Glasto politics: Non covid news

zahidf

27 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Same applies to Starmer though.

It's only the most ardent Corbynites that were never willing to give him a chance. Most were, to the point of, y'know, electing him head of the party. 

So far he's not been convincing at all. But ultimately it'll come down to the manifesto.

After Corbyn I was glad to see Starmer take over but I don't think he is having a good pandemic.  With all the Tory failures he has neither stroke a big blow on them or offered an alternative picture I would like to see.

I guess he can't win at the moment - like you say it will come down to the manifesto in a few years time if he survives that long.

4 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

After Corbyn I was glad to see Starmer take over but I don't think he is having a good pandemic.  With all the Tory failures he has neither stroke a big blow on them or offered an alternative picture I would like to see.

I guess he can't win at the moment - like you say it will come down to the manifesto in a few years time if he survives that long.

This is where I am with it too - he would get ripped apart in future if he comes out with concrete promises and policies now, then finds the pandemic lasts a lot longer for whatever reason and we have a wasteland of a economy, or even if he promises things based on life now then things bounce back hugely. You can only imagine whoever is against him at the debates throwing those things back at him

But then as you say he might not last that long precisely for not being able to see the future. 

A few pages back, someone asked what the big issue would be post-Brexit and post-Covid.

Well, it looks like the Tories are already rolling out 'immigrants' again - straight from the Nazi playbook. Between this and Farage's beach invasion shtick, it looks like middle-England have the champions they need to keep them safe.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56500680

1 minute ago, maelzoid said:

A few pages back, someone asked what the big issue would be post-Brexit and post-Covid.

Well, it looks like the Tories are already rolling out 'immigrants' again - straight from the Nazi playbook. Between this and Farage's beach invasion shtick, it looks like middle-England have the champions they need to keep them safe.

There's an idea that EU citizens and other immigrants get access to services to the detriment of Brits.

5 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

It's not just middle-england that likes this stuff...red wall areas too which are part of the new tory coalition.

So, it will all be culture/value stuff...immigration, EU, crime, protests, statues. Labour will want to make it about the economy, but tories will keep stoking the culture war anger as they seem to benefit most. Grim.

24 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Predictably ignoring the last few polls which have been way worse:

But hey - don't let facts get in the way of your bizarre obsession with painting STarmer in the best light possible!

Spaffer does a backing Britain thing which is popular.CrObyn hated everything about the country which went down badly Starmer is trying to be more positive about the country it's where the votes are.

Just now, eFestivals said:

Spaffer does a backing Britain thing which is popular.CrObyn hated everything about the country which went down badly Starmer is trying to be more positive about the country it's where the votes are.

Plus the vaccination program will be a big part of an increase in popularity for the Tories. Although it’s interesting that Johnson’s own ratings aren’t improving a huge amount and we are seeing a lot of leaks against Johnson recently too. You should never count Johnson out but I think there might be a move against him at some point this year by his MPs.