news & politics:discussion

zahidf

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Pretty much.

there's so many ways that this could easily spill over to something much bigger, scary as fuck.

What happens if Russia go full on with dropping missiles and flaming everywhere with their massive flame thrower in Kyiv, which leads to massive destruction of buildings, the government, and civilians...as many think could happen. What does Nato do then? Pretty much ran out of sanctions. And then over the years there is constant fighting in Ukraine which spills over into Modova, Belarus, and then the Baltics/Poland/Romania...what then?! Boom, that's what. Someone needs to take Putin out.

41 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

seems that way, no word of any further talks....maybe it was just a bit of theatre from both sides. Depressing.

I do think there needs to be a ceasefire before talks can go anywhere. Seems bad faith to be talking to someone while still attacking them (sure it happens all the time).

29 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

they probably couldn't get any cash out either.

Apparently loads of Russian tourists in same situation in Sri Lanka, unable to withdraw funds....

But then also the Ukrainians are unable to fly directly home either, thankfully lots of welcoming Sri Lankan locals and some foreign residents are helping out hundreds of Ukrainian families by offering accommodation, food etc despite the country being on it's arse! 

Edited by Paul ™

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

Yeah I have a feeling Kyiv is going to be under an onslaught very soon. I feel for those people 🙁

2 of my team left their homes there. I very much think there won't be anything for them to go back to. 

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Stupid question but are they ok?

They are all safe at present. One got to Poland and others are in quieter parts of Ukraine. They're all working believe it or not with their Russian colleagues. That's the madness of this whole thing. Of the ones I've skyped privately some are much angrier than others. They are all very scared. One had to leave our stand up yesterday because of explosions in the distance and she had to get to safety. 

12 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

They are all safe at present. One got to Poland and others are in quieter parts of Ukraine. They're all working believe it or not with their Russian colleagues. That's the madness of this whole thing. Of the ones I've skyped privately some are much angrier than others. They are all very scared. One had to leave our stand up yesterday because of explosions in the distance and she had to get to safety. 

That’s the thing isn’t it, it’s not the Russian people it’s their government. I’m glad they are doing ok and I hope it stays that way.