Jump to content

Glasto politics: Non covid news


zahidf
 Share

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Really good that.

I wanted Starmer to do well, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt for a while now, but he's really lost me in the last few days, culminating with his pathetic reaction to the Hancock situation this morning. 

He talks about being a man of values, well it's time to exhibit some principles which aren't the result of a focus group.

Ah, this thread...

I'm still giving Starmer the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he is doing the focus group thing at the moment, see what the public actually want...and maybe the public are cutting the govt more slack than usual at moment and want the opposition to be more constructive rather than oppose...and I'm not sure what is right....but labour have got such a massive mountain to climb if they're going to have any chance of winning the next election maybe they're going to have to do more focus group and polling led stuff like this, some of which is going to fuck off a lot of labour members/activists and supporters, and may just backfire in the end anyway. It worked so well for Cummings with brexit and Bojo then maybe labour need to try the same sort of thing. I think labour are fucked personally, whoever they put in charge..

Edited by steviewevie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Legislation is going through Parliament to repeal the Fixed Term Parliaments Act, giving Johnson (or any PM) an easier ability to call a General Election at their choosing.

Perhaps more tellingly, it also moves back the latest potential date of the next General Election - under the FTPA it'd be the first Thursday in May 2024 - with the act repealed they can go up to a full 5 years so December 2024.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, incident said:

Perhaps more tellingly, it also moves back the latest potential date of the next General Election - under the FTPA it'd be the first Thursday in May 2024 - with the act repealed they can go up to a full 5 years so December 2024.

Good point, I didn’t think of that. Although I can only see the election being pushed back if the Tories are massively behind in the polls. For all it’s flaws the FTPA worked in the latter half of 2019. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Good point, I didn’t think of that. Although I can only see the election being pushed back if the Tories are massively behind in the polls. For all it’s flaws the FTPA worked in the latter half of 2019. 

or brought forward so they can get an election out the way before some very unpopular economic decisions have to be made.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

or brought forward so they can get an election out the way before some very unpopular economic decisions have to be made.

Yeah, that was one of the reasons Clegg wanted the FTPA, so to stop a PM using the ability to call elections as a play thing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/21/2021 at 6:55 AM, blutarsky said:

There are many more like my Dad. Angry men who don’t really know what they’re angry about, but nevertheless blame others for it.

 

On 2/21/2021 at 6:55 AM, blutarsky said:

almost seems like a superpower to be as certain as angry men like him are. So that’s why I feel we’re fucked as a nation. Johnson and his cronies could achieve anything they want as long as they continue to tap into the power bank of angry white *whatever it is*

 

21 hours ago, eFestivals said:

around 10 years before the EU ref I got into a bit of a discussion about 'the state of the country' with a neighbour at the local. He told me with quite a straight face that his friends were moving to Spain because "England's changed".


this resonates so strongly. Fortunately it’s not my dad, as he is dead. But I know so many people, male and female, who are angry and cannnot articulate why or what it is that causes the strong feeling.  I believe as Neil hints, that a lot is to do with a longing for a time where they felt they understood the world, and they felt safe.  Safe as in they thought they knew why world and local events happened and that they had some influence, safe as in they knew where they fit into the hierarchy. Now a lot of their experience here feels out of their control and that people they don’t know (hence don’t like) are making decisions or are perceived as getting an advantage over them. They want to go back to a time where they knew where they fit in, transparent and accepted class hierarchies, smoking in pubs and news papers bringing you the news in a coherent and curated way. A lot of these people live in the so called red wall seats, and they voted Tory out of desperation. They feel no body (politicians) is listening, no body understands them. I empathise with them, I don’t agree with them, but if they are ignored there are so many of them that they can determine where this country goes politically.    They gave us Brexit and Spaffer. How this significant minority of the electorate votes will determine our destiny. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, chuckles07 said:

this resonates so strongly. Fortunately it’s not my dad, as he is dead. But I know so many people, male and female, who are angry and cannnot articulate why or what it is that causes the strong feeling.  I believe as Neil hints, that a lot is to do with a longing for a time where they felt they understood the world, and they felt safe.  Safe as in they thought they knew why world and local events happened and that they had some influence, safe as in they knew where they fit into the hierarchy. Now a lot of their experience here feels out of their control and that people they don’t know (hence don’t like) are making decisions or are perceived as getting an advantage over them. They want to go back to a time where they knew where they fit in, transparent and accepted class hierarchies, smoking in pubs and news papers bringing you the news in a coherent and curated way. A lot of these people live in the so called red wall seats, and they voted Tory out of desperation. They feel no body (politicians) is listening, no body understands them. I empathise with them, I don’t agree with them, but if they are ignored there are so many of them that they can determine where this country goes politically.    They gave us Brexit and Spaffer. How this significant minority of the electorate votes will determine our destiny. 

Take Back Control.

(and US equivalent...Make America Great Again);

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Take Back Control.

(and US equivalent...Make America Great Again);

Yep. And both slogans are empty and meaningless when it comes to reality. But they are aspirations that have emotional meanings that go way beyond logic. ‘Twas ever thus. And until ‘the left’ address this it’s fucked. Trump got voted out because he went too far even for Americans, but more people voted for him than any losing candidate ever.  Spaffer is a bit more nuanced (impossible not to be I guess 😊) and the Tory party has a bit more grip than the Republican Party so I don’t think they will make the same mistake. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, chuckles07 said:

Yep. And both slogans are empty and meaningless when it comes to reality. But they are aspirations that have emotional meanings that go way beyond logic. ‘Twas ever thus. And until ‘the left’ address this it’s fucked. Trump got voted out because he went too far even for Americans, but more people voted for him than any losing candidate ever.  Spaffer is a bit more nuanced (impossible not to be I guess 😊) and the Tory party has a bit more grip than the Republican Party so I don’t think they will make the same mistake. 

tricky thing for labour is appealing to both the red wall brexity voter, and the remainy liberal metropolitan/cosmopolitan voters. Corbyn did well with the latter, not so much the former...Starmer trying to balance it out a bit but still probably not enough.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dunno if anybody saw Labour’s latest omnishambles:

After Liverpool labour nominated a shortlist of three candidates for the liverpool mayoralty, including the favourite, current serving lord Mayor and long standing city councillor Anne Rothery, the national executive committee decided to reopen nominations and invited the three nominations from liverpool labour not to reapply. Needless to say, none of the three were Blairites.

More interference in party democracy from a crooked regime.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Dunno if anybody saw Labour’s latest omnishambles:

After Liverpool labour nominated a shortlist of three candidates for the liverpool mayoralty, including the favourite, current serving lord Mayor and long standing city councillor Anne Rothery, the national executive committee decided to reopen nominations and invited the three nominations from liverpool labour not to reapply. Needless to say, none of the three were Blairites.

More interference in party democracy from a crooked regime.

Because of course the Corbyn regime made no attempts to manipulate candidates to their liking...?

It's been happening in Labour since at least 1980 by all factions. Probably earlier too tho I'm not old enough to know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

Because of course the Corbyn regime made no attempts to manipulate candidates to their liking...?

It's been happening in Labour since at least 1980 by all factions. Probably earlier too tho I'm not old enough to know.


I don’t recall anything other than an advance in party democracy and an increase in the power of individual members votes under the absolute boy 

Edited by mattiloy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mattiloy said:

Dunno if anybody saw Labour’s latest omnishambles:

After Liverpool labour nominated a shortlist of three candidates for the liverpool mayoralty, including the favourite, current serving lord Mayor and long standing city councillor Anne Rothery, the national executive committee decided to reopen nominations and invited the three nominations from liverpool labour not to reapply. Needless to say, none of the three were Blairites.

More interference in party democracy from a crooked regime.

She would've been the first black mayor of a city too, insane decision by "bridge the divide" Starmer 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, mattiloy said:


I don’t recall anything other than an advance in party democracy and an increase in the power of individual members votes under the absolute boy 

As it's the marginalised who make the noise maybe it didn't reach your echo chamber? 

If you're expecting anything different from Labour anytime soon no matter who is in charge you didn't understand the party you joined. 

(tho nothing peculiar to Labour, same in all parties. Politics has want of control built-in) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

Because of course the Corbyn regime made no attempts to manipulate candidates to their liking...?

It's been happening in Labour since at least 1980 by all factions. Probably earlier too tho I'm not old enough to know.

Compare the media coverage- another shamelessly corrupt element. If its the left wing trying to rig or get shot of a candidate, then howls of outrage and declarations of Stalinism by the bbc, or commentariat. If it’s the right of the party doing it, mainly silence. This has also gotten worse the last few years- remember the stink Blair got for trying to get shot of Livingston and replace him with Dobson? Doubt that would happen nowadays.

All this manipulation- It’s why they usually end up with such crap candidates, just constant focus on rigging and factional shenanigans rather than finding the best, most able candidates. Like I said in the past, Labour has been the only org I’ve been a member of that treats you with such contempt, just corrupt and inept on nearly every level. Eventually they alienate even their most loyal voters.

Edited by Mr.Tease
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...