news & politics:discussion

zahidf

4 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

Mordaunt is now evens favourite to win. Is Sunak fucked?

Well, supposedly she's fave amongst party members...but they will be campaigning over the summer so who knows...

Also, she hasn't made final two yet. Could still be her, Truss or even Tugenhadt or Badenoch. Maybe Sunak peaked too early.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

If it is Mordaunt (or any of them actually) and she does get a bounce in the polls and tories get a consistent lead, she might be tempted to call an early election.

Can't see it myself. Her best hope is a "mild" recession from breaking the back of inflation and then some sort of bounce coming out of that though lots of if's and but's.

6 minutes ago, lost said:

Can't see it myself. Her best hope is a "mild" recession from breaking the back of inflation and then some sort of bounce coming out of that though lots of if's and but's.

how does she or anyone break inflation? they need to just wait until global supply side issues get sorted out. Best they can do is provide enough support to those on lower incomes,

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

how does she or anyone break inflation? 

reduce demand or strengthen the pound. It wont be her it'll be central banks.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

but main drivers are energy prices and food, and unless Russia - Ukraine war stops any time soon can't see that being resolved.

Oils already under $100.

30 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

This speaker is so shit. I feel like he has barely any authority.

Looked like supply teaching year 11 on their last day of term. 

Sucked up to Johnson too. 

Edited by blutarsky

19 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

This is a good prediction of how things might go:

yes...cost of living is going to hurt...but Mordaunt says she will cut VAT on fuel which will help I guess...but will probably need to go further with benefits and caps etc...and maybe Sunak would do similar...I mean anyone who comes in is going to have to do something if they want any chance of winning the next election.

Hopefully a new leader will help move brexit shite on a bit so can actually start working constructively with EU...and maybe have to bite the bullet and align to some EU rules to ease trade and reduce checks needed between GB/NI/EU. We can't go on like this..it's stupid.

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I think its more you to be honest.

The SNP and Alba are wreckers...  Should be hung for treason. 

I didn't even see what they did and I'm not commenting on that. When they went to the house on BBC2 he was struggling to get any kind of control with everyone shouting over him. Embarrassing.