news & politics:discussion

zahidf

39 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Sunak is only about 20 mps from a guaranteed final. I suspect he may have votes to lend. May not be an issue if Badenoch votes go to Truss.

I see this happening too. Sunak will easily beat Truss if it's them 2 in the final round.

48 minutes ago, lost said:

Best thing Truss could do is pull out. If its a choice from the "right" of the party between Truss and Badenoch I haven't a clue why anyone would go for Truss. She finished bottom of the Opinium post survey, the stuff about increasing our debt to Japan/U.S levels was idiotic. Japan is net exporter with an older population who buy their own countries debt, The US is the world reserve currency and so countries have to hold dollars for trade. The whole reason this commodity bull market is hurting more than the last is because the pound is down under $1.20 and she's wanting to devalue it further.

Yes Truss is shit, but Badenoch is inexperienced, and too mixed up in US style culture war stuff. Not sure either will end up in last two.

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Yes Truss is shit, but Badenoch is inexperienced, and too mixed up in US style culture war stuff. Not sure either will end up in last two.

Might be an advantage though who knows? If the general public see both parties as identical economically then the culture stuff at least gives them some sort of choice come election time. The Red wall may vote Kemi over Starmer if they have a Owen Jones type opinion of Starmer just being another Tory. 

3 minutes ago, lost said:

Might be an advantage though who knows? If the general public see both parties as identical economically then the culture stuff at least gives them some sort of choice come election time. The Red wall may vote Kemi over Starmer if they have a Owen Jones type opinion of Starmer just being another Tory. 

we'll see...not sure they'll like her ideas about a smaller state...and I'm not sure if gender issues or statues are as big an issue as some think it is.

After last night's performance I don't think Mordaunt is as big a worry for labour as some think. She didn't seem that clued up. Anyway, whoever takes over it's going to be a very difficult winter with some big decisions needed, and any honeymoon period may not last that long, especially with tories so divided.

I'm definitely not on board with hoping that Truss wins as that is good for labour. Firstly because I am not confident at all that labour would win against any of them, but also because it means government will move the country further to the right, and inevitably labour will shift to the right also as we have seen in the past. I definitely do not want her as PM. Not that enamoured with Sunak either as he really isn't from the left of the party, nor is Mordaunt, but that is where we are, and they are both better than Truss in my opinion.

As for labour, they can't keep hoping that tories continue to fuck up, they have to somehow made themselves heard above the noise and offer something new and positive, but that also sounds possible and realistic because unfortunately there is still not a lot of trust for labour with the economy.

• Upvote 1