news & politics:discussion

zahidf

24 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Predictably ignoring the last few polls which have been way worse:

But hey - don't let facts get in the way of your bizarre obsession with painting STarmer in the best light possible!

Spaffer does a backing Britain thing which is popular.CrObyn hated everything about the country which went down badly Starmer is trying to be more positive about the country it's where the votes are.

Just now, eFestivals said:

Spaffer does a backing Britain thing which is popular.CrObyn hated everything about the country which went down badly Starmer is trying to be more positive about the country it's where the votes are.

Plus the vaccination program will be a big part of an increase in popularity for the Tories. Although it’s interesting that Johnson’s own ratings aren’t improving a huge amount and we are seeing a lot of leaks against Johnson recently too. You should never count Johnson out but I think there might be a move against him at some point this year by his MPs. 

12 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Asking 100 hardcore left wing Corbynites their opinion does not accurately reflect the whole countries opinion.

Maybe post something from a less biased source. 

The polling is from YouGov tho, 

2 minutes ago, Homer said:

Much like crowd noise at the football, someone seems to have added canned laughter at PMQs.

They seem louder in the Commons today. 

Johnson seems to be getting in a stumble over the numbers they are cutting the armed forces by. 

10 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Its hard to see Boris fighting the next election.  Brexit done - Britain saved from killer virus... rides off into the sunset before anyone can say a bad word...

If I was him I would quit before the enquiry.

Much like Trump, he always wanted the 'prize' of being head of state, but had zero interest in doing the work involved.

I'm not inclined to put too much weight behind today's 'greed and capitalism' story. In the context of a meeting, it certainly could have been meant in jest, but interesting that someone within that room leaked it so quickly. Equally my impression of the man is he cannot comprehend why anyone would be motivated to do anything at all unless significant personal gain was the result, so the comment is well on brand. And as we know, his MO is to appear incompetent in a comedic manner to mask his genuine incompetence.

I'm not sure he will quit that soon though. If he leaves before a certain amount of time, it will look like cowardice. Most PMs regarded as successful win at least a couple of GEs to cement their popularity.

2 minutes ago, Haan said:

We're well over 3 years away from an election so I find these kind of polls pretty irrelevant.

As a tactic, polling badly, before turning it around in the year leading up to the GE is actually a sound political move. Not that he is intentionally botching his reputation, but if he were...

Just now, Ozanne said:

A pretty middle of the road PMQs today, although it’s quite something when the PM refuses to accept that a reduction in the number of armed forces personnel is a cut. 

Nice to see Starmer actually calling out Spaffer for avoiding the questions he’s being asked. 

22 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

We're well over 3 years away from an election so I find these kind of polls pretty irrelevant.

As a tactic, polling badly, before turning it around in the year leading up to the GE is actually a sound political move. Not that he is intentionally botching his reputation, but if he were...

Lol the excuses for Keith get increasingly absurd. He’s shit, labour will lose unless he’s booted out or radically changes tack away from discredited, unpopular Blairism.

30 minutes ago, Haan said:

4 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

2D6BEB73-26EA-4A28-9DE6-8722B1CFE594.jpeg

This poll was created to be highly critical of Starmer so it will have been shared around the Corbynite cult in order to discredit him.  

The vast majority of the country aren’t active on YouGov and most of those that are won’t bother with such a trivial poll. The only people that are bothered about this poll are those who are critical of Starmer. Just because it’s on YouGov doesn’t mean it’s unbiased. 

9 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Lol the excuses for Keith get increasingly absurd. He’s shit, labour will lose unless he’s booted out or radically changes tack away from discredited, unpopular Blairism.

Who would you rather have they have there?

Most from all sides of the political spectrum I know are fans of Lisa Nandy. Burnham also in with a shout?

4 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

I didn't mean it as an excuse - I'm no defender of Labour. It was meant more as an observation about how irrelevant current polling is to an election that will likely be held in 2024, and how someone shooting up in the polls close to an election is actually perceived more positively than someone who has been sitting comfortably at the top of the polls for a while.

Blair is the only Labour politician to win a GE in over 45 years. If his politics is unpopular and discredited, what does that say about the remaining Labour pols?

22 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Who would you rather have they have there?

Most from all sides of the political spectrum I know are fans of Lisa Nandy. Burnham also in with a shout?

Burnham would be good but he’s not an MP which he would need to be. 

29 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

This poll was created to be highly critical of Starmer so it will have been shared around the Corbynite cult in order to discredit him.  

The vast majority of the country aren’t active on YouGov and most of those that are won’t bother with such a trivial poll. The only people that are bothered about this poll are those who are critical of Starmer. Just because it’s on YouGov doesn’t mean it’s unbiased. 

I don't think the polling means much at this stage, but I highly doubt the YouGov poll is biased, would you say it was biased when polls were favourable for Starmer? 

17 minutes ago, Haan said:

I don't think the polling means much at this stage, but I highly doubt the YouGov poll is biased, would you say it was biased when polls were favourable for Starmer? 

YouGov is only as reliable as the people voting on a particular poll. We’re nowhere near a general election so people aren’t using the site as much as they would then. You’d only be sharing that poll with others such as that one around if you had your own agenda to promote. The anti-Starmer lot are a passionate minority and will jump on any opportunity to discredit him. 

That poll wasn’t being shared on general internet boards but you know it would have been spread around by the far left community, probably by the same entity that posted the results on Twitter. 

If you have an agenda to push you can find the right echo chamber to back up your opinion. 

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Despite the links the yougov polling for elections usually stacks up come election day.

It's work is done long before then- mixed with behavioural scientists, the nudge unit, social media and traditional media leaks/manipulation its surely playing a part in at the very least confirming that their other tactics work. At worst the behavioural scientists know exactly how to word the questions to get the answers the government wants. 

Just one big melting pot of manipulation, and so much of the country falls for it 

14 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

YouGov is only as reliable as the people voting on a particular poll. We’re nowhere near a general election so people aren’t using the site as much as they would then. You’d only be sharing that poll with others such as that one around if you had your own agenda to promote. The anti-Starmer lot are a passionate minority and will jump on any opportunity to discredit him. 

That's a complete misrepresentation of how YouGov works though.

https://yougov.co.uk/about/panel-methodology/