news & politics:discussion

zahidf

The trans rights thing is definitely the hot cuuture war topic right now...and as always I'm going to be all centrist dad about it and basically agree with both sides. Just making it another war with one side right, the other wrong, and no room for compromise or compassion is definitely not the way forward....but that is where we are heading.

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

The trans rights thing is definitely the hot cuuture war topic right now...and as always I'm going to be all centrist dad about it and basically agree with both sides. Just making it another war with one side right, the other wrong, and no room for compromise or compassion is definitely not the way forward....but that is where we are heading.

There’s no evidence that it is such a devises topic in the public but the Tories think it is. The cost of living is a much bigger issue that they are ignoring.  

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

There’s no evidence that it is such a devises topic in the public but the Tories think it is. The cost of living is a much bigger issue that they are ignoring.  

yeah...sure...but I don't know..it's all the tories have right? I mean, what are there actual plans...net zero? levelling up? these are all great ideas, and are actually essential, but we have a chancellor who is old school osborne/thatcherite...doesn't want to spend big on all that stuff, thinks promising a tax rise in a couple of years is more important than helping those at the bottom pay their bills,  and a PM who is weak and in the thoes to his backbenches who are more ideological english nationalist these days. So...what else is there? Bang on about brexit because it has worked so well for them in the past, and get some more culture war stuff going..statues or trans or whatever. So far they have not been able to get Starmer on brexit or patriotism, so it's now trans...can a woman have a penis etc...because they see a weakness and some division they can stoke. But in the end all this culture/social stuff just rots away at us, we just turn in on each other, familes and friends get divided. It's grim, but works so well these days when that's all there is.

17 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah...sure...but I don't know..it's all the tories have right? I mean, what are there actual plans...net zero? levelling up? these are all great ideas, and are actually essential, but we have a chancellor who is old school osborne/thatcherite...doesn't want to spend big on all that stuff, thinks promising a tax rise in a couple of years is more important than helping those at the bottom pay their bills,  and a PM who is weak and in the thoes to his backbenches who are more ideological english nationalist these days. So...what else is there? Bang on about brexit because it has worked so well for them in the past, and get some more culture war stuff going..statues or trans or whatever. So far they have not been able to get Starmer on brexit or patriotism, so it's now trans...can a woman have a penis etc...because they see a weakness and some division they can stoke. But in the end all this culture/social stuff just rots away at us, we just turn in on each other, familes and friends get divided. It's grim, but works so well these days when that's all there is.

Oh yeah, you are right, that is all they have. They have no policies or solutions to anything. So they have to hide behind things like Brexit and no the culture wars. I think it’s one where they aren’t in-line with the public though.

When quite a sizeable portion will struggle with energy bills who is going to care about Starmers thoughts on female genitalia?

Watching the labour party conference the trans thing seemed to be a massive and causing all sorts of issues. Speakers mentioning signs that had appeared in the women's toilets etc.. Its probably more a case of journalists wanting to create the news as much as report it and though the general public don't care that much its similar to the Israel/Palestine stuff in that it can rip the labour party apart. 

1 hour ago, lost said:

Watching the labour party conference the trans thing seemed to be a massive and causing all sorts of issues. Speakers mentioning signs that had appeared in the women's toilets etc.. Its probably more a case of journalists wanting to create the news as much as report it and though the general public don't care that much its similar to the Israel/Palestine stuff in that it can rip the labour party apart. 

yeah, and more and more women definitely do care about this issue...as well as LGBT campaigners...and it's a minefield and could be a problem for labour, but also for the other political parties too.

23 hours ago, steviewevie said:

and a PM who is weak and in the thoes to his backbenches who are more ideological english nationalist these days

i agree that spaffer has to keep the ukip wing happy, but i cant see anything english nationalist about the current govt, it's a slur thrown about by scot nats who are that nasty nationalist,. if westminster was really that, they could do some sxcot nats types policies to exclude scots from benefiitting from govt policy.

11 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

The civil servant in charge of ethics and proprietary at Whitehall is the first to get fined over partygate. 

I wonder how much she was compensated in order to take the fall. 

i bet people like her will claim the fine back on expenses.

On 4/1/2022 at 7:40 PM, Barry Fish said:

After scientists became exposed as being deeply political during covid I think they will struggle to get people to listen to their doom mongering now .

The likes of Deepti, Pagel and Indy Sage really hurt the image of science sadly.

I am not sure on that at all. People like yourself that were all over this maybe. Most folks were just getting on and science saved us with Vaccines.

On climate, I think most are in denial, they know that the scientists are correct but it just seems to big.  Sometimes hard to relate it all sadly.

We are fucked

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

I am not sure on that at all. People like yourself that were all over this maybe. Most folks were just getting on and science saved us with Vaccines.

On climate, I think most are in denial, they know that the scientists are correct but it just seems to big.  Sometimes hard to relate it all sadly.

We are fucked

I'm sure most people want climate change to be sorted as long as doesn't impact on their lives at all...which is going to be impossible.