news & politics:discussion

zahidf

Thoughts on this then @steviewevie with your average tory crystal ball hat on, why does Shapps keep coming out with so much shite time and again when he himself is now disappearing into the massive hole he's digging:

"I’m still not sure they’ve realised how much trouble they’re in. If you look at the polls, and applied a simple uniform swing, they’d just lose a few seats, like Esher and Wimbledon. But if you look at the underlying data from the locals they could lose many more on the kind of swings we saw in North Sydney and Melbourne. These include previously rock solid Tory seats like Jeremy Hunt’s in South West Surrey, or Grant Shapps’ in Welyn Hatfield."

https://samf.substack.com/p/a-warning-from-oz?sd=fs&s=r

If they do stick with Johnson into the next election then it's going to make for THE best election night viewing since Portillo and Mellor lost their seats in '97, big names in safe seats will be dropping like flies.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

Thoughts on this then @steviewevie with your average tory crystal ball hat on, why does Shapps keep coming out with so much shite time and again when he himself is now disappearing into the massive hole he's digging:

"I’m still not sure they’ve realised how much trouble they’re in. If you look at the polls, and applied a simple uniform swing, they’d just lose a few seats, like Esher and Wimbledon. But if you look at the underlying data from the locals they could lose many more on the kind of swings we saw in North Sydney and Melbourne. These include previously rock solid Tory seats like Jeremy Hunt’s in South West Surrey, or Grant Shapps’ in Welyn Hatfield."

https://samf.substack.com/p/a-warning-from-oz?sd=fs&s=r

If they do stick with Johnson into the next election then it's going to make for THE best election night viewing since Portillo and Mellor lost their seats in '97, big names in safe seats will be dropping like flies.

yeah, and I'm sure many MPs will be worried, so maybe they will look to kick him out sometime this year if by-elections results are bad for them and polls don't improve. But, at same time next election could be still a few years away, and polls can change.

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, and I'm sure many MPs will be worried, so maybe they will look to kick him out sometime this year if by-elections results are bad for them and polls don't improve. But, at same time next election could be still a few years away, and polls can change.

Peston on the news last night was depressingly kicking that moment down the road to the autumn when the parliamentary standards committee will finally meet, he said they haven't even got a bloody chairman in place yet FFS. Anyway, I can imagine that the tory anti-Johnson mps will look to that as the easiest moment to get rid of him.

Although, there is popcorn comedy gold to be had from watching Johnson slime his way out of that one too. In which case we're back to him leading them into the next election and watching a tsunami of blue seats washed away (if the HoC hasn't burnt down due to cost of living riots before then).

38 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

God, is that it?

So in the last month there has only been one more name added to the list (and probably plenty of the others having recalled their letters). Not even close to a vote is it.

I can see why Peston was downbeat about the prospect of any drama post Gray's report.

33 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

God, is that it?

So in the last month there has only been one more name added to the list (and probably plenty of the others having recalled their letters). Not even close to a vote is it.

I can see why Peston was downbeat about the prospect of any drama post Gray's report.

there will be more that we don't know about...but yeah, 48 is a high number to reach.

Jonathan Ashworth was on the news earlier and was quite restrained about Spaffer’s latest party snaps. Obviously ‘Beer Starmer’ might be hanging over them, but it seems the Labour approach will be focusing on the Tories being distracted when they should be focused on cost of living etc. Not sure what the best approach for them would be?

The best course of action is a public campaign to cancel Christmas spending in order to save money for fuel bills instead. 

Retailers will soon put pressure on the government to make the energy suppliers take the profit loss instead of them.