news & politics:discussion

zahidf

10 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Rwanda story all over the front pages tomorrow, no more boring old Ukraine or partygate.

Job done.

It's cumulative though isn't it? There's almost certainly going to be more fines, and this drip feed of info and stories over the last few months is akin to lots of little holes in the boat, rather than one big pluggable one. Hopefully the next one will arrive just as folks go to the polls!

36 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

It's cumulative though isn't it? There's almost certainly going to be more fines, and this drip feed of info and stories over the last few months is akin to lots of little holes in the boat, rather than one big pluggable one. Hopefully the next one will arrive just as folks go to the polls!

yeah, two ways of looking at it I guess...all the delays and drip feeding of this stuff dilutes it so Johnson manages to both survive and also the story becomes unimportant to the public, especially with all the other stuff going on; or as you say cumulative and damage to johnson and govt keeps building and building until something gives.

On 4/15/2022 at 5:37 PM, steviewevie said:

Yes.

But in reality Russia and Nato are not directly fighting, and until that happens it is still a war between Russia and Ukraine only, despite assistance Ukraine is getting from western countries. As well as the actual war there is a massive info/propaganda war going on, and this is part of all that.

Still so uncertain how this ends. Looks like Mariupol will fall completely to Russia, whatever is left of it, and then Russia will pretty much have that complete land bridge from Crimea to Russia...and maybe they will want to negotiate after that...but I just can't see how there can be any negotiations after all that has happened. It could just rumble on and on, and Russia will hope that the west will become more and more divided over these sanctions as starts to hurt western economies.

Tbf I guess that's been a background anxiety ever since this shitshow started. So far, Putin has not quite got the point of deciding the line between NATO and Ukraine is non-existent and that its just cause for launching all out war, more just asking the US not to give Ukraine more weapons or asking Sweden & Finland to cancel their NATO job applications.

Plus yeah, as said, it's part of the same fight for people's attention online that's been working in parallel. 

Exactly what negotiations could be is difficult. Ukraine seems to be saying Mariupol falling would be cause to cancel the peace talks.

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

archbishop being schooled by jacob rees mogg.

Imagine being so entitled you'd have the brass neck to lecture a bishop on morals, especially with some of the shameful policies mogg has voted for. 

It's funny isn't it. The Tories claim to be supporters of all these things such as religion & the rule of law; yet as soon as anything highlights how morally bankrupt they are they quickly turn on them.

I would love to see their reaction if the Queen ever commented on them.

13 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Just like Boris...  Rules don't apply to the ones that make them...

she cant have spaffer out doing her for rule breaking?

13 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Just like Boris...  Rules don't apply to the ones that make them...

My instinct would generally be to go easy on this as it doesn't seem the biggest crime. I however have no doubt that of it was Boris photo without mask in Scotland she would be on full attack.

Edited by pink_triangle

8 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

My instinct would generally be to go easy on this as it doesn't seem the biggest crime. I however have no doubt that of it was Boris photo without mask in Scotland she would be on full attack.

Yeah it isn't the same....but Boris supporters will keep bringing it up like the pic of Starmer having a beer.

Worst one was definitely Prof Ferguson as he was the architect of lockdowns. Boris obviously bad as he implemented them, You can make a case for Sturgeon being bad as she's tried to use covid for political gain. Generally though the biggest issue has been the attitude across the entire political spectrum that the elites are capable of understanding a more nuanced argument of younger people are generally at no risk but you need to be careful around vulnerable people whilst the plebs needed the sledgehammer approach of lockdowns. The worst pictures  came out of I think it was a political event in Belgium or Holland where the politicians were posing for group photos, no masks whilst the staff and waiters around them were all masked.

Edited by lost
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Neil said:

yeah tis, both are cases of a person breaking their own rules.

well...I guess...but looks like Johnson's breach of rules was multiple times, which he also denied and lied to parliament and the country about, whereas Sturgeon forgot to put on a mask. I don't know but I expect no one has been fined for not wearing a mask, but plenty have for parties etc

11 minutes ago, lost said:

Worst one was definitely Prof Ferguson as he was the architect of lockdowns. Boris obviously bad as he implemented them, You can make a case for Sturgeon being bad as she's tried to use covid for political gain. Generally though the biggest issue has been the attitude across the entire political spectrum that the elites are capable of understanding a more nuanced argument of younger people are generally at no risk but you need to be careful around vulnerable people whilst the plebs needed the sledgehammer approach of lockdowns. The worst pictures  came out of I think it was a political event in Belgium or Holland where the politicians were posing for group photos, no masks whilst the staff and waiters around them were all masked.

Worst was definitely Johnson in my opinion. Ferguson was one of many advisors, lockdowns were not unique to this country, and he was seeing his girlfriend which was wrong but not massive piss take like Bojo and his partypeople.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

well...I guess...but looks like Johnson's breach of rules was multiple times,

sturgeon's breech is the number of times shes been caught.

if shes done it once shes likely done it other times.

9 minutes ago, Neil said:

sturgeon's breech is the number of times shes been caught.

if shes done it once shes likely done it other times.

yeah, well maybe she should think more....but everyone has done it...gone in places and forgotten to put mask on...easy mistake to make...a lot easier than to mistakenly attend a party, then another one, and then another etc

Edited by steviewevie