news & politics:discussion

zahidf

Just now, steviewevie said:

yeah, they took a gamble on him because they knew he was the best candidate to get brexit done and win an election, and he did deliver both for them...trouble is what came after...

he was prolly the only person to get past the brexit impasse

1 minute ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Secret ballot innit? Makes it extra spicy.

who submits letters is secret too, didn't make extras come out.

He’ll win it easily, won’t he?

Rumours are some of the cabinet/his closest allies have put letters in with no intention to vote just to preserve his role for another year.

Can you imagine what he’ll get up to once he has the security of another 12 months in the role.

10 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yes, you have....but this is a warning to try and get MPs to get behind the PMs...but reality is it would be a really stupid thing to do with the current polls showing that even Johnson could lose his seat.

Morale of the story is, I’m very wise and ahead of the game 😉

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

I still have little confidence Starmer will win - simply no personality and that matters in the modern politics.

everyone knew he was dull before they elected him leader, they also knew that other candidates had bigger flaws.

7 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

He is likely to win but the margin of victory matters I would suggest.  if its anything above 40% then surely he isn't carrying the confidence of the party in reality.

Mogg says even a win by 1 vote is enough for him to stay

This:

3 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

He is likely to win but the margin of victory matters I would suggest.  if its anything above 40% then surely he isn't carrying the confidence of the party in reality.

And it's a pretty bleak schedule ahead for him if he wins: by-elections, standards committee (or whatever it's called) with just enough time in between to make sure the issue of him resigning will be a question that will never leave the news cycle. He's a busted flush.

Can't remember who said it earlier, but I heard on the radio this morning how Brady has previously said that the '22 can change the rules on length of time before next VONC, so doesn't have to be a year.

The shit for the tories will run and run as long as he stays at the helm and personally I think the booing at the jubilee events this weekend is likely to have been a tipping point for many. Mogg can say what he likes and it's usually wonderfully counter productive and has probably increased the rebel vote by 10%, so I'll be optimistic and go with 140 votes.