news & politics:discussion

zahidf

The shit reality is that nothing has really changed. Everyone knows he lied about the parties and he won’t resign for moral or integrity reasons. 

Until there is an actual system in place for automatically expelling members of Parliament who lie they will continue to do so. 

Relying on them to do the decent thing isn’t going to happen with this corrupt bunch. 

I thought Sunak might resign given he was already on a bit of a losing streak with all the revelations about his finances piling up before this. Could still yet be something that drags on for a few weeks, maybe even after the local elections if the Tories do badly at them. There does seem to be a degree of denial from some in blue about what's happened here.

53 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I thought Sunak might resign given he was already on a bit of a losing streak with all the revelations about his finances piling up before this. Could still yet be something that drags on for a few weeks, maybe even after the local elections if the Tories do badly at them. There does seem to be a degree of denial from some in blue about what's happened here.

The local elections feel like make or break for them. Expect lots of culture war stuff over the next couple of weeks. I’m sure the BBC and trans people/the ‘woke brigade’ will all come in for a bashing.

8 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

Convenient for them to be issued while they’re on holiday so won’t get a grilling in the commons tomorrow. 

Are these notices the legal equivalent of a speeding ticket? Although against the law it doesn’t give you a criminal record or are they a higher level. 

Surely it is now absolute proof that the lying twat did lie in Parliament and has to be called out on it. 

Yeah the timing fucking stinks. I'm glad it's taken the shine off Sunak even more, but surely that consolidates Boris' position. No one else immediately obvious to replace them. The c**ts just get away with it again.

7 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Amount of money Sunak has as well, the fine is meaningless. Make him do some kind of community service instead. I'll come and watch.

If the fine was a percentage of income we could have probably had enough money to build a new hospital. 

25 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

We really need a general election. 

that's really not going to happen...and even then tories may well win again but likely with a much smaller majority...Bojo will do his war leader thing with lots of pictures of him walking around with the man Zelensky. For labour to have any chance they would need a really clear vision and exciting manifesto showing how they could improve things...maybe it could be done...and tories are kind of in a total shambles at moment...and I'm kind of changing my mind as I write this...

Don't labour need about a 10 point lead to have just a one seat majority?

Would an election fix inflation anyway? Firstly despite the reason changing monthly from covid supply chain disruptions to war etc.. we all know the damage was really done by the money printing in lockdown. Now to get it under control its the BOE's remit and as Rachel Reeves is ex-BOE I can't see her coming in and forcing a different strategy on them. 

Edited by lost

23 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

that's really not going to happen...and even then tories may well win again but likely with a much smaller majority...Bojo will do his war leader thing with lots of pictures of him walking around with the man Zelensky. For labour to have any chance they would need a really clear vision and exciting manifesto showing how they could improve things...maybe it could be done...and tories are kind of in a total shambles at moment...and I'm kind of changing my mind as I write this...

Don't labour need about a 10 point lead to have just a one seat majority?

Obviously it’s not, but we do really need one. Stop buying into the PR shots, we have a criminal in No 10 and need an opportunity to vote him out. 

16 minutes ago, lost said:

Would an election fix inflation anyway? Firstly despite the reason changing monthly from covid supply chain disruptions to war etc.. we all know the damage was really done by the money printing in lockdown. Now to get it under control its the BOE's remit and as Rachel Reeves is ex-BOE I can't see her coming in and forcing a different strategy on them. 

no, an election wouldn't fix inflation in short term, it is hitting countries everywhere...but it could change how economy looks in the future. I guess the argument is where Johnson's govt taking us...by all accounts he likes to spend and sees how levelling up and net zero are important, but they are a divided party on all this with some still believing in more thatcherite policies like Sunak, and others believing in more state interventions like Johnson. Problem for labour at moment is where do they stand on all this...how are they going to deal with the many problems this country already has and will have as we move away from fossil fuels? Big questions require a big vision.

Edited by steviewevie

26 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Depressingly I think the Tories would still win. 

If there was an election now, I don't think they would actually. I think the Tories have underestimated the anger in the country over this. 

If there was a change in leadership, maybe they would, but I think they are hoping that the British public will forget all about it in 2 years time. Any opposition worth it's salt will try to make sure that doesn't happen.

21 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

As the days pass I get more and more confused with the "Yeah but Labour aren't offering an electable alternative" narrative. Wtf do the Conservatives have to do, in order for ANY other party to be a better alternative? Shoot a baby? Fire a nuke?

yeah, it is unfair...but labour have to offer a decent alternative to persuade a lot of people to vote for them, the electoral map and press just favours the tories. In the end, a lot of people still love boris because of brexit, and they don't trust labour with the economy/crime/defence/monarchy etc...although inevitably Ozanne will post some polls showing that labour are currently ahead of the tories on most of this. Labour are definitely doing better these days with all this partygate and cost of living stuff...but is it enough to win an election, not sure.

14 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

The news needs to be asking similar questions to people who voted Tory...  the ones who don't vote Tory are kind of irrelevant. 

It’s hard to find a Tory voter to interview who they can broadcast before the watershed. 

53 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

As the days pass I get more and more confused with the "Yeah but Labour aren't offering an electable alternative" narrative. Wtf do the Conservatives have to do, in order for ANY other party to be a better alternative? Shoot a baby? Fire a nuke?

I’ve no idea why Johnson has this effect on people. The mental gymnastics some people go through to defend is staggering. He’s tarnishing the Office of PM and the country.