news & politics:discussion

zahidf

On 7/16/2022 at 2:18 PM, Neil said:

not the first freeport in the uk.

Freeports won't happen. If they were such a fantastic thing we wouldn't have given up the ones we used to have. 

They only get mentioned as one of the fantasy benefits because there are no actual benefits.

Both these debates were an opportunity for Tom and Kemi to break through and get a head of steam going behind their campaigns. It didn't work other than give them a good chance of cabinet jobs.

It was also for Rishi to lose and I don't think he slipped up.

It's all down to whether Team Truss has done enough to get into the final two and I think it's likely, I don't think PM had a very good showing.

So, boringly, I reckon it'll be Rishi into the final two and either Truss or PM. I don't think the debates have done anything to change the outlook other than show us that NONE of them are suitable to sort the country out.

General Election please.

2 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

Both these debates were an opportunity for Tom and Kemi to break through and get a head of steam going behind their campaigns. It didn't work other than give them a good chance of cabinet jobs.

It's all down to whether Team Truss has done enough to get into the final two and I think it's likely, I don't think PM had a very good showing.

So, boringly, I reckon it'll be Rishi into the final two and either Truss or PM. I don't think the debates have done anything to change the outlook other than show us that NONE of them are suitable to sort the country out.

General Election please.

I don't think this debate will change much, but as you say it highlights how ill-equipped they are to lead the country. Labour are the big winners here.

23 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

General Election please.

yeah, starting to think it may end up Truss vs Sunak. 

Bring Back Boris.

15 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Faisal Islam writing a thread about some of the economic arguments in the debate...

boe has fucked up its inflation remit,it  was obvious after tGFC that inflation would rocket

5 minutes ago, Neil said:

boe has fucked up its inflation remit,it  was obvious after tGFC that inflation would rocket

they should have raised interest rates earlier? I'm not sure about independence of boe, but I'm also not sure if there was much that could be done to prevent the inflation we're seeing.

34 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

How come they got 2 prime time TV debates when there's only about 150,000 people who decide who our next PM is?

three, theres another to come.

1 hour ago, Punksnotdead said:

How come they got 2 prime time TV debates when there's only about 150,000 people who decide who our next PM is?

To give the illusion of democracy and to get the public used to seeing the new face, it's incredible so many take an interest when nothing will change,