would walk past, declaring that Jarvis Cocker was a T*****. It was quite a cool effect!!!

Thanks all, lovely to hear all these. The number of people who seem to have a formative memory that somehow involves Pulp seems unusually high compared to other bands, I reckon... 

4 hours ago, fred quimby said:

I am with @CaledonianGonzo I'm afraid. I remember parts of it, bits I missed as Mrs Q had to chat at that point and could not stop 🙂 I remember laughing and dancing and very very Good times. Jarvis was on form, and his comment on his gold tent had me smiling away. Common People went off and what a crowd.

Definitely sure? Seems like you remember Jarvis’s chat very well!

I didn't bother as I don't like Pulp all that much, so we sat around our tent, which was on the little hill right in front of the Pyramid.

Anyway, what I can tell you is that when they were on, there were quite a lot of disgruntled Stone Roses fans sitting around their tents/campfires singing roses songs (bit sad really!).

Edited by Homer

1 hour ago, Homer said:

Anyway, what I can tell you is that when they were on, there were quite a lot of disgruntled Stone Roses fans sitting around their tents/campfires singing roses songs (bit sad really!).

Some things never change, they were still there a couple of years ago when everyone got excited they were reforming. Probably the same fans.

1 hour ago, Homer said:

I didn't bother as I don't like Pulp all that much, so we sat around our tent, which was on the little hill right in front of the Pyramid.

The Roses are one of those bands that seem to keep people waiting for shows. It’s a nineties thing with bands. I believe, anyway.

Radiohead always stall for 2 or 3 years, with things. Oasis just break up!! And Pulp disappear!! I became a Kasabian fan, for a while. You get loads of gigs with Kasabian!!! That’s because their a 00’s band.

42 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

So far this thread is full of people who either weren't there, were there but didn't go, or did go but cannot remember.

Good luck with the book!

I think the fact that I can distinctly remember not going officially makes me the winner.

Edited by Homer

I was there, having gone under a fence that afternoon, I was a mess it was awesome.

Memories are vague because I was a Glasto virgin and the whole thing was way beyond my expectations. My mate got sketchy in the dance tent earlier so we found ourselves at the main stage by accident (no programme, map or owt) then I got my own sketch on because there was a fight just in front of us (not sure if before or during) and in my addled state I became convinced it was because somebody was there without a ticket. 

I loved the set; I only knew Common People from the radio but it lead to a long time love of Pulp as a band.

About all I've got to say really, apart from one more thing... the singalong for Common People gave me a buzz that I've been trying to repeat ever since leading to loads of gigs and festys, my first proper (non-pub) gig was Pink Floyd the year before which was amazing but a world away from that show so in that respect it is not unreasonable to say that Pulp at Glasto in 95 literally changed my life!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Homer said:

How close to the festival did Pulp get announced as the replacement for The Stone Roses?

On a slightly different point I always thought it was an opportunity missed when The Stone Roses didn't headline in 2017 at the end of that final reunion tour.

2 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

How close to the festival did Pulp get announced as the replacement for The Stone Roses?

On a slightly different point I always thought it was an opportunity missed when The Stone Roses didn't headline in 2017 at the end of that final reunion tour.

It was obvs a long time ago, but from my memory it was very last minute (that being part of the myth in that Pulp weren't even really 'ready' for it, in that they played a load of stuff no-one had even heard yet).

The official reason was that Squire broke his collarbone mountain biking (the rumour being that he might have had 'brown' problems other than the stains on his clothes from said 'accident').

19 minutes ago, Homer said:

It was obvs a long time ago, but from my memory it was very last minute (that being part of the myth in that Pulp weren't even really 'ready' for it, in that they played a load of stuff no-one had even heard yet).

The official reason was that Squire broke his collarbone mountain biking (the rumour being that he might have had 'brown' problems other than the stains on his clothes from said 'accident').

I was only 13-14 at the time but I recall watching the C4 coverage and being suprised that a band that had only really made a name for themselves a year or so beforehand, were brought in as replacements with only one or two well known songs!