news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

Here you go.

Incredible for Labour to take these Councils, what a crushing incitement of the Tories.

Yep, nice to wake up to that. Despite my reservations about Starmer, anything that makes maggie turn in her grave is a good thing in my book.

16 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I think I've told you before that I'm in Ealing as you said your sister lived there. The overall council is Labour but our specific ward tends to go Lib Dem with Tories in second, so I stuck with LD. Rupa Huq is our MP so it's a pretty Laboury borough.

Ah yeah that’s it, sorry I forgot.

I’d say this the results so far are pretty much in-line with expectations for Labour although they are making some gains in the red wall vote share and they probably wouldn’t have expected to take Westminster either. 

Ah, okay, on top of losing Westminster and Wandsworth, 300 is an awful number for the tories despite their efforts at expectation management. Losses around that number should keep the pressure on Johnson, should be an entertaining couple of weeks, I'll grab some popcorn.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Ah yeah that’s it, sorry I forgot.

I’d say this the results so far are pretty much in-line with expectations for Labour although they are making some gains in the red wall vote share and they probably wouldn’t have expected to take Westminster either. 

And seems like a good night for Lib Dems and Greens. I really think a coalition might be the only way in 2024 tbh.

10 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

some people seem to think london is just metropolitan elite middle class and the rest of england is salt of the earth working class

It's mad isn't it? There's shitloads of poverty in London and shitloads of rich people outside it.

I'm just going to put this here as I know some of you lot are nice people (not technically on topic but it kind of is in a healthcare funding kind of way...)

One of my best mates is doing a sponsored kitchen bike ride to extend her cancer treatment options. She's been on NHS treatment for two years but there are some drugs that can be accessed privately with the right funds. If anyone can chuck in a quid or two or even just share it far and wide I'd be so grateful:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/bryonys-dont-die-bike-ride

15 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I'm just going to put this here as I know some of you lot are nice people (not technically on topic but it kind of is in a healthcare funding kind of way...)

One of my best mates is doing a sponsored kitchen bike ride to extend her cancer treatment options. She's been on NHS treatment for two years but there are some drugs that can be accessed privately with the right funds. If anyone can chuck in a quid or two or even just share it far and wide I'd be so grateful:

Chipped in. Good luck!

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Done!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I've added a couple of pints worth to the pot. My friend's wife died from bowel cancer last year and I have another friend who has just gone through 8 cycles of chemo drugs to keep it at bay. Hope Bryony has the very best of luck for the future.

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

thought I'd better so you think I am a nice person.